AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my PSO-SX21 lens that replaced the one I got at first with alignment problems, thanks Shawn :)

This one looks very good, no ghosting.

It attaches over the outer lens ring on the projector and protrudes up a couple of inches above the top of the projector. It is very compact though and matches the silver color of the projector. It looks exactly like the one for the HT1000.

I measured an increase in brightness of 17% and, of course, it increases resolution by 33% providing a very nice smooth filmlike picture with added depth.

Last night I was putting it through its paces and I was watching TFE and there is a scene where Bruce Willis opens the door to his appartment and there is a guy holding a gun on him. Then he pulls a gun and sticks it out towards the camera and it looked as if I was wearing 3D glasses, it really jumped out of the screen.

Very cool :cool:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I'm glad this worked out for you. I'm looking at an SX21/Panamorph combo myself.

How would you say the focus is across the image? Any color separation or geometry problems? I always had a bit of difficulty getting the image right with my Hitachi 5500 and P752 standalone Panamorph. Focus around the edges was fuzzy, and color separation toward the top of the image was also an issue. I'm hoping this non-liquid version mounted right on the lens will be significantly improved.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This one, to me, appears to be perfect. I put up geometry patterns and I saw no distortion at all. Focus right out to the edges is sharp and beautiful. I watched a couple of movies tonight and there really does seem to be a difference in picture depth. The increased brightness really made things POP as well. I am beginning to get really addicted to a bright image, I don't think I could go back to DLP at this point.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Free
I am beginning to get really addicted to a bright image, I don't think I could go back to DLP at this point.
Phil,

I agree about bright images being addictive. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but is the SX21 as shipped really brighter (or much brighter) than the InFocus 7200? At CEDIA it was, but it seems that they had to decrease the brightness. Evan Powell measured the 7200 and the MT8 and now he posted today that his is finishing up his SX21 review, so we should get to see how his samples compare.

Based on the spec of 1200 lumens, that should be 900 for 16x9 without the lens and then another 17% back gives about 1050. The 7200 is rated at 1000, although I think Evan measured it lower and some European magazine measured it higher.

--Darin

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was referring to the SX21 with the lens and thinking of most other DLP's. I look forward to the time when most DLP's are as bright as the InFocus 7200 and if I had to go back to DLP at this time and the throw distance worked for me I would put the 7200 at the top of my list.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hold the phone!

I am starting to see a problem with this lens. I am not sure if there is some kind of drift involved because I can't see how I could have missed this when I first installed the lens.

Here is a picture of what I am seeing. Don't look if you are Squeamish

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My camera is a bit close so the pictures blur a bit, but here is a picture of the way it looks without the PSO-SX21 Lens.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Phil,

I've seen worse color separation than that. I think this is just one of the accepted (by those who use them) side effects of anamorphic lenses. Do you notice it at viewing distance?

--Darin

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, as I am finding out this may be normal color fringing. It also may be exacerbated by the fact that in my installation I have to put a 2.75" block under the rear of the projector so it has a pretty severe tilt to it.

The pictures are taken very close so it does show up as worse than it is. From my viewing distance it is not noticeable but there may be some noticeable softening of the image as a result.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
That doesn't look too bad. It's much better than my P752, which has a drift of up to 2 or 3 pixels in some spots, not to mention the overall softening caused by the liquid-filled optics. The tilt is almost certainly affecting your focus across the screen as well (2.75" is a lot, are you using keystone correction?).

I'll have my SX21 and lens next week, so I'll take some screen shots and post them for comparison.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I am using Keystone but there is still some bowing at the outer edge. This projector is not designed for flexibility :(

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
A lens shift would have been a welcome option. I'm used to it though since I had a Hitachi 5500 for about 8 months. The throw ratio is pretty flexible, just like the JVC, but it has to be mounted at just the right height and angle to get the geometry/focus on target.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I worked on this all day with Shawn's help and have it almost perfect. Aparently these lenses fit a variety of projectors and so they are not necessarily exactly fined tuned for the individual projector.

There are two screws that when loosened allow for adjusting the angle of tilt and after working on it for a few hours I have almost completely eliminated the fringing. It is very close to the picture without the lens now.

Thanks to Shawn for the great customer service and walking me through the steps I needed to take.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here are a couple of pictures that show what I did to correct the problem. The amount of adjustment and direction in which to tilt and shim the lens will vary based on your installation.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And one more:

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Phil, I have your exact same lens/pj. I haven't gotten it all installed yet, but my projector lens is perpendicular to the screen, no keystone correction is being used at all. Do you think I'll need this PSO lens manipulation?

Or are you experiencing the phenomenon because the projector lens wasn't at right angles to the screen to start with?

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is possible that the tilt of my projector exacerbates the problem. I have tried turning off the keystone adjustment and it made no difference so I am not sure if that is a factor.

Bottom line, you will just have to see how it looks when you get it set up. If you notice the same problem you now know what to do :)

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Phil,

How are you handling the aspect ratio stuff with the SX21. I read here that it doesn't have many internal controls for setting it up for the Panamorph. Do you just put it in 4x3 mode and then does it stretch the images vertically? Or are you using an external scaler? Can you get it to scale 1080i to the full 4x3 panel without an HTPC?

Thanks,

Darin

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Right now 1080i is my only problem so I have the projector set to Panel and 4:3 for my RCA DTC-100 which comes into the projector via RGB.

All of my other sources are scaled via the HTPC and I use the controls within the H3D card to get it just right with the projector set to 1:1.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.