AVS Forum banner

7481 - 7500 of 7503 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Super exciting to hear. I like the new look but the T3 in dark cherry will always be my favorite look.

Their speakers are starting to sound like Terminators lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
So it seems that for their upcoming top line, PSB have gone back to the Synchrony name, which I like. The speakers look more boxy than the previous Synchrony and Imagine lines, which were built in China. They also have aluminium faceplates which the older Platinum series (which were made in Canada) had. The reason given for manufacturing in China, when the Synchrony series came out was the cost of labour for the curved multilayer boxes, but now that they are back to the box shape, and we heard that the factory in China closed last year, is this a sign that they are manufacturing in Canada again? I wonder how the boxy cabinets will perform with respect to standing waves vs the Imagine and Synchrony lines.
Where are you reading this? Their web site has nothing new posted.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Super exciting to hear. I like the new look but the T3 in dark cherry will always be my favorite look.

Their speakers are starting to sound like Terminators lol
The B600 looks XB in size. Was hoping they would go back to having a Image mini type bookshelf. Still looking for a good match for my Imagine X fronts to put in as surrounds. Also, wonder if this means that Imagine X line will be fully phased out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Interesting how they also have the tweeter at the bottom like the Alphas. Wouldn't top-tweeter placement be more ideal? You'd need really tall stands for them

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
The B600 looks XB in size. Was hoping they would go back to having a Image mini type bookshelf. Still looking for a good match for my Imagine X fronts to put in as surrounds. Also, wonder if this means that Imagine X line will be fully phased out.
It's bigger than the Imagine XB. The B6500 uses a 6 1/2" woofer in a bigger cabinet, while the XB uses a 5 1/4" woofer in a smaller cabinet. The B600 is more like the Synchrony One Bookshelf of the previous generation Synchrony.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Interesting how they also have the tweeter at the bottom like the Alphas. Wouldn't top-tweeter placement be more ideal? You'd need really tall stands for them
Many, many PSB bookshelf speakers over the years have had the tweeter-below-the-woofer design (stratus models, platinum model, previous synchrony models, and probably others).

When you're sitting several feet away, the tweeter being lower amounts only a to a couple of degrees of offset, which is trivial. The tweeter doesn't have to be exactly at ear level when you're several feet away.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's bigger than the Imagine XB. The B6500 uses a 6 1/2" woofer in a bigger cabinet, while the XB uses a 5 1/4" woofer in a smaller cabinet. The B600 is more like the Synchrony One Bookshelf of the previous generation Synchrony.
Not good for surrounds then. At least not for me.

So in the end, the P3 will be the smallest speaker that PSB carries?

·
Registered
6 Posts
In all speakers, the crossover is not a brick wall at the crossover frequency, because you can't do that with a passive crossover. One driver transitions to the other, with a dropoff of either 6, 12, 18 or 24 db per octave. I believe PSB use 24 db per octave in the transition to the tweeter (4th order crossover). In the overlap area, some interference or lobing will occur. You will have places where the waves sum and you have a peak, and places where the waves cancel and you have a null (This is why centre speakers with two mid-bass drivers is an essentially flawed design because our ears are more sensitive to left-right lobing and it will vary as you move your head). Paul Barton has explained that by placing the tweeter below the mid or mid-woofer, the strongest lobing effects are downwards towards the floor where they are less likely to be heard. This is an issue with mid-to-high frequencies but not lower frequencies because the waves are so long that the distance between drivers doesn't matter.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Imagine Mini as surrounds?

I have new Imagine X LCR setup for my media room (replacing old Axioms). Got a good deal on mint condition mini's. Want to use them as surrounds (5.1). Good or bad idea? Also need suggestions on setup. Wall mount on each side of MLP? Or on stands?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Imagine Mini as surrounds?

