AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im currently looking for a pair of bookshelf/monitor speakers. which one do you guys prefer based on your listening experience? psb image b25s or the paradigm mini monitors? other recommendations within the price range ($300 to $400) thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Get ready for the influx of brands/models people will recommend...

Personally, I prefer the B25, I like it very much, and find it a great buy in it's price point. Besides the two speakers you mentioned, I would only add two more, or your list will get extremely large. I also recommend:

Energy RC-10 (Could be over the $400.00 mark, but I see them on-sale every now and then for less than $400.00)

Monitor Audio Bronze Series, or take advantage of www.saturdayaudio.com that has a sale on Silver Series.

Check this threads at another forum:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=40137

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=39934

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the response

i like both speakers but im leaning towards the b25s cause i can get it cheaper im just worried that cheap electronics might make it sound bad.

when i auditioned b25s were driven by a mid priced nad stereo amp while the mini monitors were driven by a denon a/v 2802 receiver. ill be using an onkyo htib receiver for now hopefully upgrade in the future. any opinions/suggestions

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
I owned the PSB b25 and quickly returned them. They were great with vocals and clasical type music, but any rock or HEAVY music and these things lost all detail and sounded very muddy. They couldn't keep up and compressed the sound. I also owned the PSB T45 and those were much, much better. I like PSB speakers but I find the b25 a weak link in the image lineup. I read through alot of forums and found alot of people having the same issue as me.

Anyway, I ended up getting the KEF IQ3 which is a much better speaker in the price range. Great imaging, smooth, and can keep up with any type of music. I would also consider the Energy RC-10. I have heard the bigger RCs and they sound amazing.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 /forum/post/12905760

I owned the PSB b25 and quickly returned them. They were great with vocals and clasical type music, but any rock or HEAVY music and these things lost all detail and sounded very muddy. They couldn't keep up and compressed the sound. I also owned the PSB T45 and those were much, much better. I like PSB speakers but I find the b25 a weak link in the image lineup. I read through alot of forums and found alot of people having the same issue as me.

Anyway, I ended up getting the KEF IQ3 which is a much better speaker in the price range. Great imaging, smooth, and can keep up with any type of music. I would also consider the Energy RC-10. I have heard the bigger RCs and they sound amazing.

If you go to above reference level volume, yes, it will happen when hearing rock, r&b, alternative, and similar music. I don't have that problem, as I rarely go loud. If you like KEF IQ3, you can find good price at:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/KEFIQ3BLK They also have them in walnut color.

Get a CD with your favorite music, go to the dealer, have him connect the B25's to the Onkyo or a Yamaha, and hear them. It is the only way you will know if you like them. Personally, I still believe they are a great buy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts