AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys .... is there a chart or anything that can kind of give me an idea of how bad my electricity bill is going to pwn me now that I have a 1000w PSU on my new rig? Kind of a stupid question but my boy got me concerned about how this beast is going to rape my con ed bill.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool ... thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Just because your PC has a 1000w PSU, does not mean that it is drawing 1000w at all times. In fact, I'd be shocked if it ever got even close to that figure for more than a split second. That 1000w figure is only a rough ceiling to the power that your PC can draw.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
yes, the PSU will only draw what the components in your system demand (plus ~20% waste for the AC-DC conversion).

The higher-wattage PSUs of today are pretty efficient, though (80%+), so it may in fact draw less under normal circumstances than even a 350W PSU from a few years ago.

That is unless you have a tri-SLI system or something...that's gonna use a lot of power.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
a refrigerator isn't consistent, though. It only draws power when the compressor is running, and a marginal amount when it isn't. Of course when the compressor is running, the usage is quite substantial.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well its good to know these new PSUs are more effecient. I have the Cosair 1000w PSU. No Tri SLI ... just a 4870x2.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
well, a 4870x2 is going to draw plenty of power.

Just know that regardless of the output capability (be it 600W or 1200W), you are only using what the individual components are asking for, plus ~20% for AC-DC conversion).

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've got an APC 1500va UPS with a digital display. With an Athlon x2 6400+ (125w model) an nVidia GTX260, 2 SATA II drives, 2 optical drives, 7 fans, 4 x1gb PC2-6400 RAM my PC only draws about 230 watts at peak. And that's the load at the battery outlets, so it also includes my wireless router, cable modem (about 4 watts for both of them) and my HP w2207 22" LCD monitor.

If the PSU is the only thing you've changed, you're not going to see an increase in your electric bill. In fact, if the old PSU was in fact an older one, you might see a VERY SLIGHT decrease in your bill due to the increased effcciency of the new one.

I'm using a Corsair 750w single rail PSU for what its worth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts