AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
How great can a 32 bit game look anyway? I like Resident Evil and it still looks just as crappy.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW-SMOkeY /forum/post/0

Now please, please hurry up with those games

It's not up to Sony; it's up to the game developers (studios).

Maybe Sony can set the time line for the 1st party games, but the studios still have the final say. For the 3rd party games; Sony has no control over that.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Does anyone know if PS2 games still don't fill up the entire screen on a fixed-panel display when using the PS3?

Basically, on my 37" Panasonic plasma, I get two, inch-long black bars on both sides of the image with my PS2. This is despite the PS2 being set to 16:9 in the system menu and setting any games to 16:9 on in-game menus. It's very annoying and I'd hope Sony would fix this with PS3's backwards compatibility.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You're worried about a PS1 game????!??.... and yet you want to show us your HD DVD and BD collection? You couldn't pay me to play a PS1 game. The graphics are just plain lousy and to complain that the PS3 makes them look worse is just plain silly. (perhaps a MS fanboyy?)

curyman

·
Registered
307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union0015 /forum/post/0

Does anyone know if PS2 games still don't fill up the entire screen on a fixed-panel display when using the PS3?

Basically, on my 37" Panasonic plasma, I get two, inch-long black bars on both sides of the image with my PS2. This is despite the PS2 being set to 16:9 in the system menu and setting any games to 16:9 on in-game menus. It's very annoying and I'd hope Sony would fix this with PS3's backwards compatibility.

Sounds more like the game intentionally underscanning than a problem with the PS3's backwards compatibility. Is the problem there when the game is played on a PS2?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I still play NES games so it is a nice feature for me. Better graphics are nice but not required. If the gameplay is fun and/or the stroy is done well I will play it.

·
Registered
10,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow /forum/post/0

The graphical issues with a small number of games from the PSOne and PS2 have been finally fixed.

They should now look as good or better than they did on the original systems. Good job Sony!

This is awesome... thanks for the heads-up! Now I'm closer to nabbing Final Fantasy XII.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow /forum/post/0

The graphical issues with a small number of games from the PSOne and PS2 have been finally fixed.

They should now look as good or better than they did on the original systems. Good job Sony!

Sweet!!!

Now, that opens the door to these gems:

Silent Hill 3

God of War

Shadow Hearts: Covenant

Ratchet & Clank

Final Fantasy XII

Suikoden III

Jak II

Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition

The Thing

ICO

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence

Okami

·
Registered
178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswell /forum/post/0

Sounds more like the game intentionally underscanning than a problem with the PS3's backwards compatibility. Is the problem there when the game is played on a PS2?

Yes, also occurs on the PS2.

I was just hoping that there would be a way for PS2 to "upscale" the game to an HDTV's native resolution.

I wish there was a way I could adjust it with my TV, but it happens on all zoom modes.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
and now I can play GoW2 on my PS3 without worries!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Well the huge "tearing" that occurred with native 480i PS2 games is gone for me, but the PQ is still subpar compared to the PS2 over component cables (my PS3 is hooked up via HDMI). Popped FFXII in a minute ago and the text and picture are noticably crisper on my PS2. I'm hoping they'll continue to work on it (since it's still nowhere near perfect) but i'm guessing this is as good as it's gonna get.

·
Registered
12,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^^ Likely that its your TV as the source of the problem (or your settings). My affected PS2 games via HDMI look fantastic now. People all over the net are giddy about the visuals of FXII through the PS3. Your story appears to be the exception to the rule.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you just popped in FF12 to check it out on PS3 then you must change in-game settings - specifically text flicker filter - to disabled! This is the default setting so if you don't change it, the picture will look worse than what you're used to! I tried new update last night and I don't think there is any difference between PS2 and PS3 now.

·
Registered
371 Posts
It was actually the settings in FFXII. When i turned the Flicker Filter off when starting a new game the text got noticably crisper. I'll have to pop in some other games to check out since it seems that FFXII is an odd one due to that Flicker Filter being default on if you've got no saved games on your machine.

EDIT: lol aos007 where were you an hour ago! Funny that we posted that the exact same minute..... Anyways, think i got it. Off to try some other games.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am purchasing a PS3 soon now that the backward compatiability issues have been addressed, BUT I would like to know how PS1/PS2 games display on widescreen? Do they automatically go to 4:3 with bars on the side or do they stretch the screen?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.