I have new Imagine X LCR setup for my media room (replacing old Axioms). Got a good deal on mint condition mini's. Want to use them as surrounds (5.1). Good or bad idea? Also need suggestions on setup. Wall mount on each side of MLP? Or on stands?
I had a complete PSB Platinum system but I use the M2 and C1 as the fronts and centre and a set of cheaper speakers as surrounds, and the T6 are in a separate stereo system. I watch movies and concerts but am not into 5.1 music and with the sound coming from the rear I doubt the exact timbre is that important.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had a complete PSB Platinum system but I use the M2 and C1 as the fronts and centre and a set of cheaper speakers as surrounds, and the T6 are in a separate stereo system. I watch movies and concerts but am not into 5.1 music and with the sound coming from the rear I doubt the exact timbre is that important.
THX. Does anyone have any thoughts on wall brackets or stands? I am thinking of placing the mini's on either side of a couch, which is against the back wall, and the MLP.

·
Registered
103 Posts
THX. Does anyone have any thoughts on wall brackets or stands? I am thinking of placing the mini's on either side of a couch, which is against the back wall, and the MLP.
What works better for you? Less chance of knocking them over if they are wall mounted, also is there floor space for the stands to sit on? Personally i would push them out away from the couch so it doesnt sound like they are blasting in your ears.
I tried 7.2 in my living room and the rear surrounds were too close to me. I went back to a 6.1 configuration with the rear speaker sitting on the floor angled up behind my lazyboy. Sounds much better to my ears. So, trust your ears, what sounds better to you! Thats what matters!

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts
That link is in Italian :) . Some marketing info about the new tech here:

Another link is here:

I hope that they're using the same tweeter as with the Imagine line to maintain timbre match. That matters if you're doing LCR with three identical speakers and an AT screen.

Either way I'm glad PSB is doing something with their new flagship line on midrange and bass performance WRT SPL and linearity. I doubt I'd be trading in my T3s for the T600 but it's still nice to have something new to discuss here.

By the way, you can find IsoAcoustic speaker pucks and stands online. However, they're probably designing something customized to the size of the T600 and B600.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
That link is in Italian :) . Some marketing info about the new tech here:

Another link is here:

I hope that they're using the same tweeter as with the Imagine line to maintain timbre match. That matters if you're doing LCR with three identical speakers and an AT screen.

Either way I'm glad PSB is doing something with their new flagship line on midrange and bass performance WRT SPL and linearity. I doubt I'd be trading in my T3s for the T600 but it's still nice to have something new to discuss here.

By the way, you can find IsoAcoustic speaker pucks and stands online. However, they're probably designing something customized to the size of the T600 and B600.
My link was to a Google search, not to a specific Italian site. All the links you're providing were in my link when I provided it. You'll note that I set the Google search limit to most recent 7 days. There were several search results when I posted it. Now, the only one left is the Italian link. Soon there might not be any links. Expand the search window to two weeks and all the links that originally showed up in my post will be back.

As for the tweeter, they've used the same one in the Imagine & previous Synchrony lines, but this one is a little new. You can see in the pics that it has a different 'phase plug' and different 'waveguide' around it.

As for the IsoAcoustics stuff, it's also visible in the pictures.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Both PSB speakers are due out June 2021. Each come in either Satin Walnut Veneer or High Gloss Piano Black finishes at the following prices:
  • T600 tower loudspeakers: $7,999/pair (USD) / $10,999/pair (CAN)
  • B600 bookshelf loudspeakers: $2,499/par (USD) / $3,499/pair (CAN)
I guess I won't be listening to those B600's any time soon...

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Are the drivers and crossover components made in China as well or does China simply build the enclosures and and complete the installation of the drivers etc.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Timber match for G-Design? Hey all, got a local deal on a 5 system set of G-design series. I was hoping to use the bookshelf for rear surround, but they are bigger then I had hoped. Any idea on a good timber match from one of the smaller PSB speakers, can be old[er]? TIA

·
Registered
139 Posts
So one of my Imagine Mini speakers suddenly sounds like it got quiet/muffled. I tried it with 2 different receivers and my Nad d7050 amp, and used 2 different sets of speaker cables just to make sure but It hasnt made any difference. What would cause this all of a sudden?

7481 - 7500 of 7503 Posts