AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering upgrading my front L/R speakers. In the $1000 range, I am looking at Paradigm Studio 20's or PSB Imagine series. I briefly auditioned the Imagine towers and really liked them. How are the PSB bookshelfs?

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrinker2 /forum/post/15416702

Considering upgrading my front L/R speakers. In the $1000 range, I am looking at Paradigm Studio 20's or PSB Imagine series. I briefly auditioned the Imagine towers and really liked them. How are the PSB bookshelfs?

Your thoughts?

look at your PM....my suggestion? IMAGINE-even John Lennon said it!

thanks, alan

·
Registered
585 Posts
If you look around you can still buy new PSB M2 Platinums at bargain basement prices. They are great speakers for around 1k. I love mine, they are in a 2.1 sys with a REL R305 and it's a killer little system.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I can only comment on the PSB Imagine as I just used them at the showroom to justify my purchase of a Cary ICE based separates. It's awesome, but at that price at look at a used Usher Be-718 or a brand new JMLab Profile. I haven't heard Paradigms for a long long time though I loved their character.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda /forum/post/15529215

I can only comment on the PSB Imagine as I just used them at the showroom to justify my purchase of a Cary ICE based separates. It's awesome, but at that price at look at a used Usher Be-718 or a brand new JMLab Profile. I haven't heard Paradigms for a long long time though I loved their character.

The Imagine series is a dead aim at Paradigm's Studio series. PSB never had anything in that price range since they abandoned their Stratus line that could compete against the Studio line. It really comes down to listener preferences. Both are a great speakers to be sure and you really can't wrong with either.

·
Registered
153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db /forum/post/15530964

The Imagine series is a dead aim at Paradigm's Studio series. PSB never had anything in that price range since they abandoned their Stratus line that could compete against the Studio line. It really comes down to listener preferences. Both are a great speakers to be sure and you really can't wrong with either.

What the difference between the Imagine series and the G*design? I see the G*design bookshelf is right around that $1k price point too.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by racineboxer /forum/post/15531311

What the difference between the Imagine series and the G*design? I see the G*design bookshelf is right around that $1k price point too.

Someone said that the bass on the G isn't as controlled as the Imagine but I haven't taken the time to sit down at the showroom and compare them both as at those price range, I'd look at other brands first before going PSB. Mainly not for the sound quality but I just can't stand the poor cabinet material and aesthetics that PSB speakers are famous for. The G bookshelves look like cheap Samsung stuff in person.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda /forum/post/15531364

Someone said that the bass on the G isn't as controlled as the Imagine but I haven't taken the time to sit down at the showroom and compare them both as at those price range, I'd look at other brands first before going PSB. Mainly not for the sound quality but I just can't stand the poor cabinet material and aesthetics that PSB speakers are famous for. The G bookshelves look like cheap Samsung stuff in person.

Have you seen the new Imagine or Synchrony series? They are very nice looking speakers.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by racineboxer /forum/post/15531311

The price maybe but not their performance.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by racineboxer /forum/post/15532290

That's interesting because I'm a PSB owner and fan. It's disappointing that they would put out a brand new product at a price point where it was uncompetitive. That is quite the product strategy.

Don't get me wrong.. I'm PSB biggest fanboy owning an entire suite of Image series speakers. But when I saw the G series, I imediately thought, over priced Image series with a better finish. The G series specs are no better then the Image T55 specs, at least not that much better to warrant the extra coin. The Paradigm's Studio series speakers are a very formidable and probably the best out there ( subjectively speaking) in that price range...until PSB released its Imagine series. I feel that PSB Imagine series has a real shot at knocking Paradigms's Studio series off the winner's podium.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db /forum/post/15532095

Have you seen the new Imagine or Synchrony series? They are very nice looking speakers.

Yeap, saw them liked the finish but at that price point, could be better especially compared to Usher. Btw, those looking to compare the PSB and Paradigm, here's a nice review:

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2006/bookshelfspeakers.shtml

·
Registered
2,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda /forum/post/15540808

Yeap, saw them liked the finish but at that price point, could be better especially compared to Usher. Btw, those looking to compare the PSB and Paradigm, here's a nice review:

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2006/bookshelfspeakers.shtml

I value sound quality over finish and I would rather have the ugly duckling whose sound is 1st rate compared to a beautiful looking speaker whose sound is 2nd rate. Not saying Usher is 2nd rate. How does the Usher compare sonically to the PSB?s

Sounds like PSB tromped everything but KEF. Reviews are subjective at best even by so called "Golden Ears" and had you listened to the speakers in that shotout, you may have come up with a totall different order.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Actually I have listened to all of the speakers in that comparison and yes I prefer the PSB. The KEF is too restricted to some types of music only.

Usher's sound is more comparable to higher end Focals than PSB. I'd give PSB the edge when it comes to playing pop and rock. To me the only Usher's worth buying is their Dancer line which is better than most speakers out there at any price.

·
Registered
654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda /forum/post/15541413

To me the only Usher's worth buying is their Dancer line which is better than most speakers out there at any price.

Not everyone likes the Be tweeter. I've only listened to the the BE-718 and BE-10 in the dancer line and liked them both very much, but some find the tweeter harsh. It's all preference. I also listened to the CP-6311 (which I currently own) in the same room as the dancers and felt that the CP-6311 was an outstanding value (especially used
). The X-719 is another great speaker from Usher that is very under priced, IMHO, compared to the competition. The Usher 9950 tweeter is among the best at it's price point and the 8945A is no slouch either based on measurements. Of course, measurements don't mean much without a properly designed crossover and enclosure. It is comforting to know that D'Appolito was involved with the design process. The V-601 is another bargain and you already know how I feel about the S-520. I would have to disagree that the Dancer line is the only Ushers worth getting. Disclaimer - I am a self admitted Usher fanboy.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Ok Just read the article at http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2006/bookshelfspeakers.shtml and its more than a little misleading. If any one knows anything about the Paradigm speakers, its that you can't buy the mini monitor for $800. That speaker only retails for less than $400. and teh Kef only reatailed for about $500. So who ever wrote the article took speakers that where underclassed and paired them with a high class speaker to mislead people. the article is bias.

frenchmon

·
Registered
153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db /forum/post/15540751

Don't get me wrong.. I'm PSB biggest fanboy owning an entire suite of Image series speakers. But when I saw the G series, I imediately thought, over priced Image series with a better finish. The G series specs are no better then the Image T55 specs, at least not that much better to warrant the extra coin. The Paradigm's Studio series speakers are a very formidable and probably the best out there ( subjectively speaking) in that price range...until PSB released its Imagine series. I feel that PSB Imagine series has a real shot at knocking Paradigms's Studio series off the winner's podium.

Honestly, the specs are pretty much worthless.

And for the Image series, IMO, the biggest compromise and negative that they have going for their sound quality is the poor cabinet construction. The G-design obviously uses different drivers but if they improved the cabinet considerably over the Image series, that alone would be worth a few hundred dollars a pair (a nice cabinet is very difficult to do for cheap).

·
Registered
153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johsti /forum/post/15544190

Not everyone likes the Be tweeter. I've only listened to the the BE-718 and BE-10 in the dancer line and liked them both very much, but some find the tweeter harsh. It's all preference. I also listened to the CP-6311 (which I currently own) in the same room as the dancers and felt that the CP-6311 was an outstanding value (especially used
). The X-719 is another great speaker from Usher that is very under priced, IMHO, compared to the competition. The Usher 9950 tweeter is among the best at it's price point and the 8945A is no slouch either based on measurements. Of course, measurements don't mean much without a properly designed crossover and enclosure. It is comforting to know that D'Appolito was involved with the design process. The V-601 is another bargain and you already know how I feel about the S-520. I would have to disagree that the Dancer line is the only Ushers worth getting. Disclaimer - I am a self admitted Usher fanboy.

Is the X-719 using those components that you listed? I am debating on throwing together a bookshelf pair from the PE DIY kits (either the 701 or 711).

·
Registered
654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by racineboxer /forum/post/15545231

Is the X-719 using those components that you listed? I am debating on throwing together a bookshelf pair from the PE DIY kits (either the 701 or 711).

Yes. The X-719 has the 8945A woofer and 9950 tweeter. You can check zaphaudio.com for measurements. A used pair of X-719 are often available in the $600-$750 range so unless you really want to DIY, you won't be saving much money by going with the PE 701 kit which uses the 9930 tweeter and 8945A woofer. The enclosure on the X-719 is worth the price difference alone not to mention the better tweeter. The 9930 is a very good tweeter, but a step below the 9950. The V series from Usher uses the 9930 tweeter. The 711 kit uses the woofer(s) from the X-616 center channel (8836AC) and the 9950.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.