AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mid-November is the current rumor.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/24/ps...ble-this-year/

The latest issue of PSM revives the PS3 Sixaxis rumble rumors, hinting once again that Sony could integrate the "last-gen feature" into upcoming controllers. According to the magazine's rumor section, Sony will announce rumble support at E3 for a release in mid-November. The re-designed controller will allow both tilting and rumble, united at long last thanks to the settled courtroom battle between Sony and Immersion.

·
Registered
112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cysquatch /forum/post/0

The latest issue of PSM revives the PS3 Sixaxis rumble rumors, hinting once again that Sony could integrate the "last-gen feature" into upcoming controllers. According to the magazine's rumor section, Sony will announce rumble support at E3 for a release in mid-November. The re-designed controller will allow both tilting and rumble, united at long last thanks to the settled courtroom battle between Sony and Immersion.

This makes me a bit angry... These things cost 50 bucks each and their going to be outdated less than a year later.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cysquatch /forum/post/0

I'm gladed that I didn't get an extra controller from the get go... well, it is not really needed at the moment anyway.

Sony should have just settled with Immersion earlier like everybody else. Oh well.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sometimes I think I'm the only one that likes the non rumble controllers. I like the light weight and good battery life. I turned the rumble off in most games anyway, I always found it distracting. Maybe I will be able to pickup some non rumble controllers on ebay for a deal when the new ones come out.

-Sean

·
Registered
3,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badahab /forum/post/0

Sometimes I think I'm the only one that likes the non rumble controllers. I like the light weight and good battery life. I turned the rumble off in most games anyway, I always found it distracting. Maybe I will be able to pickup some non rumble controllers on ebay for a deal when the new ones come out.

-Sean

I really haven't missed rumble either. If the new controllers use some new kind of rumble tech I'll give it a try, otherwise I'll be in no hurry to change.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I only have one controller because I knew rumble was coming back. I really want a second controller. The new one can't come out soon enough.

Now if they would only make it bigger.

·
Registered
529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbucsfan /forum/post/0

This makes me a bit angry... These things cost 50 bucks each and their going to be outdated less than a year later.

Eh, I remember when Dual Shock first came out for the PS1. Imagine owning two Playstation controllers minus rumble AND thumbsticks!

That said, the PS3 was really a system hatched before its time. The game-changing firmware update today and the total lack of titles for the beast kind of prove that out.

That said, I'm going to request gift cards to a specific merchant (Costco) for Christmas, with a PS3 on the brain. No doubt that by Christmas it will be a much more worthwhile system.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
For many games, rumble is poorly implimented. And now that I am used to NOT having rumble, I am more sensative to poorly implimented rumble.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Does anyone think that they would ever implement some kind of trade in program? I'm not a huge fan of rumble, but hey motion sensing + rumble as a bonus? I'm not going to complain. I know people will point to the PS1 controller pre-dualshock and how there was no such trade in program for those controllers, but these new rumble controllers are coming months after instead of much later in the consoles lifespan. I think it would show much goodwill toward their devoted user base if they were to implement such a program.

·
Registered
529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone /forum/post/0

For many games, rumble is poorly implimented. And now that I am used to NOT having rumble, I am more sensative to poorly implimented rumble.

I think it's GREAT for shooters, it's a very efficient way to know you're taking damage.

For pretty much any other genre of game, I shut it off. It can get annoying.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone /forum/post/0

Surprisingly, to myself at least, I totally agree with this statement. I don't miss rumble as much as I thought I would, but even when I do its not that big a deal. As you said, its also MUCH easier to determine when rumble hasn't been implemented correctly for a game.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I'm glad to hear about the announcement ... now all they have to do is redesign the controller IMO. Inverted thumb grips on the analog sticks are a start =) hint hint nudge nudge, Sony =)

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger119 /forum/post/0

I'm glad to hear about the announcement ... now all they have to do is redesign the controller IMO. Inverted thumb grips on the analog sticks are a start =) hint hint nudge nudge, Sony =)

You're saying you would want the analogs to be hollowed out in the middle instead of fully filled in? How could that possibly change the way you play games?

edit* btw....I havent missed rumble as much as I thought I would either. It is VERY easy to know if you're taking damage in resistance if you have your sound turned up and have your eyes open. I dont really miss it at all.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by pernar

I think it's GREAT for shooters, it's a very efficient way to know you're taking damage.

I agree but only if developers didn't use rumble when firing your weapon. As its difficult to know when your taking on damage, if you are playing a shooter where most of the time you are firing you weapon. RFOM is a perfect example as many games are a complete killing spree...

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
By the time the thing starts rumbling, you're already dead unless the person is a noob.

I think rumble is great for racing games with force feedback wheels. Little else.

It shouldn't even be called rumble for controllers. It's more like "vibration". You want rumble, turn your sound system up. You can make the whole house "rumble".

·
Registered
1,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* /forum/post/0

You're saying you would want the analogs to be hollowed out in the middle instead of fully filled in? How could that possibly change the way you play games?

I think you got me wrong ... I didn't want to compare it but I'm going to ... basically the way the analog sticks are on the 360 controllers. The top (where you place your thumbs) is crater-like on the 360 and more of a bump or dome on the PS3. My thumbs tend to slip more on the PS3 version. I feel much more stable on the 360 controllers (no fanboy).

·
Registered
Sony XBR-85X950H, Denon AVR-X6700H, Oppo UDP-203
205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger119 /forum/post/0

I think you got me wrong ... I didn't want to compare it but I'm going to ... basically the way the analog sticks are on the 360 controllers. The top (where you place your thumbs) is crater-like on the 360 and more of a bump or dome on the PS3. My thumbs tend to slip more on the PS3 version. I feel much more stable on the 360 controllers (no fanboy).

I wouldn't hold your breath. The analog sticks have been convex since the original Dual Shock on the PS1. It's all a matter of preference. I would prefer that the Xbox 360's sticks be convex like the PS3's.

·
Banned
9,953 Posts
So, they gonna allow trade in program for thoes of us who got duped into buying their old controllers before they made nice with immersion?

If they can do it with the Fifth Element, they should do it for us!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.