AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found a pair of PSB Synchrony Two B's for $1200. IMO they sound pretty great for a small little speaker. However is there another speaker in that range that has better bang for buck? I'm not set on a tower speaker or a bookshelf and both will be supported with a sub for the low end so the low end bellow 60Hz isn't too significant to me.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I love the Synchrony series and have long coveted the Ones. But I have to say that the GoldenEar Sevens are not much more than the Synchrony Two Bs you are considering and should work well with your sub. The side passive radiators would be the only question as far as blending if running without EQ. But the upper section is superb and overall more speaker for similar money, IMO. Heck, flip a coin! :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
IMO they sound pretty great for a small little speaker. However is there another speaker in that range that has better bang for buck?
The Synchrony is a reference class speaker so you won't find a better sounding speaker of the same size and price. A decent separate amp will make it shine. You're lucky to find it. I haven't seen any Synchrony "Two" speakers at any PSB dealer for months.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The entire Synchrony 2 ine is no longer in production and authorized resellers aren't selling it anymore (crutchfield, audioadvisor, etc).
THey are either downsizing their product lineup or coming out with a new model - not sure which. $1200 is high though, a set on ebay for 900 currently.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love the Synchrony series and have long coveted the Ones. But I have to say that the GoldenEar Sevens are not much more than the Synchrony Two Bs you are considering and should work well with your sub. The side passive radiators would be the only question as far as blending if running without EQ. But the upper section is superb and overall more speaker for similar money, IMO. Heck, flip a coin! :)
I haven't heard much about those GoldenEars. From what I am reading now though they sound fantastic. I wonder how much they would ask for them up in Canada (where I live). Have you auditioned the GoldenEars against the PSB's? Ultimately I would like to have a complete matching home theatre and am now just starting with some of the parts. :)

The entire Synchrony 2 ine is no longer in production and authorized resellers aren't selling it anymore (crutchfield, audioadvisor, etc).
THey are either downsizing their product lineup or coming out with a new model - not sure which. $1200 is high though, a set on ebay for 900 currently.
Well, they are $1200 new in Canada. I didn't see anything on ebay new for that price and second hand would be the same price when you figure in duties, etc.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
mwalton90,

No my friend, I have not been able to do a side-by-side but I have heard both at some length. The reference quality referred to by Alec88 is indeed true of all of the Synchrony line-up. In your situation I can see going either way or in a different direction altogether. Take the time to think about how you wish to build your system (not saying you haven't already). If going with the Synchronys, then a full matching HT may be difficult and a good bit expensive to achieve, even on the used market. The Synchrony Centers are quite expensive also. Also depends how quickly you put the pieces together. You may have to act more quickly to get what you need for a 5.1, 7.1 etc. since that line-up is discontinued.

The Golden Ear Sevens are astounding at their price point. Not everyone likes the black sock covered look in speakers. My Wharfedale Emerald 97s have a wonderful Walnut that I very much enjoy seeing. But I could easily live without the wood as it often makes for difficult furniture choices, at times. With the Sevens you could move to the Aons for Surround and rear duties and enjoy the benefits of a newer, modern design which competes very well with the Synchrony and should provide a fuller sound overall, at least in the fronts, though I daresay it would be fuller at all speaker locations. I like the insight each of these reviewers brings to the Sevens:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/02/goldenear-triton-seven-loudspeaker-review/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/speaker-reviews/goldenear-technology-triton-seven-review/#!bO6CTk

It's a difficult choice, to be sure, as the opportunity to snag a set of speakers of that quality when they are being closed out speaks very loudly for the Twos. And the convenience and benefit of in Canada sale is no doubt a plus.

Decisions, decisions. :confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mwalton90,

No my friend, I have not been able to do a side-by-side but I have heard both at some length. The reference quality referred to by Alec88 is indeed true of all of the Synchrony line-up. In your situation I can see going either way or in a different direction altogether. Take the time to think about how you wish to build your system (not saying you haven't already). If going with the Synchronys, then a full matching HT may be difficult and a good bit expensive to achieve, even on the used market. The Synchrony Centers are quite expensive also. Also depends how quickly you put the pieces together. You may have to act more quickly to get what you need for a 5.1, 7.1 etc. since that line-up is discontinued.

The Golden Ear Sevens are astounding at their price point. Not everyone likes the black sock covered look in speakers. My Wharfedale Emerald 97s have a wonderful Walnut that I very much enjoy seeing. But I could easily live without the wood as it often makes for difficult furniture choices, at times. With the Sevens you could move to the Aons for Surround and rear duties and enjoy the benefits of a newer, modern design which competes very well with the Synchrony and should provide a fuller sound overall, at least in the fronts, though I daresay it would be fuller at all speaker locations. I like the insight each of these reviewers brings to the Sevens:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/02/goldenear-triton-seven-loudspeaker-review/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/speaker-reviews/goldenear-technology-triton-seven-review/#!bO6CTk

It's a difficult choice, to be sure, as the opportunity to snag a set of speakers of that quality when they are being closed out speaks very loudly for the Twos. And the convenience and benefit of in Canada sale is no doubt a plus.

Decisions, decisions. :confused:
Sounds like you are a big fan of those speakers. I will check them out. I just encountered a new twist as well...

Whatever speaker I get I hope to start building the rest of my updated 5.1 system around. Turns out from talking to PSB support the Synchrony line is the way of the dinosaur starting in November. Reviews for the new Imagine T1 series should be out well before that apparently. So if I was to start with the PSB Synchrony Two B I would be a part of the discontinued series. Has anyone listened to the synchrony and imagine series back to back and come away with any clear preferences?

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Sounds like you are a big fan of those speakers. I will check them out. I just encountered a new twist as well...

Whatever speaker I get I hope to start building the rest of my updated 5.1 system around. Turns out from talking to PSB support the Synchrony line is the way of the dinosaur starting in November. Reviews for the new Imagine T1 series should be out well before that apparently. So if I was to start with the PSB Synchrony Two B I would be a part of the discontinued series. Has anyone listened to the synchrony and imagine series back to back and come away with any clear preferences?
That is the situation in a nutshell. You can go with a superb but discontinued line, which with speakers is usually not a problem, except for availability of all that you need for your system. If you're not prepared to go all out and snag what you can while still out there, you will be forced to do a mix and match or rely on the used market, again with quality speakers like the Synchronys, not a real problem, except for limited turnover.

So it still makes more sense to my mind to go with something else already in your price range for the fronts ... and with easier future building potential if growing your new system over time. I think both PSB and GoldenEar, among others, should be near the top of anyone's list. Both the Imagine and Image series are superb in their price ranges. Personally, I do prefer a woofer size of at least 6-7" whether in Bookshelf or tower ... and for me it's always tower. :D You might want to also consider the PSB Imagine X series. A pair of the X2T can be had in your price range as well, with a true 3 way design, not a 2 1/2 way like my Emeralds.

Best of luck in your search.
Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts