AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't read much of anything on this board recently regarding these two portable machines.I'm in the market for one(maybe both),and would appreciate reading the experiences,good and bad, of anyone with these items.Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I bought my teenage son a PSP for his birthday and after playing with it and seeing all the cool things it can do, I leaning toward getting one for myself. Putting Music on the PSP is as simple as connecting it USB (Windows automatically recognizes it) and basically dragging and dropping MP3's.

The 2.0 update which is supposed to be available tomorrow will let you browse the web with the PSP. All you would need is a wireless router.

I at first Balked at the $250 price tag, but after getting it in my house and getting my hands on it and seeing what it's capable of, I can see why it cost that.

Oh..and it also plays games. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Currently I own both and have had them since they both came out. It's a hard thing to say which one is better since they are so drastically different. It isn't like Xbox vs Playstation.

The DS is a system all about games. Nintendo is trying to make most of the games innovative, but also easy to pick up and play. Their main focus is to get non gamers playing their system. Overall, I personally am a little disapointed by the system. The touch panel is too gimmicky. If you play Super Mario 64 DS on the system you'll quickly realize that the lack of joystick is upsetting. You are forced you to use a touch screen, which even though it gets the job done it's a different experience than the N64 version. (Note you can use the D-pad to walk..but again it doesnt feel good)

The PSP on the other hand is an all out entertainment device. A little more costly but can play movies, games, photos, and music. It is an awsome all in one device. Though I wouldn't use it for music since it's interface is a little clunky, it is awsome for movies and photos. The games are cool but the biggest problem with them is that they are taking PS2 games and downsizeing them for the PSP. I'd rather see some more inovative titles for the system. Lumines is an awsome puzzle game, the best I've ever played since Tetris, but since that game I haven't bought another title. Cause why pay 50 bucks for portable Wipeout when you can buy the full version of Wipeout on PS2 for the same price.

That's my biggest issue with the PSP over all is the cost. You spend $250 but your gunna want a bigger memory card (512MB or higher) so add roughly 80 dollars to the cost. You need a game and most are priced between $40-50. You want to buy a movie and they are chargeing insane prices for them. About $20 for each movie. I'd rather buy it on DVD and then just buy a portable dvd player.

Between the two my favorite is the PSP. If you like technology and you like devices like the iPod than it is THE system to own.

If you like quirky odd Nintendo titles, or you like it's simple pick up and play philosophy than that may be the one to go with for you. Just keep in mind their are rumors around the internet right now that Nintendo is price dropping the DS to $130 come August 21st in anticipation for what's gunna be their next big hit game Nintendogs.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I picked up a PSP at launch but mine was defective and after reading several other user reviews of defective PSPs out there, I decided I would take it back and wait for at least the second generation of the system to come out. I'm actually somewhat glad I did wait as really the only game that's out that I want is Lumines. I was very interested in other games like Death Jr and Coded Arms, but both received pretty mediocre reviews so, it makes me feel even better about deciding to wait.

I do have a DS but it too doesn't have a strong library. There are a few fantastic games out for it though that did help justify my purchase. Games like Zoo Keeper, Meteos, and Kirby Canvas Curse are great games and I have enjoyed them quite a bit. I also enjoyed Super Mario 64 DS a lot, and while it offers a lot of new things in the game, its still mostly a port of the N64 game Mario 64(which isn't necessarily bad, just nothing original).

That being said, I think the DS has a hugely strong lineup coming this holiday season. games like Metroid Prime Hunters, Nintendogs, new Super Mario Bros. game, Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing DS, Castlevania DS, etc. are all looking absolutely fantastic. Even better is that Nintendo will be launching their Wi Fi service this year, and 2 of the games announced to support it are Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing DS. That means you'll able to play these games online with other Nintendo DS owners, which has me very excited.

Rumor has it that the DS is about to have its first price drop. I've heard on other boards that it will be dropping to $129 around August 21st or so. My advice, if any of the games I mentioned seem to interest you, wait until this upcoming price drop and snag yourself a DS for even cheaper.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah I didn't mention, my PSP won't play now with the battery. It needs to be plugged in to work. Plus it has a dead pixel. I would wait a while for next generation models or when you buy it from the store buy one of their warranty things on it. I know most warranties are a rip off but most of these systems died and on top of it, many people had problems with the PS2 and it's disc read errors and power supply failures. I don't know what it is about Sony that they can just never get a hardware launch right.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OniLink55
Yeah I didn't mention, my PSP won't play now with the battery. It needs to be plugged in to work. Plus it has a dead pixel. I would wait a while for next generation models or when you buy it from the store buy one of their warranty things on it. I know most warranties are a rip off but most of these systems died and on top of it, many people had problems with the PS2 and it's disc read errors and power supply failures. I don't know what it is about Sony that they can just never get a hardware launch right.

good grief. It won't even play using a battery? man, I'm surprised you even play that thing. The one nice thing about a portable system is that its actually portable. Yeah, this is exactly the reason I won't buy any more Sony systems for at least a generation or 2.

The one thing I have to say about Nintendo is they do know how to put out a solid piece of hardware. It helps that the DS doesn't have any moving parts though, making it fairly durable.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah, when I look back on it I've never owned any Nintendo product that broke. Even my original old Gameboy which I abused to no end, I can still put batteries in and play today. And yet my XBox gets disc read errors, and I'm on my 2nd Playstation 2. My Gamecube however works as good as the first day I bought it.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
The PSP I bought was purchased a month ago , Not sure of the generation, but no dead pixels and no problems and my son has played it be it Music or games on a daily basis.

So far I'm really impressed with it.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by OniLink55
Yeah, when I look back on it I've never owned any Nintendo product that broke. Even my original old Gameboy which I abused to no end, I can still put batteries in and play today. And yet my XBox gets disc read errors, and I'm on my 2nd Playstation 2. My Gamecube however works as good as the first day I bought it.

I agree.Remember the days of blowing into your cartridges and machine to remove dusk? :D

Anyways,I've leaning more towards the PSP because it has more games that I play.I'm not into Mario,Kirby,etc so that may not be a wise purchase for me.

My only thing with PSP is the amount of people complaining about dead pixels and some retailers not wanting to exchange for a (hopefully) dead pixel free one.I wonder if the 2 wave of PSPs will correct this,or is this something that is an inherent flaw in the technology.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It's more of a flaw with the technology. Dead pixels show up in everything. For me I have one dead pixel and it's black and off to the right side of the screen so it's not distracting. But one thing you can do is buy the system and then if you have a dead pixel return it for a different reason.

My friend recently returned it because his came with no Spiderman movie or Demo disc. They swapped out the entire system for a new box and everything over a demo. Of course they opened it right their in the store to confirm it actually had everything so I guess you only have 1 shot with that excuse.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw
I agree.Remember the days of blowing into your cartridges and machine to remove dusk? :D

Anyways,I've leaning more towards the PSP because it has more games that I play.I'm not into Mario,Kirby,etc so that may not be a wise purchase for me.

My only thing with PSP is the amount of people complaining about dead pixels and some retailers not wanting to exchange for a (hopefully) dead pixel free one.I wonder if the 2 wave of PSPs will correct this,or is this something that is an inherent flaw in the technology.
Its an inherent flaw in the technology. Dead pixels are not uncommon with LCDs.

Just out of curiousity, which games do you like to play? That may help make things easier in terms of what's out and what's coming out. Just because Nintendo handhelds are famous for Nintendo games doesn't mean you can't buy other offerings.

Nonetheless, if you are looking for a handheld that offers console type games on the go, then a PSP is definitely the way to go. If you want to use it other than to play games, I agree with the poster above. Pick up a bigger memory stick. You'll also probably want to pick up an extra battery as well.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm addicted to playing both my PSP and DS. They both offer different gaming experiences. It doesn't hurt that my wife owns one of each as well, and we play WiFi games together on both systems. On the PSP, it's Untold Legends, WipEout Pure, and Twisted Metal. On the DS, it's Bomberman, Meteos, Zoo Keeper, and Puyo Pop. That has to be one of the coolest features of both systems.

While I was raised on Mario games, I initally balked at DS games like Kirby and Wario-Ware since they just looked too "kiddy" for my tastes. Then, I actually played them and realized how much of an utter blast they both are. Kirby makes great use of the touchscreen. Sure, it may look like a kid's game, but it can be incredibly challenging at times. I can easily jump from a heated battle in Ghost Recon 2 or slaying baddies in God of War, and then go right into Kirby and have just as much fun.

But as Jean said, it would be helpful to know what kind of games you like. If you like action/RPG games, then you may want to get a PSP...because in February, Untold Legends: Warriors' Cove will be released. It will support online co-op multiplayer with a matchmaking system for finding players of the same skill level. Can't wait for this, just like I can't wait for Animal Crossing DS and Mario Kart DS. So many games, so little time.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeJean
Its an inherent flaw in the technology. Dead pixels are not uncommon with LCDs.

Just out of curiousity, which games do you like to play? That may help make things easier in terms of what's out and what's coming out. Just because Nintendo handhelds are famous for Nintendo games doesn't mean you can't buy other offerings.

Nonetheless, if you are looking for a handheld that offers console type games on the go, then a PSP is definitely the way to go. If you want to use it other than to play games, I agree with the poster above. Pick up a bigger memory stick. You'll also probably want to pick up an extra battery as well.

At this time,I'm more into Metal gear solid,Halo,Grand theft auto,splinter cell,those mature themed games.But in all honesty,I'd rather have games unique to the system,like Luminess, as opposed to ports or 'special' PSP versions of the aforementioned games. I'll probably wind up using it for movies and music as much as games.I don't envision myself amassing a sizable game library for it. I already got Xbox,Gamecube,PS2 consoles to keep happy :D

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoogmr
But as Jean said, it would be helpful to know what kind of games you like. If you like action/RPG games, then you may want to get a PSP...because in February, Untold Legends: Warriors' Cove will be released. It will support online co-op multiplayer with a matchmaking system for finding players of the same skill level. Can't wait for this, just like I can't wait for Animal Crossing DS and Mario Kart DS. So many games, so little time.

I'm definitely into RPGs.The question is how many times will I be in a position to play a portable RPG for any significant amount of time.I don't envision too many times where I'll be sitting at home playing the PSP when I have the xbox,etc staring at me. Nevertheless,I'm not too familiar with Untold Legends but i will certainly check it out.Thanks for the tip :)

·
Registered
946 Posts
I've had my PSP since launch and have not had a single problem. A few dead pixels? Yes, but that doesn't kill the deal for me. It's great for flying and really gives you that "at home" console gaming feel with its great graphics. Battery life has NEVER been a problem on any flight, including Minneapolis to Hawaii.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw
At this time,I'm more into Metal gear solid,Halo,Grand theft auto,splinter cell,those mature themed games.But in all honesty,I'd rather have games unique to the system,like Luminess, as opposed to ports or 'special' PSP versions of the aforementioned games. I'll probably wind up using it for movies and music as much as games.I don't envision myself amassing a sizable game library for it. I already got Xbox,Gamecube,PS2 consoles to keep happy :D
Dragonyeuw,

Its a tough call then. On one hand you said you like certain types of games that will no doubt make an appearance on the PSP. For instance, the PSP has a game called Metal Gear Acid. Unfortunately, its not a traditional Metal Gear game, its a card battle game. Still, other games like GTA, Socom, and most likely Splinter Cell will be appearing on the PSP down the road.

On the other hand, you said you want games that are unique to the system. That's where the DS tends to outshine the PSP. The DS has a stronger library of games that are more unique to that system. The PSP's library tends to consist of ports or variations of current console games.

Its tough to make a recommendation. Are you looking to duplicate your console gaming experience on the portable side or are you looking to play completely unique games that are not available on any console?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayF
I've had my PSP since launch and have not had a single problem. A few dead pixels? Yes, but that doesn't kill the deal for me. It's great for flying and really gives you that "at home" console gaming feel with its great graphics. Battery life has NEVER been a problem on any flight, including Minneapolis to Hawaii.
Not to be nitpicky, but doesn't a few dead pixels constitute a problem? I mean, I can understand that its not a dealbreaker. But, saying a system doesn't have a single problem implies that its perfect right out of the box, which you have said, it isn't because of the dead pixels.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeJean
Its tough to make a recommendation. Are you looking to duplicate your console gaming experience on the portable side or are you looking to play completely unique games that are not available on any console?

Hmm... I guess a bit of both.Whilst I do have a few console favorites that I wouldn't mind seeing,I would like to play some original PSP titles.The fact that the system also serves as a movie and music player gets major points from me,although neither feature is probably as good as a standalone MP3 or portable dvd player. But the multi-purpose aspect of the system does make it attractive.

As I said before,it's not likely that my potential PSP game library will be that extensive,especially since the majority of games cost what a console game costs.So a few original titles and the odd PS2 port like Socom or Grand turismo will probably suffice for me.

·
Registered
383 Posts
SOCOM:Fireteam Bravo will probably be a lot of fun on the PSP. It will also support online play, though without voice-chat, that may or may not work well. Also, I've heard rumors that Splinter Cell will show up on it too. I think the PSP will handle that game better than the DS. Chaos Theory for DS didn't get very good reviews due to poor controls and slowdown.

One thing that I love about Untold Legends is that you can save anywhere at any time. That is perfect for portable pick-up-and-play gameplay. I going to assume that Warriors' Cove will have this feature too.

Another PSP game that may interest you is Bounty Hounds. This looks like a great 3rd-person action/shooter, which will be exclusive to the PSP. I'm anxiously awaiting more details about this game. See this article at Gamespot about it.

Oh, and it's usually the PSP that goes to work with me. I love having a movie playing while I work. Get the Logitech Playgear Pocket case for it too. It not only makes a great case, but it doubles as a stand for proping up the PSP for movie watching.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Voodoogmr for the advice.I'll have to read up on that Bounty hounds game.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.