AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't see a dedicated thread to this. This has been one of my favorite shows since it first started airing. Now that it is being shown in HD it has the looks to go along with the programming. To me the two main characters are the best "duo" on TV today. Their conversations are hilarious and Gus is the perfect straight man for the antics of Shawn. This bit of conversation from last night struck me as funny:

Shawn: I spent a month in an airport terminal.

Gus : That was Tom Hanks.

Shawn: Same thing.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4934 /forum/post/13009500

Didn't see a dedicated thread to this. This has been one of my favorite shows since it first started airing. Now that it is being shown in HD it has the looks to go along with the programming. To me the two main characters are the best "duo" on TV today. Their conversations are hilarious and Gus is the perfect straight man for the antics of Shawn. This bit of conversation from last night struck me as funny:

Shawn: I spent a month in an airport terminal.

Gus : That was Tom Hanks.

Shawn: Same thing.

Agreed. Great show. Psych comments are scattered in other threads like this one . It could probably stand a thread of its own.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Of course, it might be nice if the spelling of "Psych" was corrected in the thread title so people could find it....

At any rate, I agree. The show is excellent. I was a bit unsure how well it would go over when I first started watching, but the show has proven it can sustain itself. I'm not usually one to find slacker characters entertaining. I guess it makes a difference that Shawn is portrayed as a smart guy that just doesn't want to work hard, rather than someone who is both stupid and lazy.

I really enjoy all the obscure movie and TV references and the fact that they almost wink at the idea that it's actually a TV show.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I stumbled onto this show once USA HD came to Comcast in my area. I wasn't sure at first but it has definitely grown on me. I particularly enjoy "Shawn's" one-liners, he's got great comedic timing!

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephmckinney /forum/post/13011688

I stumbled onto this show once USA HD came to Comcast in my area. I wasn't sure at first but it has definitely grown on me. I particularly enjoy "Shawn's" one-liners, he's got great comedic timing!

Shawn is one of those "like him or hate him" characters because of the over the top antics. I'm in the like him camp for that very same reason.

I really like the scenes of Shawn and Gus as kids (not the cartoon version) interacting with Shawn's dad, showing how some early experiences turned him into who he is today.

Though I've been watching this since season one, the HD is certainly an added bonus.

One OT thing though: hard to see "Lassie" as the evil mayor on Jericho!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
The first couple were good, then all the rest of the shows have been like repeats with a few different twists. I still enjoy the show for the comedical content, but overall, I can take it or leave it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I enjoy psych thoroughly. I think the tandem of the two main characters show some of the best comedic chemistry ive seen in a long time.

Plus it's not one of those shows that knocks you over the head with a lot of sight gags or anything like that. I like it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Great show and I DVR it just to make sure I get it against two other shows playing at the same time, all in HD.

(Las Vegas on NBCHD, Stargate Atlantis on Sci-FiHD are all on at the same time so I timeshift Sci-Fi.)

Only problem I have with this show is I have TWC and unless you have Comcast (in some areas) or DirectvHD, you get it lousy analogue which is like watching their antics through a dirty window...same for the Sci-FiHD show.

(Imagine getting these two guys from "Psych" on Stargate Atlantis...funny.)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I too love this show. It is pure comedic genius. As they play off on another perfectly. Just wish USA released the first season on HDDVD.

·
Registered
352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV /forum/post/13010114

I really enjoy all the obscure movie and TV references and the fact that they almost wink at the idea that it's actually a TV show.

Don't forget the old video game references, I loved the Battlezone mention earlier this season where Gus said Shawn was afraid of a little competition. I frequently have to stop to explain the references to my wife, who apparently did something other than watch TV and play video games when she was growing up. Now if only USA would show the earlier episodes of this season in HD...

·
Registered
367 Posts
who doesn't love some battlezone. This fashion model episode from friday was classic, plus the setting henry up.

"How is it that I am the only sane person in the universe right now?" -Shawn.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I like the really obscure references. Like "Head over Heels." I mean, who watched that movie (except for me).

Or even older episodes mentioning the game Dig Dug or the show "It's Your Move." Ridiculous!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts