AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, figure I'd ask the masses here. Does anyone know of a particular reason as to why you can't buy a downloadable HD movie, but you can rent it?

Thanks! - M

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
$$$$$$$$$$

That's it. Sony wants more of it. Afterall, who needs a Bluray player when you can just download HD quality movies (though they dont compare at all)? So by not letting you keep them they will likely make their money twice as you would be forced to go out and purchase the movie on either BD or DVD.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
let me ask why you would want to?

They cost too much, can't be backed up, and you can't redownload them*

I buy HD stuff on XBLM as the content has way fewer restrictions.

*Sony may let you, but you have to ask...and will be granted ONCE.

·
Banned
3,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/15524646

let me ask why you would want to?

They cost too much, can't be backed up, and you can't redownload them*

I buy HD stuff on XBLM as the content has way fewer restrictions.

*Sony may let you, but you have to ask...and will be granted ONCE.

Don't forget to add the PQ and AQ quality is lacking at times.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
I wish you could rent new movies too. You can only buy them in SD? I'm looking for a reason to use the service and every time I find a movie I want to see, it's only available to buy, in SD (not that I would buy it still if it was HD, I just don't want to buy a movie, on my ps3). I just want to watch the movie once in streamed HD ala comacast on demand. IMO every single movie they have should be available for rent OR download in both SD AND HD. They would make a lot more I would think.

The reason they only stream HD and not dl, if I had to guess, is related to storage space of the ps3s. The file size of the HD movies would probably be pretty big and would fill up ps3s quickly. When they are streamed, however, they use a bit a bandwidth but don't fill up the ps3. Just a guess, but it makes sense to me.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Rage /forum/post/15526541

I wish you could rent new movies too. You can only buy them in SD? I'm looking for a reason to use the service and every time I find a movie I want to see, it's only available to buy, in SD (not that I would buy it still if it was HD, I just don't want to buy a movie, on my ps3). I just want to watch the movie once in streamed HD ala comacast on demand. IMO every single movie they have should be available for rent OR download in both SD AND HD. They would make a lot more I would think.

The reason they only stream HD and not dl, if I had to guess, is related to storage space of the ps3s. The file size of the HD movies would probably be pretty big and would fill up ps3s quickly. When they are streamed, however, they use a bit a bandwidth but don't fill up the ps3. Just a guess, but it makes sense to me.

HD content isn't streamed, it just has a time limit on it. You still download it.

You can't buy it because Sony wants you to buy bluray discs. And really, you should anyway because SD movies are what, $15 or something? Pay $10 more for the bluray and get full 1080p, much better sound quality, extras, etc... Plus you don't have to worry about losing it in a HDD crash or something.

As for why you would rent from the PSN when you could just stream from Comcast on demand or something similar... obviously this is intended for people that do not have those options.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martez /forum/post/15527237

HD content isn't streamed, it just has a time limit on it. You still download it.

You can't buy it because Sony wants you to buy bluray discs. And really, you should anyway because SD movies are what, $15 or something? Pay $10 more for the bluray and get full 1080p, much better sound quality, extras, etc... Plus you don't have to worry about losing it in a HDD crash or something.

As for why you would rent from the PSN when you could just stream from Comcast on demand or something similar... obviously this is intended for people that do not have those options.

The only movies I want to stream from PSN are the ones that are not yet available on comcast. I search, and they ARE available for purchase, but not for rental. I would have easily rented 5-6 movies by now through PSN, but they all only offered purchase.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
They are experimenting with HD purchases. I noticed you can buy the Dead Space movie as well as 24: Redemption. I prefer to buy Blu Ray for HD myself for the better quality.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow /forum/post/15528295

They are experimenting with HD purchases. I noticed you can buy the Dead Space movie as well as 24: Redemption. I prefer to buy Blu Ray for HD myself for the better quality.

Makes sense that they are experimenting. It's probably not cheap to license the rights to sell a film (digital or not), they likely don't want to pay to make all these available to buy if they don't know what kind of interest there is.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
well, until they lift many of their ludicrous restrictions, they'll never sell one to me.

To not offer a re-download option is just silly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts