AVS Forum banner

7381 - 7400 of 7427 Posts

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I know I never liked Yamaha's auto-EQ stuff. I had to correct all kinds of settings afterwards and then wondered if it did something heinous with the EQ.... But then Audyssey isn't exactly reliable either. Set it the first time and it about peeled the pain off the walls and broke crystal with the sibilance. I tried again, l moving the microphone slightly different and it was night and day. Go figure....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Complete my 5.1 Upgrade-PSB or not

As I have posted previously, I have replaced my LCR with PSB and now its time to get me some surrounds. I see post holiday, there still are some deals to be had. But I am wondering, does it just make sense to stick with PSB for my surrounds as well? I would be looking at the XB. Or can I get the same effect with a better, less expensive brand? Someone I spoke to said that if I go with a different brand, make sure the "sound signature" is the same. What do they mean? What brands would have the same sound signature as the PSB?

·
Registered
3,025 Posts

As I have posted previously, I have replaced my LCR with PSB and now its time to get me some surrounds. I see post holiday, there still are some deals to be had. But I am wondering, does it just make sense to stick with PSB for my surrounds as well? I would be looking at the XB. Or can I get the same effect with a better, less expensive brand? Someone I spoke to said that if I go with a different brand, make sure the "sound signature" is the same. What do they mean? What brands would have the same sound signature as the PSB?
They're referring to matching "timbre" or "tone" of the speaker (anything from the frequency response to impulse response or other characteristics that affect how it sounds which is far more likely to occur when they use different drivers or cabinets, but can also happen by room characteristics being very different in that part of the room even with the same model speaker, but that's harder to deal with; some EQ/Room correction systems may or may not be able to help with either as well). Basically, it is just a question of whether a given speaker sounds similar enough to another speaker that you cannot tell it's not the same brand or model when a sound pans from one speaker to that speaker. If you hear a tone shift when a sound pans to that speaker, you realize it's not the same and it can be a bit jarring psychologically. You tend to notice it less (or it happens less often) with surround speakers compared to main speakers (i.e. It's probably more important for the center speaker to match the mains than the surround speakers to match the mains), but that depends on your likelihood to both notice the change and to care about it one way or another.

Put more simply, if you don't use the same brand/model speakers, there's a much greater chance you'll hear a difference when the same sound appears in that speaker compared to your other speakers so many people try to match their speakers as best they can. This usually means the same brand and/or model speaker or similar drivers. It could also mean similar sounding speakers, but that's harder to gauge, especially in this day and age when you can't even go to a shop to demo speakers as easily as in the past.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

Go the used route for PSB for your surround speakers. All three of my systems are built around used PSB so it can be done. The sub is an entirely different thing.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Well, I was leaning to the Speedwoofer 10S, or the PB-1000. The reviews on the 10S say it plays bigger than it actually is. 12" subs would still be within range for me if I look at SB-1000 or SB-2000 (if I can still find one). And the REL HT/1205 is within my $$ range. Any one of those trumps my Axiom EP-125 which is only 8", 125w.

Thoughts on those?
Look at Rythmik subs as well. Very good bass with low distortion due to their servo technology.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
New Cables for my Imagine X

So is it worth upgrading the speakers cables from my RZ820 to my new PSB's? Right now I just have regular generic bulk 12 gauge speaker wire. Dont want to spend a whole lot of $$, Just looking for good pre-made cables.
Save your money toward the sub. Cables make no audible impact at all.

·
Registered
85 Posts
They're referring to matching "timbre" or "tone" of the speaker (anything from the frequency response to impulse response or other characteristics that affect how it sounds which is far more likely to occur when they use different drivers or cabinets, but can also happen by room characteristics being very different in that part of the room even with the same model speaker, but that's harder to deal with; some EQ/Room correction systems may or may not be able to help with either as well). Basically, it is just a question of whether a given speaker sounds similar enough to another speaker that you cannot tell it's not the same brand or model when a sound pans from one speaker to that speaker. If you hear a tone shift when a sound pans to that speaker, you realize it's not the same and it can be a bit jarring psychologically. You tend to notice it less (or it happens less often) with surround speakers compared to main speakers (i.e. It's probably more important for the center speaker to match the mains than the surround speakers to match the mains), but that depends on your likelihood to both notice the change and to care about it one way or another.

Put more simply, if you don't use the same brand/model speakers, there's a much greater chance you'll hear a difference when the same sound appears in that speaker compared to your other speakers so many people try to match their speakers as best they can. This usually means the same brand and/or model speaker or similar drivers. It could also mean similar sounding speakers, but that's harder to gauge, especially in this day and age when you can't even go to a shop to demo speakers as easily as in the past.
Thank you. That is very helpful. The PSB's I just bought use a titanium tweeter. Looks like there arent many other brands that do that, but many use other metal or hard dome material. Am I to assume that if I look for a brand that uses similar metal material that I will come close to matching what I have? I have been looking and KEF, Revel, KLH, SVS, and of course PSB all use hard dome tweeters which gives that brighter sound as they say.

I also have to consider placement. I can only go on the back wall of my room and stands are out of the question.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Save your money toward the sub. Cables make no audible impact at all.
Had to purchase some anyway because my old cables are routed through walls and in the wrong spots for towers. Went with GearIT cables from Amazon. Nice build and they seem fine for the price.

Reactions: 3db

·
Registered
85 Posts
Go the used route for PSB for your surround speakers. All three of my systems are built around used PSB so it can be done. The sub is an entirely different thing.
I can actually get 2 XB, new, for 20% off. But problem will then be placement. I can only go on the back wall of my room. No stands. Thats is why Im asking for other recommendations that have the same sound as XB.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I can actually get 2 XB, new, for 20% off. But problem will then be placement. I can only go on the back wall of my room. No stands. Thats is why Im asking for other recommendations that have the same sound as XB.
Can you mount them on side walls, if there are any? That's where side surrounds should be

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Thank you. That is very helpful. The PSB's I just bought use a titanium tweeter. Looks like there arent many other brands that do that, but many use other metal or hard dome material. Am I to assume that if I look for a brand that uses similar metal material that I will come close to matching what I have? I have been looking and KEF, Revel, KLH, SVS, and of course PSB all use hard dome tweeters which gives that brighter sound as they say.

I also have to consider placement. I can only go on the back wall of my room and stands are out of the question.
The material is just one aspect. The design and shape probably have more impact. PSB has used aluminum and titanium tweeters. I have both here and they sound very similar. I bought some replacement tweeter designs made to fit various PSB speakers that use fabric/textiles and they sound similar as well, but seem to have better off-axis response here so I wouldn't just sum it up with the material used.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Can you mount them on side walls, if there are any? That's where side surrounds should be
My room only has one side wall. The other side is open to a bar area. The only possible thing I can do is get something like SVS Prime Elevation and mount them as surrounds on the sides. The open end does have a soffit that would fit the SVS. OR maybe do something like a P3, attach them with the bracket and angle them downward. Otherwise they have to go back wall, like my current Axiom Quadpole.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The material is just one aspect. The design and shape probably have more impact. PSB has used aluminum and titanium tweeters. I have both here and they sound very similar. I bought some replacement tweeter designs made to fit various PSB speakers that use fabric/textiles and they sound similar as well, but seem to have better off-axis response here so I wouldn't just sum it up with the material used.
Sounds more and more like PSB for surrounds is the safest bet for me. Less worry and stress to figure out if one of the other brands will fit well. Remember Im the guy that is still struggling with the calibration of my new LCR Imagine X.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Sounds more and more like PSB for surrounds is the safest bet for me. Less worry and stress to figure out if one of the other brands will fit well. Remember Im the guy that is still struggling with the calibration of my new LCR Imagine X.
You can always look for some nice used PSB speakers on eBay. I now have 17 PSB speakers here. I bought 7 of them on eBay in used condition for a fraction of what they went for new, 2 brand new from a Canadian dealer on eBay for far less than retail and 2 more demo models never used in an auction there for a couple hundred less as well and they all work fine. In other words, one way or another, I bought all of the ones for my Atmos upgrade from my old 6.1 setup to my current 11.1.6 setup on there. ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
You can always look for some nice used PSB speakers on eBay. I now have 17 PSB speakers here. I bought 7 of them on eBay in used condition for a fraction of what they went for new, 2 brand new from a Canadian dealer on eBay for far less than retail and 2 more demo models never used in an auction there for a couple hundred less as well and they all work fine. In other words, one way or another, I bought all of the ones for my Atmos upgrade from my old 6.1 setup to my current 11.1.6 setup on there. ;)
Wow. Sounds like Im chatting with the right person then. I can get brand new XB's for $440. My only issue is placement. They would have to go on the back wall somehow. That is why I was interested in the SVS Elevation cause I can place them on the sides up near the ceiling. But Im worried that they will not be a good match sound wise. Sucks that I cant demo any of them.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Wow. Sounds like Im chatting with the right person then. I can get brand new XB's for $440. My only issue is placement. They would have to go on the back wall somehow. That is why I was interested in the SVS Elevation cause I can place them on the sides up near the ceiling. But Im worried that they will not be a good match sound wise. Sucks that I cant demo any of them.
What I used for my rear height speakers was the PSB CS500. It was designed to be an outdoor speaker, but it's really just the XB in an outdoor case that just happens to have a lovely hanging bracket that can swivel. I mounted them on the ceiling and pointed them towards the MLP. They can also be mounted on the wall near the ceiling. There's a larger version called the CS1000 as well that a Trinnov owner on here that goes by @sdrucker who could probably tell your more about that version. He seemed pleased with them. The CS500 is the one I bought from a dealer in Canada on eBay for well below retail. I got them in white to match the ceiling in the back of the room, but there's a black case version as well.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Can you ceiling mount your speakers ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
What I used for my rear height speakers was the PSB CS500. It was designed to be an outdoor speaker, but it's really just the XB in an outdoor case that just happens to have a lovely hanging bracket that can swivel. I mounted them on the ceiling and pointed them towards the MLP. They can also be mounted on the wall near the ceiling. There's a larger version called the CS1000 as well that a Trinnov owner on here that goes by @sdrucker who could probably tell your more about that version. He seemed pleased with them. The CS500 is the one I bought from a dealer in Canada on eBay for well below retail. I got them in white to match the ceiling in the back of the room, but there's a black case version as well.
HEY! I didnt even think of that! I did not realize that the CS500 is the XB. That just may work for my surrounds in a 5.1 setup. I then have more options when attaching. They may even work up high on the side wall on one side and soffit on the other. THANKS.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Can you ceiling mount your speakers ?
Yes. Thats possible. My media room is in the basement. Even though its a finished ceiling I can probably get someone to install in ceiling speakers for me. There is enough room between the beams of the first floor. What do you recommend?

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
HEY! I didnt even think of that! I did not realize that the CS500 is the XB. That just may work for my surrounds in a 5.1 setup. I then have more options when attaching. They may even work up high on the side wall on one side and soffit on the other. THANKS.
Here's a photo of them mounted in the back of my room (XT1 speakers are on the floor in the back and a pair of B15s are in the 2nd row "surround#1" position:

View of PSB S50 and B15s on the side:

PSB T45 in L/C/R with B15s in front height and front wide positions:

7381 - 7400 of 7427 Posts