AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering getting PSB Image speaker and was looking for some opinoins on this setup. These speakers would be teamed with the Denon AVR-3802 Receiver. I would be getting the following:

Mains: Image 7PT

Center: Image 9C

Surrounds: Image 10S

Sub: Subsonic 6

Thanks in advanced for your help.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I have the older versions of both of these components (PSB Century series and Denon AVR-3300), and just love the sound. Everyone who hears my system is impressed. Since the Images are supposed to sound better than the Century's. and the 3802 is supposed to sound better than the 3300, you should have a great system there.

I'm jealous.

Mike

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Michael: Thank you for your reply. What sub are you using with your setup? How does the Denon Receiver handle the speakers?

I forgot to include this in my original post but my listening ration would be 99% Movies / 1% Music.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
You will love the 9C centre, especially its deep bass response.

I auditioned one at home last night and liked what the deep bass did. There is scene in The Fifth Element where Ruby makes his first appearance and there are a couple camera flashes. The POOF of these camera flashes startled me as they had some serious weight behind them !

- Andy

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Sounds good to me, no pun intended. My setup of 6T,9C and 2B works great. You will appreciate the absolute match of identical tweeters and woofers across the front. The surrounds you choose should give a really spacious affect and yet, you will have no problem localizing discrete DD or DTS surround effects.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for great reviews. This is exactly the kind of thing that makes we want those speakers even more. :D

A couple of more Questions:

- How will the Denon AVR-3802 handle these Speakers?

- What do you guys think of the Sub? Is there another sub with better performance for less/equal money than the Subsonic 6?

Thanks again for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
I have never been a fan of the PSB subs.

I think if you have poorer quailty speakers, then a cheap sub may sound good, like the PSB.

But with the quality of your 7PT & 9C, I woud look elsewhere for a better sub.

Also, try not using a sub at all and let the 3801 route the LFE through your mains. I did this with my 3801, and since my mains deliver very good low bass, I retired my NHT SubTwo. My mains fill my room with great unifrm bass & LFE, wheres I always knew where my NHT SubTwo was located, even when crossed over very low. Give it a try ... can only save you money.

- Andy

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Try to demo the 6 and 7PT speakers for a while. There is quite a bit of price difference between the two speakers. If I could have the 7PT for the price of the 6T, I suppose I might think about it, but I choose the 6T instead. You can't go wrong with the 5T, 6T or 7PT because they are very efficient and clean sounding.

Whether or not you get 7PT's is kind of a choice you have to make based on what suits you. I think, personally, that the 7PT's might be more designed for someone who is listening to music and does not use a subwoofer. The speakers are powered and will put out remarkable bass on their own. If you notice, the 7PT's have a 200 hz crossover for the lower most frequencies. If you get a subwoofer and choose SMALL for the front speaker settings, you will only use the 7PT's bass amp and woofers for the tiny range of roughly 80 or 100 hz to 200 hz. Now I know you could set the speakers to LARGE and use a subwoofer too, but that might be kinda bad with all the bass overlap etc. It depends on your room. I like setting my 6T's SMALL with my subwoofer, and yet, using them LARGE hasn't proven bad either. Experiment in the store. After having the speakers and a subwoofer for a while and you experiment, wouldn't it be a shame to realize you are setting the 7PT's to SMALL? I would seriously consider using the 6T's and a subwoofer. The 6T's I have use a 500 hz crossover. At least with my 6T's, I am not "wasting" the woofers because even when I set the fronts to small, the woofers are still working from 100hz to 500hz.

Perhaps shoot PSB an email and ask them what they think about using either a pair of 6T or 7PT's with a subwoofer and see what sort of input they give you. Then, go and listen to the speakers yourself. I listened to the 2B's, 5T's and 6T's in the store, but the store I dealt with allowed me to take the 6T's home and demo them over the weekend (Saturday night to Monday morning) and I was very very pleased. It took me a while to finally decide between the 5 and 6T, but at last I went for the 6T's and I'm very happy.

If you do get a subwoofer, I would restrict your choices to:

PSB Sub 7

Mirage BPS-400 (I choose this one)

Paradigm Servo 15 or;

An SVS subwoofer

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Andy,

i got your email but, i've been extremely busy so, i'll give ya my 2 cents here..When i was demoing speakers 6 months ago, i wemt for a listen to some PSB Image series speakers -the 6T,9C (forgot the sub used). I was BLOWN AWAY by the imaging&clarity of these speakers. They had an openess and airyness to them and, for the money, i thought they were a steal. However, i decided on a whim that if the Image series sounded this good, then what the hell, the Stratus series would have to be really incredible... i was right :)

They didn't have the Stratus series in the one store in my area that carry's PSB speakers so, i ordered the Stratus Silveri 's sight unseen (a-hem, unheard). I'm extremely happy to say the least. Next, i ordered an SVS 20-39PC sub. This is what i reccommend to you. For movies ya just can't beat it.. it goes loooooow man! What impact! I can't give you any input on the PSB sub, haven't heard one. More recently, i changed my surround speakers from the Infinity QPS1 qudrapoles to a pair of Image 10S's - i'm very happy with them as well. I would've bought the Stratus Mini's but placment was an issue for direct radiators.

