AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are package deals for the PSP that go for around $249+tax, but I did have a few questions on it.

I am going to use the PSP for gaming exclusively.

I know some will say go get the DS Lite, since it is more of just a handheld gaming device, and goes for about $70 less on average then a PSP(just getting the PSP alone would cost $199+tax).

But I have to admit that the games just look cooler/better than the DS Lite. No knock against the DS Lite, but the games appear to be more geared towards kids, while the PSP offers games, even though they are just downrezzed PS2 games, that are more geared towards young adults/adults. At least in there current media library.

My questions are:

What do I need, minimially, to accomplish what I want(to just play games and have the ability to save there progress/etc...)?

Is it better to buy the bundle for $249(PSP/Bud earphones, which I have already and I would assume any type of earphones would connect to it/travel, carrying case I think/1 game/1 movie, which I will probably just trade in for another game anyway)?

Or can I do what I want for cheaper?(Single PSP/memory stick/plus just some extras like those plastic screen guards people place on their DS Lite, and probably the carrying case)

Also, with regards to the memory sticks, i am a little confused about them?

Once you load in the UMD game disc, do you no longer need it in order to play? In other words is everything loaded and stored on the memory stick(game and saves) which can be deleted and then a new game be uploaded onto that memory stick?

Or you always need the UMD disc placed in the back to play the game, like you would for anytype of handheld or console system?

Also, are there models now available that HAVE the updated firmware already loaded into it? That is one of the pluses of the DSLite, none of this garbage of having to constantly update firmware.

Or are the firmware updates mainly for the other functions of the PSP, and do not affect gameplay(mainly single person gameplay)?

Thanx in advance.

If I have anymore questions, I will ask.

·
Registered
810 Posts
firmware updates dont affect gameplay, but they extend functionality of PSP greatly, so I think of the best selling points of PSP is that new features are constantly added to it.

Cool stuff like watching movie off PS3, or watching Cable/Satellite from Sony's LocationFree device, and more things coming through updates.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Well, you guessed it that some people would tell you to buy the ds lite instead. If you want the device for things other than gaming then stick with the psp, but if you want to play the best games they are on the ds lite. I am only writing this becasie you said you didn't want to play kiddie games. A lot of the games do have a kiddie look to them, but they are simply more fun than anything the psp has. This is such a one sided match up it is not even close. The ds lite has the best games hands down. So unless you are adverse to having fun I would get the ds lite for games. But psp should be a pretty good media device. I know I didn't answer any of your questions (I don't have the answers), I just didn't want you to miss out on the ds lite becauseyou think it is too kiddie.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sorry, but get a DS.

The games are just more fun.

I've had both since their Japanese launch, and ive bought about 6 games for PSP (and most of them are also available on a home console) and around 16 for DS. I havent even touched the PSP in almost a year.

There are a few games i like on PSP, and a few more i'd like to get, but the TERRIBLE battery life and annoying load times really kill it as a portable game machine.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Buy an older PSP, and flash the firmware to the newest custom firmware (3.02OE-B), and you can play your old PS1 games, Emulators, homebrew games and apps, and retain all normal PSP functionality.

If that's no your thing, then it'll come down to which one has the games you want to play.

Me personally, I don't care much for the DS's library. I prefer the PSP's ports to the DS's niche titles.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
The Core PSP package ($199) will do you fine. And you can get a 1 gig memory card for 30. bucks now. Yes you need to leave the UMD in. The UMD is just a small CD-rom with a plastic protective cover. The game is on the UMD. It works just like a PS2 or PS3. You need the UMD to play the games. Only the games saves are stored on the memory sticks (like the PS2) Firmware updates, come via wifi internet access or, Every PSP game sold has Firmware on it. In order to play the game you have to be on at least the lastest software load at the time that game was released. (Which kind of limits the home brew folks) So the comment about firmware not affecting game play is correct. BUT if you dont have a current or newer version, you wont be able to play your new game unless you update...and again the software comes with the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE /forum/post/0

My questions are:

What do I need, minimially, to accomplish what I want(to just play games and have the ability to save there progress/etc...)?

Is it better to buy the bundle for $249(PSP/Bud earphones, which I have already and I would assume any type of earphones would connect to it/travel, carrying case I think/1 game/1 movie, which I will probably just trade in for another game anyway)?

Or can I do what I want for cheaper?(Single PSP/memory stick/plus just some extras like those plastic screen guards people place on their DS Lite, and probably the carrying case)

Also, with regards to the memory sticks, i am a little confused about them?

Once you load in the UMD game disc, do you no longer need it in order to play? In other words is everything loaded and stored on the memory stick(game and saves) which can be deleted and then a new game be uploaded onto that memory stick?

Or you always need the UMD disc placed in the back to play the game, like you would for anytype of handheld or console system?

Also, are there models now available that HAVE the updated firmware already loaded into it? That is one of the pluses of the DSLite, none of this garbage of having to constantly update firmware.

Or are the firmware updates mainly for the other functions of the PSP, and do not affect gameplay(mainly single person gameplay)?

Thanx in advance.

If I have anymore questions, I will ask.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx for all the input.

I decided to go with the DSLite though.

Although I liked the graphics on the PSP, and the game lineup seems a little more adult geared(although Nintendo could be changing that somewhat since alot of their buyers are adults now, not kids. Meaning just adding more adult games to their library).

The DSLite just seemed to be ALOT LESS INVOLVED. Meaning that I don't have to sit there and even consider, or worry about firmware updates, and all that jazz. I figure I will find games on the DSLite that are more appealing to me in time.

Also you can't beat the price on the DSLite compared to the PSP to get up and running, and then playing games.

It would be nice if Sony came out with a PSP STRIPPED!!(nice catchy name), that was ONLY a Handheld gaming unit, and then they could slash the price(at least $50-$60 on the PSP unit alone), and make it in more competition, price wise, as the DSLite.

I would then probably get one. But I doubt the idea of a PSP STRIPPED!! will ever happen considering the PSP has appeared to sell quite well here and abroad as is.

Thanx again for all the input.

·
Registered
810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE /forum/post/0

Thanx for all the input.

I decided to go with the DSLite though.

Although I liked the graphics on the PSP, and the game lineup seems a little more adult geared(although Nintendo could be changing that somewhat since alot of their buyers are adults now, not kids. Meaning just adding more adult games to their library).

The DSLite just seemed to be ALOT LESS INVOLVED. Meaning that I don't have to sit there and even consider, or worry about firmware updates, and all that jazz. I figure I will find games on the DSLite that are more appealing to me in time.

Also you can't beat the price on the DSLite compared to the PSP to get up and running, and then playing games.

It would be nice if Sony came out with a PSP STRIPPED!!(nice catchy name), that was ONLY a Handheld gaming unit, and then they could slash the price(at least $50-$60 on the PSP unit alone), and make it in more competition, price wise, as the DSLite.

I would then probably get one. But I doubt the idea of a PSP STRIPPED!! will ever happen considering the PSP has appeared to sell quite well here and abroad as is.

Thanx again for all the input.

whole point of PSP is that it is the way it is.

Its Sony. Its cutting edge, its overpriced, its for guys.

DSLite is complete opposite, as it should be. It is geared for completly different audience and is very much different device.

A lot like Wii vs PS3... I bet Sony and Nintendo sat down and talked about how to make gaming platforms that dont directly compete with each other.

My main goal for getting PSP would be a. playing movies and tv over location free or PS3, b. reading e-books, c. games.

On the other hand, my other half could never get into any PS2 or PS3 game that I tried to get for us to play together, and she recently spent hours playing cell phone game where you take pictures of fish for points (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). I mean taking pictures of fish for points! Apperantly it is a lot of fun.

So I am definetly thinking about geting an Wii eventually JUST for the sake of being able to play an game with my wife, prefferably game where you take pictures of fish. But they do have to improve graphics as stuff thats going on right now is below par.

I would guess that a lot of that applied to DSLite as well.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I think you made the right choice to go with DSlite.I own both,but honestly I barely touch my PSP.I agree with above that it is very similar to Wii versus PS3.Nintendo makes a system with simple,fun games with a new controller interface.Sony makes an all purpose,high tech gadget that does lots of things well,but none of them great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.