AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 7503 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have:

Fronts: 7pt's (in limbo)

Fronts(for the time being): 2b's (normally the back surrounds)

Center: Image C40 (actually its predicessor, but my mind is blanking)

Surrounds/side-surrounds: 10S's

Subwoofer: S.S. 6i

Denon 3805

Pioneer DVC-503 (5-disk)

Dish DVR

Xbox

Future upgrade to Infocus IN76 (next 6-8 months, and also why the 7pts are in limbo)

I love my psbs. I also listened to Paradigms, Klipsch, Polk. Just didn't get the quality for the same cost as the PSBs. I guess that is just repeating what most coming to this forum already understand.

Firebook: How do you like that NAD T534 DVD Player?

My usage is probably 25% movies, 25% Xbox, 35% SDTV, 15% Music.

My room that is being built along with finishing the basement is about 2.5 months from completion. Once the system is moved down there the % of movies will go up considerably. The room is 15 X 24 X 9.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoeHammer865 /forum/post/0

Firebook: How do you like that NAD T534 DVD Player?

I love my NAD Very musical, and great for movies. (dvd audio sounds great as well)

2.5 months you might be able to get the T535 DVD player that will be out soon ... or so i hear.

As you may or may not know NAD Electronics and PSB Speakers are owned by the same company so a lot of the time they sound really nice together.

-k

·
Registered
507 Posts
Another PSB Goldi owner. Ironically enough, I had some MG 2.7QR for a short while that my wife loved but just didn't do it for me. I also have a SVS passive sub and some PSB A/V rear speakers. I power them with a pair of Parasound HCA1200 amplifierw through an Audio Reseach LS3 preamp.

I really enjoy my Golds and second the recommendation above of the Stratus Silver, Stratus Bronze and Stratus Minis. All received great reviews and be found a bargain prices now.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I'm seriously considering the Platinum T6/in cabinet CHS 60.

The only reason is because it is a speaker designed to outwit the effects of putting a speaker in a bookshelf/near a wall.

However it happens to be to my advantage that the components come from the highest end model PSB offers. Of course that makes it about 50% too much money. I have currently an all Onix Reference setup (still less than the cost of a pair of CH40's). I have heard ascends, JBL, canton, Athena, PSB alpha's, energy takes, Tyler Freedoms, yamaha, infinity, wharfedale, mirage, monitor bronze, martin logan, energy connoseur, kef, bose, orb, and some others that don't come to mind in the 60 seconds I took to write this.

Does anyone know how the platinums compare? Does anyone know where a good platinum setup can be heard that I can bring my ref 1's to hear against?

Seth W.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
--sethwas--

you can buy PSB Platinum Speakers at most PSB Speakers Dealer But as far as a demo, it may be a bit harder to find. Try.

Awesome Home Theater

351 Plaza Drive

Eustis

FL

352-589-7012

Accusonic

Appointment Only

Miami,

FL

305-220-8556

As far as comparing Platinum with PSB In-cabinet Speakers I found them very close. If you are looking for an in-cabinet speaker these are one of the better ones on the market today.

Have a listen to the PSB Speakers In-Cabinet CHS40 which i think will work in most small to medium size rooms (with a good Subwoofer ... that way you'll be able to save a bit of money

hope you find a dealer where you can take a listen because it will be worth it.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Yeah, I know the 80 in cabinet is overkill. The 60 may be as well. The 40 is the perfect size but it is the only model that does not have a direct 'sister' speaker in a non-cabinet design.

The appointment-only bit I'm shying away from and the other one, well, people underestimate the size of Florida. That's 270 miles away, as in over an hour flight. I'd have to book a flight to Orlando, then rent a car. Funny that some online resellers have their warehouses here in S. Florida but not the boutique stores. I thought there was a place in west palm (also a 90 minute drive) that had them.

Seth

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
My experience here with PSB, i read the AVS fourm -years ago- about "best speakers for $$$" so i went to try those different recommendions, PSB was one. I found a company here in a warehouse then did highend comerical installs-(resturants -new tech building) they where auth. reps. but most "normal" purchasers would not have gone to this location-or area......

They were planning to move to a new location (good move) and they said they would sell me their demos for a very very good price. they had less than 25 hrs on them . i have the orginal speaker box, the hardware was still in mfg sealed bags. couldn't be happier....

db

Dealer: still in a warehouse...... still Rep.'s them...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas /forum/post/0

Yeah, I know the 80 in cabinet is overkill. The 60 may be as well. The 40 is the perfect size but it is the only model that does not have a direct 'sister' speaker in a non-cabinet design.

The PSB Platinum M2 is the sister to the CHS40.

Sorry to hear that there is no place to hear these speakers near you. I would see if you can get a hold of the PSB rep for Florida and see if he could be any help, or call PSB's 905-831-6555 and ask for PSB America

·
Registered
175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebook23 /forum/post/0

The PSB Platinum M2 is the sister to the CHS40.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. The only thing they share between the CHS40 and the M2 is the tweeter.

The CHS 40 is a 3-way and has one 8" bass woofer, one 4" midrange, and a 1" tweeter.

The M2 is a 2-way speaker and has one 6.5" woofer, and one 1" tweeter.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but just curious as to what you found to be "sister" like. I agree with Samwas that the CHS40 is the only one that doesn't have "sister".

Foe

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoeHammer865 /forum/post/0

Not trying to rain on your parade, but just curious as to what you found to be "sister" like. I agree with Samwas that the CHS40 is the only one that doesn't have "sister".Foe

your right Foe, the m2 is not the sister (more like a bastard cousin) of the CHS40. The only sister to the CHS40 would be the CW383 In-wall Speaker

sorry for the confusion. I think that you'll still get very similar performance out of the CHS40 and the M2.

·
Registered
175 Posts
bastard cousin? I love it! LOL

Your probably right.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by subversive /forum/post/0

Nice pics, firebook. Any idea if the Image series is also getting updated/getting a new look?

The PSB Speakers Image Series was the last to get a face lift about 8 months ago, so i am sure that It will be quite some time. the original Image was around for about 5 years. So if you are planning on buying this is the time to do it, as you'll have new up-to-date product for at least 2-3 years.

Look for a PSB Speakers Stratus Series update next.

PSB Speakers has just launched the NEW Alpha Series on their home page. have a look.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbill /forum/post/0

I posted my opinion of 3 x CHS40s, 4 x 180s, and the 212 sub (all good) here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=chs

greenbill are you still having trouble with not liking them for your two channel set up? the CHS40's have a wide dispersion but I guess putting them above a door is asking a little to much

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:

greenbill are you still having trouble with not liking them for your two channel set up? the CHS40's have a wide dispersion but I guess putting them above a door is asking a little to much

Actually, I just never use 2 channel anymore. After experimenting for a while, I think 7.1 (through Dolby IIx) sounds better in all circumstances (music and HT), even though it's not true to the original format. I should also add that my listening position is always in the same place.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Well,

In my conceived setup with the CHS boxes I was going to put them inside skinny bookcases that would stand where regular towers stand so that they are in an 'ideal' setup albeit inside a cabinet. My only concern is that I just won't like the tonality of the speakers.

Seth

·
Registered
230 Posts

Quote:

The PSB Speakers Image Series was the last to get a face lift about 8 months ago, so i am sure that It will be quite some time. the original Image was around for about 5 years. So if you are planning on buying this is the time to do it, as you'll have new up-to-date product for at least 2-3 years.

Look for a PSB Speakers Stratus Series update next.

PSB Speakers has just launched the NEW Alpha Series on their home page. have a look.

Cool, I'm gonna pick up an Image bookshelf 5.1 system for the bedroom, and I'll look at upgrading my main set-up when the new Stratus series gets released.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have read this thread and the Paradigm thread and I have not seen where anyone had asked this before. So I was wanting to know what people thought was a better system.

The Paradigms Monitor 11's, CC370, Cin 220 and PW 2200 or the PSB Command Performance System....Image T65 Towers, Image C60, Image S50 and SubSeries 6i Subwoofer

Price for both of the setups are very close....Any comments will be greatly appreciated. I think I'll post this in the Paradigm Thread too. In hopes of getting as many opinions as possible.

BTW I have heard the Paradigms and I listend to the PSB T45's Towers only the Store didnt have a PSB system set up.

AM

21 - 40 of 7503 Posts