AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using an RCA DTC-100 and the PGM guide works fine on WFAA in Dallas. I see no guide info using a new out of the box Mits SR-HD5 in the OTA mode. Maybe I need to hook up to Direct TV for an update. Any other users out there with experience. This is PSIP program guide info I am working on. We are manually typing it in most evenings. Anyone in DFW see it on anything other than the DTC-100. This is something that we the broadcaster and the manufactures need to address.

JStigler

·
Registered
780 Posts
I don't think the Mits SR-5 (or any of the Hughes boxes) use PSIP at all. They use the APG from the DirecTV satellite instead for all guide info and channel mapping. I don't think you need a subscription for it, just a dish.

The Sony HD100 does use PSIP and not the APG, but seems unable to decode most stations PSIP data correctly. The DTC-100 seems to be the only one that even makes much of an attempt.

Tony

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
The RCA's are the only receivers that fully support PSIP properly.

Samsung does a pretty good job, but is quite slow.

Others only read the "short name" of PSIP, for example:

WRAA-DT 79.1

·
Registered
734 Posts
The SR-HD5 does need to be connected to a satellite dish in order to receive the info for the APG. During setup it is necessary to enter the zip code for any cities for which you want the guide info. The receiver then downloads a zip code database and then downloads guide info based on the zip codes that you specified.

With my HD5, I'm able to receive digital signals from both San Diego and LA, so I've entered my San Diego ZIP code as well as a LA ZIP code. My receiver displays program descriptions for every digital station that I receive, San Diego and LA, as well as San Diego locals that I receive via satellite.

As far as PSIP, my understanding of this is that PSIP is a signal that is sent out along with a digital broadcast that tells a receiver to remap a channel from the actual channel used to a virtual sub-channel of the analog broadcast channel for that station.

My HD5 has remapped every digital signal that I receive to a virtual sub-channel that is equivalent to the analog broadcast channel that the station normally broadcasts on. I don't know whether it is doing this from PSIP or guide data, but it still does it.

For example, KFMB, the CBS affiliate here in San Diego, broadcasts their VHF analog signal on channel 8. Their digital signal is broadcast on UHF channel 55, but shows up in the APG as KFMB-DT channel 8-1 with complete program descriptions. This is the case for every digital channel that I receive from both San Diego and LA.

I had a Sony HD100 as a loaner for two weeks and all of the digital stations showed up only on their actual channel at the top of the guide, separated from the rest of the stations. There was no identification of the station name and no program descriptions. I didn't care for this receiver at all, except for the LED display on the front.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.