AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I see a lot of talk about the former PSI and what is going on with the company. I traveled 5-hours this Saturday from Wisconsin to pick up 5-Barco 800's that I won for $24.00 total on Ebay. I met with Bill a nice stoner-looking dude who helped pack all five into my tiny BMW, and then he gave me a tour of the company.

First PSI is kind of out of the way in an industrial park; their building has two other companies under its roof, no big sign outside just a nameplate on the door. The front showroom is nice looking with 3 demo rooms. The demo rooms are smaller one had an Infocus LCD, another had a Runco DLP, and the last room was for a Reference 8 but they sold it. A Reference 8 is an Electrohome 8500 that they mod sometimes even changing the case then sell for lots of bucks. These were all the machines they had for customers to view. One quick note, the LCD and DLP were set up on a tiny screen just over 44†diag, I asked about this and Bill said this was the recommended screen size verses lens throw according to the Runco schooling they had attended. The smaller screen will have better focus and brightness. Ok I thought brighter is better but why have a projector if you can only have such a small screen? I’d rather buy a Plasma TV. Anyways on with the tour…

They had another room setup real nice and clean for fixing the projectors, Bill said this is where they test the projectors for 50 hours before they ship to see if any problems develop. Again the room looked real nice and neat all tools in their place, just like my workshop;)

Last stop is the warehouse, here is where some of you may cry and others smile in delight with money signs in their eyes… The storage area is EMPTY….

Ok they do have some stuff left but not much. PSI is getting out of the CRT projectors completely, they will sell Reference 8’s and 9’s while their stock holds out. All other CRT’s are out the door. I’d say they have 5 CRT projectors on the shelf for parts, a Sony super bright, Sony 1031, and two Barco 1200’s again these are part machines only, you will see them on Ebay soon.

Other than that they have about 15 larger projectors like the 8†& 9†Barco’s and Electrohomes left for resale, they have to fix, mod, or retube them first.

You will only find two red 07MP tubes in their stock, hey they are NEW but that’s the only color they have remaining, no other tubes for resale. Now they might order tubes for you if asked, but they would just buy them from VDC or Sony, again they don’t have stock. They do have a shelf with many white boxes, Bill was proud of their huge collection of replacement parts for Sony 12xx or Barco 8xx but to me the shelf looked kind of small, couldn’t be too much left. And yes they have some case parts left too.

The last thing Bill mentioned is that they were trying to open a retail outlet.

I believe this would be a larger demo area for local customers in a more ideal location. I think many of their current sales are in design and installing systems in rich snobs homes.

They sell and promote Runco, you know the manufacture that makes the best projector in the world! They also repair the Runco’s too.

So I hope you all stocked up on the projector parts for your favorite PJ…

I can safely say I own more projectors than PSI.

Curt is the true KING of the PJ stock, not sure who would be next but I don’t think its many.

Wanted to share to all what I found out about the company, as you can see I tried to remember many details so the story could finaly get out as to the REAL DEAL at PSI.

Pat

·
Banned
716 Posts
They're in Lino Lakes, right? I've never been there. Too bad they're getting out of CRT's, I'd like someone local to fix/help me fix/maybe even setup my Barco 1208. Curt is good but it takes a long time to do things remotely.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
It's good they do get completely out of crt. It's not right for them. Certainly not right for a "retail" store.

I hope they do us all a favor and be honest and sell the rest (even if perfect) without warranty, like all the parts machines they dumped recently.

Troy

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Well, I can tell you where some of that stuff went. I bought all their projector tubes, all their CRT projector lenses, all their remaining assorted projector circuit boards, all their remaining remote controls, their remaining office equipment, and a few other things. You probably saw two six-foot high 48x48 pallets and one shorter pallet back in the warehouse area where Chris works. That all the above items plus a few others, still awaiting my freight carrier coming by to pick it all up.

I consider them to be awesome deals, and was fortunate that those items all came up on eBay for purchase. But I agree with you, it is the passing of an age when the largest CRT projector dealers go off into the night one by one :confused:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4101 CRT
Ok so I see a lot of talk about the former PSI and what is going on with the company. I traveled 5-hours this Saturday from Wisconsin to pick up 5-Barco 800's that I won for $24.00 total on Ebay. I met with Bill a nice stoner-looking dude who helped pack all five into my tiny BMW, and then he gave me a tour of the company.

First PSI is kind of out of the way in an industrial park; their building has two other companies under its roof, no big sign outside just a nameplate on the door. The front showroom is nice looking with 3 demo rooms. The demo rooms are smaller one had an Infocus LCD, another had a Runco DLP, and the last room was for a Reference 8 but they sold it. A Reference 8 is an Electrohome 8500 that they mod sometimes even changing the case then sell for lots of bucks. These were all the machines they had for customers to view. One quick note, the LCD and DLP were set up on a tiny screen just over 44†diag, I asked about this and Bill said this was the recommended screen size verses lens throw according to the Runco schooling they had attended. The smaller screen will have better focus and brightness. Ok I thought brighter is better but why have a projector if you can only have such a small screen? I’d rather buy a Plasma TV. Anyways on with the tour…

They had another room setup real nice and clean for fixing the projectors, Bill said this is where they test the projectors for 50 hours before they ship to see if any problems develop. Again the room looked real nice and neat all tools in their place, just like my workshop;)

Last stop is the warehouse, here is where some of you may cry and others smile in delight with money signs in their eyes… The storage area is EMPTY….

Ok they do have some stuff left but not much. PSI is getting out of the CRT projectors completely, they will sell Reference 8’s and 9’s while their stock holds out. All other CRT’s are out the door. I’d say they have 5 CRT projectors on the shelf for parts, a Sony super bright, Sony 1031, and two Barco 1200’s again these are part machines only, you will see them on Ebay soon.

Other than that they have about 15 larger projectors like the 8†& 9†Barco’s and Electrohomes left for resale, they have to fix, mod, or retube them first.

You will only find two red 07MP tubes in their stock, hey they are NEW but that’s the only color they have remaining, no other tubes for resale. Now they might order tubes for you if asked, but they would just buy them from VDC or Sony, again they don’t have stock. They do have a shelf with many white boxes, Bill was proud of their huge collection of replacement parts for Sony 12xx or Barco 8xx but to me the shelf looked kind of small, couldn’t be too much left. And yes they have some case parts left too.

The last thing Bill mentioned is that they were trying to open a retail outlet.

I believe this would be a larger demo area for local customers in a more ideal location. I think many of their current sales are in design and installing systems in rich snobs homes.

They sell and promote Runco, you know the manufacture that makes the best projector in the world! They also repair the Runco’s too.

So I hope you all stocked up on the projector parts for your favorite PJ…

I can safely say I own more projectors than PSI.

Curt is the true KING of the PJ stock, not sure who would be next but I don’t think its many.

Wanted to share to all what I found out about the company, as you can see I tried to remember many details so the story could finaly get out as to the REAL DEAL at PSI.

Pat

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
I was wondering who got the tubes. The remotes got too expensive for me, the tubes were a good deal, but too rich for my blood.

:)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I saw the four large boxes of miscellaneous Sony parts go for an unopposed bid of $1 each. If I would have had access to some sort of warehouse space, I would have bid. It about made me sick to see all that stuff going for nothing. Was that you that got that stuff, Skyforum? I hope it was somebody here.

SC

·
Registered
962 Posts
I must say that I had a talk with Matt(MattPSI on here) awhile ago about the shop and we both agreed that if they want to make it in the HT biz, they are going to have to sell more then used CRT FP's. There was a lot more to the conversation but we don't need to get into that, but I really didn't expect them to drop CRT altogether and become digital pimps, which from what i've heard is exactly what they've become. I've also heard threw the grapevine is that one day they were talking about how good CRT is and how it destroys digital in overall performance, and the next day they became Runco dealers and now CRT is nothing in comparison. I'm not really to fond of what they are doing over there now. They are becoming what every other HT shop around here is, just another company that BS's to make a buck.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

This is what happens when someone's reach exceeds their grasp; I cannot imagine doing a good job with seven brands of new and used hardware without lots of skill, experience, market savvy, low overhead, and Deep Pockets to weather a slow stretch.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
No, I didn't even bid on them (I actually would have, but was out of town the hour that they went) . I do have a 60x100 foot warehouse and could have stored them, but I agree with you that it was almost shameful that the items went for the opening $1. I paid good money for the rest, but I must admit the CRT projector lens lot that I bought went for $1 unopposed too. My interest is strictly in Barco, EHome, and NEC. The only Sony that I have an interest in at present is the G90 (please don't flame me, G70 and 1292 users), but as long as I have BR909's and 1209s in stock that interest is limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrabb
I saw the four large boxes of miscellaneous Sony parts go for an unopposed bid of $1 each. If I would have had access to some sort of warehouse space, I would have bid. It about made me sick to see all that stuff going for nothing. Was that you that got that stuff, Skyforum? I hope it was somebody here.

SC

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
The big problem with CRT's is after sales service. It doesn't really matter what industry it is, I see this in the sound installation business all the time:

Anyone with any sales skills can sell anything to anyone. Ice to an Eskimo, a heater to an Arizonian, etc..:)

Install? "Oh crap, I think I can get my buddy Fred to put that thing in, he used to be a car stereo installer in high school".

Service? "What do you mean it broke? It was working fine when I left".

Same happened a lot locally when the PRO 851 projectors were en vogue. I lost countless sales to satellite guys that put them in at cost to get the satellite contract. Problem was, the satellite guys couldn't fix the sets when they died on the Sat before Superbowl, so I got the customers back. And you bet I surcharged when I got called on a Sat!

So not to knock PSI or any other reseller, but there's no question that the after sales service is key when dealing with used projectors. It's a lot easier dealing with digitals. After the sale, you sell a customer a bulb. If that's not it, you sell them a new unit.

I'd say an average CRT sale takes 2 hours of after sales support just to get it running. "How do I mount it, what's Scheimpflug, etc etc". "What is raster?" (well, we're still trying to figure that one out!);)

If a set fails, then it's mandatory to keep parts/boards in stock and then walk the customer through the board replacement procedure. If you get the wrong info from the customer as to what's wrong, due to asking the wrong questions, or the customer giving you incorrect info, then you spend time and money sending out boards that you didn't need to.

And when you're dealing with something like a Sony 1031 that got damaged in shipping, it wasn't worth selling in the first place.

The way I see it, it all works out in the end. You get screaming deals on some surplus sets, you make a killing when you resell. The warranty service and the lemons you buy offset those super deals.

But as I've said recently in another thread, my servicing to boards has gone way up as others get out of CRT's. I'm good with that!..:)

Curt

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme
The big problem with CRT's is after sales service. It doesn't really matter what industry it is, I see this in the sound installation business all the time:

Anyone with any sales skills can sell anything to anyone. Ice to an Eskimo, a heater to an Arizonian, etc..:)

Install? "Oh crap, I think I can get my buddy Fred to put that thing in, he used to be a car stereo installer in high school".

Service? "What do you mean it broke? It was working fine when I left".

Same happened a lot locally when the PRO 851 projectors were en vogue. I lost countless sales to satellite guys that put them in at cost to get the satellite contract. Problem was, the satellite guys couldn't fix the sets when they died on the Sat before Superbowl, so I got the customers back. And you bet I surcharged when I got called on a Sat!

So not to knock PSI or any other reseller, but there's no question that the after sales service is key when dealing with used projectors. It's a lot easier dealing with digitals. After the sale, you sell a customer a bulb. If that's not it, you sell them a new unit.

I'd say an average CRT sale takes 2 hours of after sales support just to get it running. "How do I mount it, what's Scheimpflug, etc etc". "What is raster?" (well, we're still trying to figure that one out!);)

If a set fails, then it's mandatory to keep parts/boards in stock and then walk the customer through the board replacement procedure. If you get the wrong info from the customer as to what's wrong, due to asking the wrong questions, or the customer giving you incorrect info, then you spend time and money sending out boards that you didn't need to.

And when you're dealing with something like a Sony 1031 that got damaged in shipping, it wasn't worth selling in the first place.

The way I see it, it all works out in the end. You get screaming deals on some surplus sets, you make a killing when you resell. The warranty service and the lemons you buy offset those super deals.

But as I've said recently in another thread, my servicing to boards has gone way up as others get out of CRT's. I'm good with that!..:)

Curt

That is so true and it is why I stopped selling the things here in Winnipeg. As far as electronics go we know that CRT is quite reliable and usually totally fixable when/if broken. But knowing what to do or where to find the info is one thing. Making time to do it is another.

I sold a few units here and for the most part they have been very reliable. I've had the odd service call and each time I've been able to fix it myself or myself with some over the phone help and parts support from the master (Curt).

One day I thought to myself. Ok these are a bargain and easy to sell. You've got a dozen or so running locally and support is not too bad. But what if you have 100 or more running (I don't think it would be that hard to sell that many). Suddenly support although still reasonable considering the numbers is consuming some real time.

With a wife ,kids and a full time career it was time to stop and leave it to the real experts with the time and resources avail to donate to the CRT cause.

Now i just enjoy my own CRT and service the units I have sold. I can manage that into the forseeable future.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do understand the concept of selling used equipment, you keep it on the shelf for a long time just to have a customer talk you down on price or frying it and saying its your fault.

I used to repair computers for a longtime, easy way to make some extra cash, just charge half what Best Buy does for their service. Installing things was the easy part, and then came all the phone support for unrelated problems, problems that wasted my time and didn’t net any extra funds.

Anyways I wrote this today to inform people what I saw was going on and to give an accurate record of their current stock. I didn’t want to bash PSI or say “Hay you can’t get a Sony 1250 power supply from themâ€, because you probably can. But I did want to say if you own an older Sony 12xx with good tubes you might want to have some hard to find parts on hand.

My second point is possibly the market will rise a bit without PSI, just dumping their goods on the market. Some of the prices got just out of hand, yes the deals were good for some but only for the fortunate ones to pay shipping on huge lots. I do wish I had bid on the Barco 1200’s they had many with not bad tubes.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Why are they in such a hurry

Some of those remotes and tubes if sold seperatly

would have attracted bids and returned a lot more capitial

Or if the bulk lots where sorted into projector models

·
Registered
301 Posts
Why are they in such a hurry

Some of those remotes and tubes if sold separately

would have attracted bids and returned a lot more capitial

Or if the bulk lots where sorted into projector models

·
Registered
301 Posts
So who is going to bid on the current lot

I would like one of the RM-1270S remotes

However postage to Australia with all the other items in the auction

kills it

I do not see the RM-1270S come up for auction often

and never in Australia ,there must be hundreds of them out there with

all the switchers you see for sale

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Why not? Actually, I have been doing high-end HT installations for years outside of the Day Job, but I did mainly the audio and woodwork, wiring and rackage, UPS. My partner with whom I worked did the projector portion (he was my friend and engineering colleague at NASA from more than twenty years ago). Now, with the demise of my partner, and given that I have professionally worked with systems design and engineering of projection systems with DoD and NASA for nearly 30 years now as a degreed electrical engineer myself, it is a logical next step to just do everything from now on including projectors.

Already, there is a projector on the ceiling of each of my four kids' rooms at my house, and in the wife's craft room too. So as a family we are kinda into good CRT cinema. Of course THEY get the spare 808s units, not the 9-inchers! In fact, Curt Palme is helping me with a few 1208/2 units to upgrade the older kid's rooms later this year.

Locally, there are a surprisingly large number of multi-millionaires around the DC/Baltimore area who think nothing of sinking a spare $50K to $100K into a truly high-end HT to spruce up their $3M+ waterfront homes here along the Chesapeake and the Potomac. With the crazy upwards spiral of home prices in this area over the past few years, the house is worth double what it cost the builder almost before it is completed. So, I can argue that the HT will return about three times the cost in added value to the house at sale (or resale) time, in that category of home.

Since my partner passed, I have been bidding on every one of these new-house HT jobs I could find for the last 12 to 18 months, and landing a goodly percentage every so often based on quality, not high-volume storefront. So it is a good balance to focus only on no more than one job a month, sometimes two, with a good 9500LC or a G90 or a BR909/Cine9 and an Infinity speaker system with all-McIntosh components to go into these high-end HTs.

Always it was brand-new gear we bought for these HT installs. It has only been recently, since May or so, that I have been getting more heavily into buying on the used market and in auctions, and refurbing projectors myself. If it were not for the years of doing those installs and doing the calibrations too, and decades of bench experience down to the component level in design and development engineering, it would be very hard to get into this. But I find that it is not as difficult to modify or rebuild an existing projector as it was to design the DoD and NASA systems from scratch and then integrate them into Mission Control rooms and flight simulators. Of course, having a good supply of parts courtesy the former PSI now will not hurt either :)

Let the high-volume storefronts sell a bulb every now and then, or junk last year's DLP in favor of this year's model. There will ALWAYS be room for the truly high-end in PQ, the 9-inch liquid-coupled CRT projector, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo
skyforum,

So, are you now getting into the reselling business?

Ericglo

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
So, one of the biggest players in the field is folding? That could very well cause a trend.

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
So, one of the biggest players in the field is folding? That could very well cause a trend.
I don't think so. Maybe for a bit. Besides, they are not folding.

People still don't like the disposability of digitals, and that will never change. The overall longevity and servicabilty of CRT's still attract a lot of people.

Oh, but I DID manage to find the fault in an old LCD the other day that I was given. A shorted filter cap. We'll see how it powers up once I get the new cap in.

OTOH, the 'success' of trying to fix the 50" plasma that I was given can now be found somewhere on the fleabay.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.