AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went auditioning replacements for my main entertainment system. After listening to several contenders in the 2K price range (LR mains), I am leaning towards either the PSB Imagines or the Paradigm Studio 60 v5s. I ruled out the B&W CM 7's as too laid back for my taste. Something about it just didn't have what the PSB provided in a A/B comparison. I listened to the Paradigms last, but didn't get to do an A/B with these. They seemed to be nearly as good as the PSB, which I thought had the best overall clarity.

You would think it was clear cut, but as always, there are lots of things to be concerned with and consider. First for some particulars of my room, which is fairly large at 14' x 25' x 8.5'high (2900 cu ft), with the theater setup in the center of one of the long walls firing across the 14'. This leads me to worry that the Imagines might get a little lost in the large space (which has a 5' arch to more space). I agree with Stereophile's review of both speakers in that the PSB's had a bit more mid-range clarity, and the Paradigms had a bit more low end punch. Both sounded very nice, at music listening levels for everything but the Paradigms did handle the Pink Floyd I threw on during the demo a little better.

Second, I would say I'm probably 70% HT 30% Music, so I really want the HT sound to be compelling. The Paradigms with the extra woofer elements and better low end handling would seem to play more towards this end. I know the sub can take up the slack in the low end too, so perhaps I shouldn't worry that the Imagines won't hold up in the room.

Another factor I need to take into account is that the Standout Designs entertainment stand that I bought only can accommodate a center speaker of roughly 8 1/2" or less. This leaves out all of the Paradigm Studio centers except the CC-490. I'm kind of bummed I can't fit the CC-590 (perhaps without feet?) if I go in the Paradigm direction.

Finally, I knocked around the internet a bit and found a pretty compelling deal on B stock (blemished) of the PSB Synchrony 2's for not terribly much more than the retail price of the PSB Imagines. I didn't get to demo these during my demoing session as they had recently sold the floor units :-( , but I've read so much good about these speakers that I wonder if I shouldn't consider moving up line to solve the large room problem, while getting a better speaker to boot (at the cost of making a SERIOUS dent in my wallet). I use a Yamaha RX-V1900 as my receiver. I wonder if that is enough receiver to really get a difference out of the Syncrhony 2's?

Thanks for any advice.

-Jim

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Nice problem to have! Too bad about the center size, in my view the Paradigms shine in comparison due to their superior center channel design, though if you get the Synchrony 1 center channel that advantage disappears...

I would encourage you to audition something from Monitor Audio as well. Perhaps RX6?

Ron

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Well I won't offer suggestions on the speaker choices, but your stand caught my eye and I faced when being concerned about center channel placement...

I built my own platform to put my center channel under and plasma on top.

And here is a better shot with my old Studios before upgrading to the Sigs.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs /forum/post/18311234

Nice problem to have! Too bad about the center size, in my view the Paradigms shine in comparison due to their superior center channel design, though if you get the Synchrony 1 center channel that advantage disappears...

I would encourage you to audition something from Monitor Audio as well. Perhaps RX6?

Ron

Agreed ron.... one of the reasons I went with Paradigm over PSB - the center design is superior, but of the PSBs I heard I felt they were very good performers for music...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:

The Synchrony 1 center is too tall too. The Synchrony 2 center will fit. Any idea how this stands up to the Paradigm center. I didn't audition centers yet, just the L/R
Quote:

Will do, I just checked and the dealer has those as well. I hadn't heard of them, so I had focused on PSB, Paradigm and B&W.

Thanks,

-Jim

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv /forum/post/18311268

Well I won't offer suggestions on the speaker choices, but your stand caught my eye and I faced when being concerned about center channel placement...

I built my own platform to put my center channel under and plasma on top.

Interesting solution. The result of course is a much higher screen placement. I'll keep that in mind. Do you find any issues with fatigue looking up while watching? Another Option I just thought of would be to go for a wall mount that only raises the screen enough to clear the center. I had been trying to avoid the wall mount so I could cut down on the viewing distance by placing the screen 18 or so inches forward on the stand, but as I'm toying with a larger screen size in the future (perhaps 65"), it could be a non-issue.

-Jim

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Ahhh Yah I love that 65" screen, which is 11ft away from the seating location, so raising it 11" was a complete non issue... In fact I prefer it slightly raised - I have the same situation on my bedroom wall....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Whatever you choose your receiver will be the weak link in the system. Not familiar with the Paradigm but the Imagines, from experience, definitely benefit from powerful amplification. Especially true if you go for the Synchrony - almost a crime to hook them up to an AV receiver... Keep in mind PSB demoes the Imagines with NAD C375, which is a beast for its price. If I were you I would budget an Emotiva power amp into the system to power your L/R, let the Yamaha cover the rest.

·
Registered
254 Posts
heckheck: I have recently auditioned Paradigm Studio 60/CC-490 v5 and PSB Image T6/C5 (not Imagine) at an authorized dealer in Allendale NJ. It wasn't true A/B because of the time and availability constraints but close enough. I would say, since HT is a big factor in your speaker choice Paradigm would be better suited though with CC-590 or if you can, CC-690 (BTW CC-690 is the recommended setup with Studio 60s, yeah I know, CC-690!!!). Again I have not auditioned PSB Imagine but at least between PSB Image and Paradigm Reference Studio 60, in my opinion Paradigm would be better overall. One thing I did not like about PSB Image was the center channel. I would suggest you try the Imagine center channel's off-axis performance before your purchase in the auditioning room I moved from one couch to other and immediately heard the difference with PSBs. As far as I know Paradigm CC-490/590 and PSB Image C5 and probably Imagine C all are standard MTM design but for some reason Paradigm Reference Studio centers shine and again HT being a big factor for your purchase audition them again if you can.

·
Registered
752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsnoob10 /forum/post/18331543

heckheck: I have recently auditioned Paradigm Studio 60/CC-490 v5 and PSB Image T6/C5 (not Imagine) at an authorized dealer in Allendale NJ. It wasn't true A/B because of the time and availability constraints but close enough. I would say, since HT is a big factor in your speaker choice Paradigm would be better suited though with CC-590 or if you can, CC-690 (BTW CC-690 is the recommended setup with Studio 60s, yeah I know, CC-690!!!). Again I have not auditioned PSB Imagine but at least between PSB Image and Paradigm Reference Studio 60, in my opinion Paradigm would be better overall. One thing I did not like about PSB Image was the center channel. I would suggest you try the Imagine center channel's off-axis performance before your purchase in the auditioning room I moved from one couch to other and immediately heard the difference with PSBs. As far as I know Paradigm CC-490/590 and PSB Image C5 and probably Imagine C all are standard MTM design but for some reason Paradigm Reference Studio centers shine and again HT being a big factor for your purchase audition them again if you can.

Since you're 70/30 HT, I would go with the Studios since they have a superior center channel, which will help deliver that center stage with the depth and dynamics you're looking for.

·
Registered
254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Whitehead /forum/post/18333307

Actually, they sound the same since they are both from Canada.

As far as I know PSB Image and Paradigm Studios DO NOT sound the same. Paradigms are bit brighter, has the oomph for HT and ideal for rock, hip-hop. PSB Image are laid back and ideal for jazz, classical. Not sure about Imagine but just because they are from Canada does not make them sound the same.

·
Registered
752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Whitehead /forum/post/18333307

Actually, they sound the same since they are both from Canada.

Haha what?? Do Paradigm and Energy sound the same too? What about Klipsch, Martin Logan, and Polk? They certainly don't sound like each other even though they are all from the US.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Are you guys so serious you can't detect a joke?

Didn't they sound the same because they're MADE IN CANADA give it away?

I give up on trying to inject some humor from time to time in these Forums. You all lack a sene of humor

·
Registered
752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Whitehead /forum/post/18341412

Are you guys so serious you can't detect a joke?

Didn't they sound the same because they're MADE IN CANADA give it away?

I give up on trying to inject some humor from time to time in these Forums. You all lack a sene of humor

Haha I had a feeling you were joking, but it's very hard to detect on these forums. You never know what people really think.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am in the same shoes as the OP. Looking for L/R for $1500 - $2000 by end of this year. Currently, I have PSB T45's, C40 & B15 for my HT setup. Denon AVR-2808 and eD A2-300 are my other components.

After doing a lot of research and listening and help from a lot of members on this forum...i have decided to add XPA-5 to my components list by Labor day weekend. I have updated my plasma from 46" to 60" this past month.

The only thing that is left in my upgrade is Speakers & room acoustics. Now my usage is 75/25 HT. room size is 18' L x 12' W with 11' cielings. There is a way leading to dining area to left of listening position (facing HT).

I am also looking for my L/R to cover the low freq better than what I have since I cannot use my subwoofer during late night movies (Living in Apartment). My total budget would be $3k excluding subwoofer.

So far...i have listened to PSB Image T's & Imagine T6. I am planning to listen to Totem, Paradigm 60's V5, Monitor RX8, Mythos and Vandersteen models soon. I read about Salk but could not demo it.

Any other suggestions on the models that I need to check out?

Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts