AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I woke up my HTPC from hibernation and immediately heard this rather loud fan noise. After the PC was fully up, I recycled power. The noise was gone, but when I ran "Hardware Doctor," a utility that came with my ABIT NF7-S motherboard, it showed the PSU fan was off. Thing is, I can't remember whether the PSU fan is usually off when the PC first starts and comes up later (I usually checked the CPU stats only), when it warms up, or whether it is supposed to be on all the time. This PSU is one of these ultra-quiet ones that came with this ATC-613B case .

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I've never heard of a PSU with a fan that doesn't run all the time. A PSU fan will run one speed or vary according to the temperature. Replacing the PSU fan is easy but can be dangerous and voids a warranty. A quick fix is to attach a case fan to the outside of your PSU, to either push air through it or pull air from it.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Definitely check with the place you purchased it from to see if they will take care of it under warranty, if not, it is pretty painless to change it.

Jim

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 1Time
I've never heard of a PSU with a fan that doesn't run all the time. ....
Mine doesn't... but starts after a couple of minutes - temp. dependent

It's a Seasonic 350W, modded with a Papst 80mm fan.

_____

Axel

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
One other thing, did you plug the fan monitor from your PS in to the connector on the MB, assuming it exists?

Iknow this seems like an obvious one, but it never hurts to check the obvious first.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
One other thing, did you plug the fan monitor from your PS in to the connector on the MB, assuming it exists?

Iknow this seems like an obvious one, but it never hurts to check the obvious first.
I don't remember doing so, so probably not. Thing is, I don't want to pull the HTPC out of my entertainment center (quite the ordeal to put it in), so I will continue to monitor. The PSU didn't seem hot to the touch (I snuck my hand to the back of the PC) and there did seem to be air flowing out of it, so I think the fan is alive. Ran it for 3 hours straight last night, monitoring temps with the software utility, and everything seemed okay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.