AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Silly question, really. Still, have to ask:

Am I at any risk of damaging my speakers by running this amp:

NAD 701 Stereo Receiver / Amplifier. The 701's amplification stage provides 25 watts per channel into 8 ohms and Extended Dynamic Powerpermits untroubled peaks of 85 warts into 8 ohms. NAD Soft Clipping, CD, video and phono inputs,selectable mono and loudness switches...etc
Power output: 25 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)
Frequency response: 12Hz to 45kHz
Total harmonic distortion: 0.03%
Damping factor: 50
Input sensitivity: 2.5mV (MM), 160mV (line)
Signal to noise ratio: 75dB (MM), 101dB (line)
Speaker load impedance: 4Ω to 8Ω

(I just bought it as a spare) with my PSB Platinum T6's? They are recommended to have 50-100w per channel. The NAD 701 has 25 Watts / channel into 8 ohms with extended dynamic power permitting "untroubled peals of 85w into 8 ohms". Given that I have been merrily running my NAD 314 (35w / channel) with no issues, I am guessing the difference of 10w/channel is negligible and that the 85 into 8 ohms thing means all will be ok... but I am not a tech-head and wanted to see if someone who knows more than me can clarify.....

I am aware that 25/35w/ channel with NAD amps is equivalent to a lot more than that in terms of actual power... (and I am also aware NAD is a partner company or something with PSB)....

Thanks for listening to my luddite question and hope someone can clear it all up for me...

Also, if anyone happens to have any spare feet for these, let me know... I'm missing a set (only have one, as opposed to the pair and they are expensive to replace!)

·
The Village Idiot
9,715 Posts
As long as you aren't trying to play them at ear splitting levels either amp should be fine. Published specs for the T6 is 90db efficiency and 4ohms. I'd make sure your amp is ok with 4ohm loads. The quick way to know is if the amp has A and B speakers - usually there will be a small warning label about driving two pairs of speakers that are less than 8ohm. A 4ohm load on an amp makes for more usable power so your amp may be able to put out half again as much with those speakers.

Keep an ear open to possible distortion or you could fry a tweeter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Yes, both NAD amps have A and B speaker output options at min 4 ohm load. You can manually set it to 8 or leave it at 4 (which mine are set at).

As long as you aren't trying to play them at ear splitting levels either amp should be fine. Published specs for the T6 is 90db efficiency and 4ohms. I'd make sure your amp is ok with 4ohm loads. The quick way to know is if the amp has A and B speakers - usually there will be a small warning label about driving two pairs of speakers that are less than 8ohm. A 4ohm load on an amp makes for more usable power so your amp may be able to put out half again as much with those speakers.

Keep an ear open to possible distortion or you could fry a tweeter.

·
The Village Idiot
9,715 Posts
I would set the power switch to 8ohm and monitor for excessive heat. All that switch does is cut power to the speakers - not something you want to do with so little on tap to begin with. The amp will probably be just fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All good so far running my Nad 701 with the T6's, with the amp set at 8ohm. The most revelatory part is that the 701 has a freaking remote so I can turn sh#t up and down from the couch!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts