AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have they leaked out to anyone who hasn't signed the disclosure?

If anyone thinks this is a dirty question then I think this forum is ready to elect a priest to enforce the faith.

·
Registered
192 Posts
ReplayTV RTV5504 40-Hour Digital Video Recorder

Technical data

In the box: 1 ReplayTV RTV5504 PVR, 1 remote control, remote batteries, a user's manual, 1 coaxial video cable, 1 composite-video/stereo analog audio interconnect, 1 IR blaster cable, a 9-to-15-pin adapter, an RJH-to-9-pin adapter, an RJ-11 phone cable

Channel-block capability: Yes (and ratings block)

Archiving: Yes

Auto clock set: Yes

Buffer length: Equal to available hard-drive space

Built-in satellite receiver: No

Progressive scan: Yes

Horizontal resolution: Composite- and S-video: 425 lines; progressive-scan component-video: 450 lines

Broadband connectivity: Yes

Video signal-to-noise ratio: 50 dB

Audio frequency response: 20 to 20,000 Hz, +/- 1 dB

Differential gain: Less than 2 percent maximum

Lighted indicators: Yes (network activity and link lights)

Compatibility: Cable, satellite, and antenna programming feeds

Digital photo storage: Yes (through PC connection)

First-run recordings: Yes (records the first broadcast of an episode and ignores repeats)

Closed captioning: Yes

Reception: NTSC broadcast (when hooked up with an antenna)

Fast-forward/rewind: Up to 20x normal speed

Records favorites: Yes

Custom channels: Yes

Advance programming: Yes

Factory reset: Yes

Favorite channel memory: Yes

QuickSkip: Yes (jumps ahead 30 seconds)

Games included: No

Infrared port: Yes

Instant messaging: No

Instant replay time: 7 seconds

Interactive television: No

Internet capability: No

Keyword search: Yes

Theme record: Records programs based on themes or keywords

Screen saver: Yes (with the option for using digital photos as the source)

Hard-drive storage capacity: 40 GB

Maximum recording time: 40 hours

Monthly fee: Yes (after three years you pay a nominal $0.99/month ReplayTV Service fee in 1-, 2-, or 3- year increments)

Movies on demand: No

One-touch recording: Yes

Show extender: Yes (lets you manually extend recording time at the start or end of a program)

Picture-in-picture (PIP): No

Program recommendations: Yes

Number of programs recorded at once: 1

Recording conflict warning: Yes

Serial port: Yes

Ethernet port: Yes (one RJ-45)

Slow motion: Yes

Analog phone jack: Yes (one RJ-11)

Component-video inputs: 0

Component-video outputs: 1

Composite-video inputs: 2

Composite video outputs: 2

Audio inputs: 2 stereo analog (left/right) RCA, 1 optical digital-audio

Audio outputs: 2 stereo analog (left/right) RCA, 1 optical digital-audio

S-video input: 1

S-video output: 1

RF coaxial inputs: 1

RF coaxial outputs: 1

USB port: No

IR blaster: Yes

Universal remote included: No

Web-based control: Yes

Live TV buffering: Yes

Onscreen magazine: Replay Guide with Show Organizer

Pause live TV: Yes

Program information: Yes

Total days of programming: 14 (11 days ahead, 3 days back)

Item length: 14 inches

Item width: 17 inches

Item height: 3.5 inches

Item weight: 12 pounds

Warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor

·
Registered
192 Posts
Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com Product Description

The RTV5504 personal video recorder, or PVR, delivers the ability to pause and replay live TV while recording and storing 40 hours of digital, tapeless audio and video--about a season's worth of memory for four hour-long programs. Enjoy a broadband or phone-line connection to the ReplayTV service and convenient home networking through a built-in Ethernet port--there's no extra hardware required and no service fees of any kind for the first three years. (After three years you pay a nominal $0.99/month ReplayTV Service fee in 1-, 2-, or 3- year increments.)

With the RTV5504 and the other models in the 5500 Series, ReplayTV has made major revisions, enhancing its feature base while removing certain contentious features found on previous models. ReplayTV's 5.0 software adds four powerful features: recording priority, which identifies recording conflicts and lets you decide which shows to record; network recording, which identifies conflicts and automatically assigns recordings to a home-networked ReplayTV with available hard-disk storage; pause and resume, which lets you pause a movie in the living room and finish watching it in the bedroom; and First-Run Recordings, which records only the new episodes and skips the repeats.

A PVR makes it simple to record favorite shows without the complicated programming requirements of VCRs and without videotape hassles. A PVR frees you from fixed TV schedules so you can watch what you want, when you want. Because ReplayTV uses digital recording to store television and/or cable broadcasts on a hard drive as you're watching, you'll also be able to control live television. You can pause live TV to take a telephone call, rewind to see a scene again, use instant replay to jump back seven seconds, or watch a scene in slow-motion.

ReplayTV connects nightly to the ReplayTV Service to download the latest channel-guide information. Use this intuitive guide and the main system menu to follow simple--and in many cases, one-button--prompts. A feature called theme record automatically records shows using keywords or themes that you supply. You can also search for programs by keyword, helping to discover programs you might not have known about otherwise. If you forget to program your receiver to record a show before you leave for vacation, no worries: you can access your ReplayTV over the Web and program it from anywhere using MyReplayTV.

With multiple ReplayTV 5500-series models in a home connected via their built-in Ethernet ports, you can bounce programs around the house to different PVRs or to send digital photos between your PC and your ReplayTV units. And, like the 5000 Series, the 5500 Series still offers the option for broadband connectivity, which at this time consists of the future potential (via upgradeable firmware) to send non-copyrighted material across the Internet to other ReplayTV units and, possibly, to computers. The 5500 Series units network seamlessly with 5000 Series units.

And while ReplayTV has removed the Send Show and Automatic Commercial Advance features, the 5500 Series retains the QuickSkip and high-speed fast-forward buttons, so you'll still have considerable flexibility in your playback viewing. At the touch of a button, QuickSkip hops through a recorded program in 30-second increments--great for news features you don't care to watch and, yes, for bypassing the less interesting commercials out there. The fast-forward button scans at up to 20 times normal speed.

Other features include room-to-room streaming between networked ReplayTVs, a progressive-scan output (for seamless, flicker-free displays on high-definition and HD-ready TVs), an optical digital-audio output (for direct connection with a compatible AV receiver), parental control (including channel blocking), show organizer, manual record, show extender (which lets you manually extend the start or end times of a recording).

·
Registered
230 Posts
So, for those who know the difference between a 5000 and a 5500, would ANYONE choose to buy a 5500? Is there any advantage?

·
Registered
971 Posts
OK, you dragged it out of me. Here are the new features:

1. NDA NDANDA NDA NDANDANDA NDANDA NDA NDANDA NDANDA NDA NDANDANDA NDANDA NDA NDANDA NDANDA NDA NDANDANDA NDANDA NDA NDA.

2. NDA NDANDA NDA NDANDANDA NDANDA NDA NDA NDANDA NDA NDANDANDA NDANDA NDA NDA.

3. NDA NDANDA NDA NDANDANDA NDANDA NDA NDA.

4. NDA NDANDA NDA NDANDANDA.

Note that this is not a complete list.

(What a stupid-ass question!)

·
Registered
983 Posts
@nobbie

plz stop crying about the "three years of service"...it's getting old. in 3 years, ur gonna want a new PVR anyway, trust me. if not, then no more than 5 years total, which amounts to an extra $24 for years 2007 and 2008.

by that time, ur gonna need/want an HD PVR and all ur complaining about the "three years" will be mute.

DNNA has implemented the 3 Year Plan as a CYA policy in case they drop the ReplayTV line...that way, when they have people saying "well, i paid for a lifetime and they're not supporting it anymore!", they can point back to the original 3 yr agreement instead of looking like "bad guys" for not offering lifetime support.

sturmie

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by icecow
If anyone thinks this is a dirty question then I think this forum is ready to elect a priest to enforce the faith.
How 'bout a protestant pastor? Oh wait... not someone from one of the major faiths, you need a high priest for Replay. :eek:

It was pretty funny when 110 beta was over and people who had been in made minor comments about it coming out soon. Then the bishops of Replay came out and trounced on them.

Taking an NDA too Far

I can tell you from what I understand the next build could lead to peace, love, and unity among PVR's.

I dream of a day when Tivo's and Replay's, Snapstreams, and Creative Digital VCR's rest side by side, wrapped together by network cables and usb ports together in the same home.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sturmie
@nobbie

plz stop crying about the "three years of service"...it's getting old. in 3 years, ur gonna want a new PVR anyway, trust me. if not, then no more than 5 years total, which amounts to an extra $24 for years 2007 and 2008.

by that time, ur gonna need/want an HD PVR and all ur complaining about the "three years" will be mute.

DNNA has implemented the 3 Year Plan as a CYA policy in case they drop the ReplayTV line...that way, when they have people saying "well, i paid for a lifetime and they're not supporting it anymore!", they can point back to the original 3 yr agreement instead of looking like "bad guys" for not offering lifetime support.

sturmie
Hey Dad,

You forgot about the hundreds of thousands of people out there with ReplayTV's and Showstoppers with lifetime service. Unless all these machines were designed to self-destruct in 2006, I think the company would have a lot trouble discontinuing service. Regardless, it doesn't affect me. I still have two Showstoppers for incidental shows and games. (Which are going strong and I'll never give up.) And now the 5040 for movies and archival purposes.

Cheers!:D

Nobbie

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I gotta flag you, Cow, on this one. (somehow I think this is what you wanted anyway, so I'll bite).

You could have either registered for the beta, or even privately emailed or PM'd one of the many users here who, by virtue of their comments, is an obvious beta tester. This too would have been wrong, but perhaps not so egregiously as to deserve the public flogging I hereby commence.

Bobcrane... I don't think taking an NDA to mean what is says is "taking an NDA too far."

What the heck is wrong with you people? Just because we like to play with computers doesn't mean we have to behave like a bunch of outlaws. I won't even get into the utilitarian justifications for adhereing to the NDA and not tempting others to violate it (like... if you ever want DNNA to offer beta testing to AVS members again....).

It should be enough to expect every member here to act as a person of honor and integrity.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Cow, you are just incredibly irritating. I'd use this forum more if you weren't so prolific in posting your drivel.

If you wanted to know what the new features are, you should have signed up for the beta. You had your opportunity and you chose not to take it. Besides, who cares what the features are until you can actually make use of them? What's the point?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Quote:
I've got to disagree with you here. Just because you may need something new and have to stay up on the latest and greatest does not mean that myself or anyone else does as well. I'm perfectly happy without an HDTV, despite my desire to obtain one. I don't classify it as a "need", but rather a want. Big difference. While it would be nice to have new stuff all the time, it's just not the case for a lot of people.

Quote:
I don't classify it as a need, but rather a want. Big difference. A need is something you can't live without, like oxygen or water or beer. A want is something you desire, but won't kill you to be without, like a cheeseburger or french fries. (I'm talking about the specific items, not food in general.) While it would be nice to have new stuff all the time, it's just not the case for a lot of people to be able to afford/justify new purchases frequently. I may want an HD PVR, but I don't need one, and I don't want to be forced into buying one when they want me to. I'd like to get it on my own terms, like when prices get so low that I can't resist even though my fiancés going to kill me for not at least discussing such a high cost purchase with her before I bought it because we're saving for a wedding, even though she liked the Replay we already had and now likes the newer one, too.

(And for the record, it's moot meaning obsolete, not mute which refers to speech and grammar.

Quote:

sturmie
This doesn't make much sense. If they drop the RTV line after 3 years, they're only protecting themselves from owners of the newer 5500 units and above. Even the 5000s that they're closing out on are getting lifetime service. This means they'd still be susceptible to lawsuits from the owners of the older hardware. (Whether or not the suits have an merit is beside the point at the moment.)

One thing I am glad DNNA is doing, though, is making it clear that the included service with the 55xxs is for 3 years and not lifetime. They are doing a pretty good job about making sure it's known that it's no longer lifetime for the newer units.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Perhaps I misread or do not know "the mysterious cow" too well. I assumed the original post was tongue in cheek. Who would expect a member of the beta (or someone they talked to in the strictest of confidence) to poop on it for everyone else by jabbering about features.

On taking the NDA too far: Doing contract work for 7 years I've signed my fair share of non-disclosures. These babies are put together by lawyers who like everything locked tighter than Fort Knox. They should always be respected and honored.

However, there are many different interpretations of honoring that agreement. One person after the 110 beta (but before it was released to general public) mentioned they had been in the beta. Led to a big debate about NDA and and whether someone could even mention they had signed an NDA saying they couldn't say they'd signed an NDA or something of that nature.

At any rate, the whole thing seemed to me like jumping down a guys throat for doing 70 in a 65. Was the guy doing 70 breaking the agreement he has with his state? Yes. But not to the point where most people would accuse him of not honoring the law.

Again, just one more opinion. By the letter of the law I am dead wrong. The good news is I can live with that.

And no, I have not ever shared the details of NDA's for clients with anybody.

·
Registered
983 Posts
@jeffwa

moot--dammit! i read the m-w.com definition wrong...sh*tty thing is i actually looked up both words, but didn't see the word "obsolete" in the moot definition. oh well, u win some, u luse some :).

anyway, ur want will become need as soon as we watch a Bills or Buckeyes game in HD...i watch shows in HD all the time that i don't even like...hehe....while my RTV records the shows i'm actually interested in.

sturmie

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
You know, cowster, this just goes to show that there's a vast concerted effort to keep this information secret from you. In fact, at our last meeting, we agreed that you should be the last to know.

Normally, these questions get answered through friends: You got a friend, or a friend of a friend, who's beta testing and even though they signed an NDA, maybe they'll whisper a few sweet nothings to you on the QT.

But, since you ain't got any friends, no one's gonna tell you.

And the rest of us are going to have a darn good laugh behind your back!

;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
All I want to know is when is it going public. I would like to add a second unit and i cant decide between adding another 45XX to my existing 4504 or getting two 5xxx models. My 4504 is rock solid so I am waiting to see if the new software fixes all of the problems (and hoping that new feature is as cool as ReplayRichard's mom says it is).

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ozzieman
All I want to know is when is it going public. I would like to add a second unit and i cant decide between adding another 45XX to my existing 4504 or getting two 5xxx models. My 4504 is rock solid so I am waiting to see if the new software fixes all of the problems (and hoping that new feature is as cool as ReplayRichard's mom says it is).
Better not wait too long if you want a 5xxx and not a 55xx. Looks like the 5xxx's are disappearing pretty quickly now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't know if I can tell you this legally or not but one of the new features changes the "Skip Commercial" selection to "Skip to my lou".

I can only imagine they are trying to trick the new 55xx users into not selecting this. This way they won't skip commercials for fear they will be forced to "skip to my lou" while watching South Park.

If it's illegal they will probably delete it fairly quickly so please read it fast.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirk Out
I don't know if I can tell you this legally or not but one of the new features changes the "Skip Commercial" selection to "Skip to my lou".
Anyone seen Gong Show?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.