The Image series is the bargain speaker for HT. Incredible sound, incredible value. Good luck with what you decide to get.

ps. forget the PSB sub, get an SVS! :)

- Chip

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Andy: Thank you for your feedback on the PSB sub. When I goto audition these Speakers I will be sure to listen to them without the aide of a Sub. Thanks for the suggestion.

Brian: Thank you for giving me your personal experince with the Subsonic 6. I will give the HSU sub a look at.

CPC: Thank you for the suggestion on giving the 6T a try. I will be sure to compare them when I goto audition the PSB Speakers. The one thing that I liked about the 7PTs was the fact that it was a full range speaker and allowed for flexibility. I sent PSB an e-mail concerning the 7PTs and 6T with a sub. Hopefully they will get back to me soon. I hope the store I’m going to has that same kind of deal yours did. That would be great if I would be able to give them a try at home.

Thank you for the Sub Recommendations. Out of curiosity, How come you restricted the subs to those four choices? I know it’s a little more then the price of the Sunsonic 6 but I would considering the Sunfire True Subwoofer Junior. What do you think of this sub?

Chip: Thank you for getting back to me. I appreciate your input on the Image speakers. I’m glad to hear that you had positive results with the 10S Surrounds. I think the SV Sub might be a little too big for my moderate sized room. I also don’t think it will go over too well with the Parents. However- I will still look into SV Subs.

Hopefully I will be able to audition the PSB’s on Saturday. I’ll keep everyone updated.. Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey there-

I have heard amazing things about these speakers myself, Andy:D . I say just buy them..but don't give your brick'n'mortar a hard time over the price!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy V
Michael: Thank you for your reply. What sub are you using with your setup? How does the Denon Receiver handle the speakers?

I forgot to include this in my original post but my listening ration would be 99% Movies / 1% Music.
That's about the same ratio I use, which is a shame because music sounds great on my system. I have a Toshiba SD-9200 DVD-Audio player hooked up and the Denon/PSB combination works great.

I have a Cerwin-Vega 12" sub. They aren't the greatest, but I also have a Clark Synthesis Tactile Transducer (bass shaker) mounted beneath the floor with its own 150W amp driving that. With this combination there is no lack of bass. I can not recommend the Clark TT's too highly.

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
I guess the 7PT is a bit more full range, but for my room, there is enough gain that going from 32hz to 25hz wasn't worth another $800 CAD. plus, of course, I have a subwoofer. I choose the 6T's because they have more bass on their own than my older Boston Acoustics, but they aren't too expensive. The 6T's and 7PT's look SOOOOO COOOL with all those drivers. I think what would have been the absolute ultimate, would be for PSB to have designed the speakers with another 6.5" mid-woofer above the tweeter to anchor the tweeter between the midrange drivers. It would probably be more efficient and have a tad more bass (although the added driver is kinda high). If you want an idea of what it would look like, just do what I did. Take the grilles off of a pair of 6 or 7PT's and take the grilles off of a pair of 2B's. Now take the PSB Image 2B and flip it upside down and stand it on top of the 6T and try to imagine the extra tweeter is not there. It looks so cool.

OK, thats getting crazy, off topic and not so useful....

I choose those subwoofers because I prefer acoustic suspension subwoofers. The Mirage BPS-400 is a really good subwoofer for the price. 2 x 12" drivers in a sealed cabinet with a 400 watt amplifier. The PSB Stratus SUB 7 is also good. Also, the SVS subwoofers are great too. And then there is the Paradigm Servo15. I can't comment on the Sunfire subwoofer. I have heard that is is good, but for the price, I think the subwoofers I have suggested are the best. Check them out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mike: Thanks for the follow up post.

CPC: Thanks again for the input. I will check out the Mirage BPS-400 sub. By the way: PSB got back to my E-mail with the following:

Quote:
Hello and thank you for your inquiry.

With the 7PT, I would certainly start out without a sub and see how you feel after a while. You may want to add one at some point for the very lowest, structure-shaking material, but you also may be very happy with the 7PT by itself. I probably would.

Thank you again for your interest.

John Milder for PSB
I wasn’t able to audition the speakers today because of the stores crazy hours. It looks like I’ll be going on Monday. I’m getting more excited each day about getting these speakers. Thanks again for everyone’s help.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Good luck. The speakers are so smooth and clean sounding, I think you will be very happy with either the 6T or 7PT.

Go to the store with an open mind and bring your CD's. Listen to other speakers out of curiosity. Since you are already very intrigued by the PSB Image speakers, I doubt you will find other speakers you prefer, after listening to the PSB's. Still, listen to other speakers too. You might hear something else you like.

I went to a store in March to listen to a set of PSB Alpha A/V's because I thought for sure I would buy them. I wanted to move away from my semi-bookshelf speakers to a sate subwoofer setup. I listened to the A/V's and was very impressed. I then compared the PSB Alpha A/V's to a set of Paradigm Atom's and then up to a pair of PSB Image 1B's. I then listened to Paradigm Titan's and PSB Image 2B's. I found the PSB's noticabley more efficient each time, as well as generally sounding better than the paradigms, to my ears. I went away unsure of what I wanted to do and eventually came back to listen to some 3 LR's and the 4T and 5T's. Well wouldn't you know it, after listening to the 5T's, I had to hear the 6T's and I never looked back :)

The extra drivers seem to add some depth and fullness to the sound. Again, take the grilles off just for a hoot. They look intimidating!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.