AVS Forum banner

7401 - 7420 of 7427 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes. Thats possible. My media room is in the basement. Even though its a finished ceiling I can probably get someone to install in ceiling speakers for me. There is enough room between the beams of the first floor. What do you recommend?
Ceiling speakers should only be used for Atmos.

Edit - To clarify, any kind of speaker can go anywhere really (you can ceiling mount towers for Atmos if you wanted to), but any channels that are NOT dedicated for the .2 or .4 Atmos should not go on the ceiling.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Ceiling speakers should only be used for Atmos.

Edit - To clarify, any kind of speaker can go anywhere really (you can ceiling mount towers for Atmos if you wanted to), but any channels that are NOT dedicated for the .2 or .4 Atmos should not go on the ceiling.
I have in ceiling speakers as my surrounds. It does work but not quite as well as having them on walls beside or behind you. It is certainly much better than not having any speakers by a long shot. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have in ceiling speakers as my surrounds. It does work but not quite as well as having them on walls beside or behind you. It is certainly much better than not having any speakers by a long shot. :)
If there's no other option then yes for sure better than no speaker at all!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Here are a few suggestions for ceiling mounts :

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Is anyone using PSB's atmos modules? Do you have them sitting on your speaker or are you wall mounting them with the supplied brackets? Do they work well? Im looking into getting a pair but would like to hear back from people that are using them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What I used for my rear height speakers was the PSB CS500. It was designed to be an outdoor speaker, but it's really just the XB in an outdoor case that just happens to have a lovely hanging bracket that can swivel. I mounted them on the ceiling and pointed them towards the MLP. They can also be mounted on the wall near the ceiling. There's a larger version called the CS1000 as well that a Trinnov owner on here that goes by @sdrucker who could probably tell your more about that version. He seemed pleased with them. The CS500 is the one I bought from a dealer in Canada on eBay for well below retail. I got them in white to match the ceiling in the back of the room, but there's a black case version as well.
Well, after some thought, and a visit from a local AV Installer, seems as though the best option would still be surrounds hanging on the back wall where my current Axiom quadpoles are. Maybe with a slight adjustment. The installer said its not worth spending the money to rerun cables for either in/on ceiling or side wall and soffit for the minimal gain is sound I would get. I should get better rear wall surround bipole speakers and a really good sub. Thats where my remaining budget should go. His words not mine.

I did mock-ups out of cardboard of the XB and placed it on the back wall. Too big and stick out too much. And the CS would require the cost and labor of rewiring. Really wanted to stick with PSB for the perfect match, since Im really digging the X1T and XC. Love them.

So its back to looking for as close a match as possible to their sound. The Installer was really pushing the SVS Ultra Surround. But they are heavy and 1k for a pair seems expensive for surrounds. But I am still considering them. But I also found that the Def Tech SR9080 or 9040 seems to be a closer match to the PSB's. The tweeter and driver material are very close, so Im expecting a better match. Plus, they seem to be a better value for what you are getting.

Really starting to find this to be a bit of a challenge. :(

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Well, after some thought, and a visit from a local AV Installer, seems as though the best option would still be surrounds hanging on the back wall where my current Axiom quadpoles are. Maybe with a slight adjustment. The installer said its not worth spending the money to rerun cables for either in/on ceiling or side wall and soffit for the minimal gain is sound I would get. I should get better rear wall surround bipole speakers and a really good sub. Thats where my remaining budget should go. His words not mine.

I did mock-ups out of cardboard of the XB and placed it on the back wall. Too big and stick out too much. And the CS would require the cost and labor of rewiring. Really wanted to stick with PSB for the perfect match, since Im really digging the X1T and XC. Love them.

So its back to looking for as close a match as possible to their sound. The Installer was really pushing the SVS Ultra Surround. But they are heavy and 1k for a pair seems expensive for surrounds. But I am still considering them. But I also found that the Def Tech SR9080 or 9040 seems to be a closer match to the PSB's. The tweeter and driver material are very close, so Im expecting a better match. Plus, they seem to be a better value for what you are getting.

Look at PSB Imagine Minis if they still make them.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Running your own wires costs nothing but time. You can even run flat white cable across the ceiling or dark cable along the floor boards or with a wire mold to cover them (or extend current cable to new locations and run along base for ear level instead (plenty of options to consider).

I would hardly call Atmos a minimal upgrade either. It sounds to me like he simply doesn't want to do the job.

·
Registered
30,660 Posts
Running your own wires costs nothing but time. You can even run flat white cable across the ceiling or dark cable along the floor boards or with a wire mold to cover them (or extend current cable to new locations and run along base for ear level instead (plenty of options to consider).

I would hardly call Atmos a minimal upgrade either. It sounds to me like he simply doesn't want to do the job.
Easy for some but, like the OP, I do not want to do the job either. We have reasons.

·
Premium Member
4,736 Posts
Is anyone using PSB's atmos modules? Do you have them sitting on your speaker or are you wall mounting them with the supplied brackets? Do they work well? Im looking into getting a pair but would like to hear back from people that are using them.
I used them a few years back before I replaced them with CS1000s to hang from ceiling mounts. They worked well enough to create the ambience of Atmos & DTS:X. Not as solid an overhead image as the CS1000s but noticeable. Also they have good bass response for "bounce" speakers....you might able to cross at 80 Hz depending on placement.

The only trick was getting them to stay on top of my T3s. You can place them there, but you need to secure so that someone doesn't inadvertedly tip them off the speaker.

Reactions: 3db

·
Registered
102 Posts

You might be able to find some used PSB Image Bs (IMAGE, not Imagine) online. I believe others have said they sound quite similar to current Imagine X lineup

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I used them a few years back before I replaced them with CS1000s to hang from ceiling mounts. They worked well enough to create the ambience of Atmos & DTS:X. Not as solid an overhead image as the CS1000s but noticeable. Also they have good bass response for "bounce" speakers....you might able to cross at 80 Hz depending on placement.

The only trick was getting them to stay on top of my T3s. You can place them there, but you need to secure so that someone doesn't inadvertedly tip them off the speaker.
Do you have pics of your setup? I would like to see where you placed the CS1000 relative to your seating position. Would you be able to post some closeups to of how you have them mounted to the ceiling. I forgot mention that my ceilings are not quite 8ft high so maybe the atmos modules may work better because of stronger reflections. And then again maybe not, my ceiling is stippled.

As you can see, Im waffling between the modules and the CS1000.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Didn't have time to check previous posts, so apologies if this has already been mentioned before. I've also used the PSB Alpha P3s for a small bedroom stereo and they did the job just fine. They aren't designed to host a loud house party, but they would do the trick for surround duty. The magnetic grill is clean & easy to maintain too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Look at PSB Imagine Minis if they still make them.
Thank You. That would be a good choice if I can find them. I would need to mount them on the back wall. Found a picture of them on-line. The bracket they used would be perfect as well. Does anyone happen to know who makes the bracket?

Now that looks nice!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm pretty sure that bracket was sold separately by PSB for the mini. Since that speaker has been discontinued for awhile it might be tough to find the bracket. Maybe contact them and ask.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm pretty sure that bracket was sold separately by PSB for the mini. Since that speaker has been discontinued for awhile it might be tough to find the bracket. Maybe contact them and ask.
I just dont understand why PSB discontinued the mini and the S. Fore people like me who are looking at a HT setup, those are a better fit than the boxy bookshelf speakers they suggest for surrounds.

·
Registered
454 Posts
My understanding is they are about to release a new flagship line up to replace the Imagine line. Hopefully it will include a new version of the Mini.

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I bought a pair of used PSB CS1000 indoor/outdoor speakers for $250 Cdn to be used as my ATMOS pair of speakers for a 6.1.2 setup. They come with brackets that adjustable in two planes.
Tweeter (Nominal)
1” (25mm) Titanium Dome with Ferrofluid
Neodymium Magnet
Woofer (Nominal)
6 1/2” (165mm) Clay/Ceramic reinforced Polypropylene Cone
Rubber Surround
Crossover
2,200Hz, LR4
Internal Volume
0.3 cu ft (8.5L)
Design Type
Bass Reflex