AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say I have a 42" plasma and view it at 8 feet.

Let's say I have a 84" plasma and view it at 16 feet.

Is there any difference in "wow" effect? If yes: Is it more because of psychological reasons or are there scientific physical/biological/whatever reasons, too?

Or in other words: Does it make sense to shell out big cache to buy a monster big display when then having to move the sofa back? Or does it make more sense to buy a smaller display and move the sofa nearer to the screen to save money while getting the same effect?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
well if you necessarily need an 84" plasma then you'll make all the proper adjustments to the room accordingly. Yes in the hd era, bigger is better but 42" is plenty big enough. As far as viewing distance, if your face is in the screen sde will be more apparent., if you view from a normal viewing distance then you'll be ok.

·
Registered
46 Posts
An 84 " display is more than 2 times as big because of the way the inches are measured. the bigger the screen the bigger each inch will be. I read in an ad for a 70" or or somewhere around there that you could fit 4 42" screens in the same space.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Number of pixels and pixel pitch would also have to be factored in. An additional consideration would be the number of people who can simultaneously be "wowed". Also, you have greater opportunity to improve the audio experience with more space.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
The closer to the screen you are, the more flaws in the picture you see and the more fatigue can set in. Additionally, you want to be able to see the whole picture without moving your head like at a tennis match.

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkkds
An 84 " display is more than 2 times as big because of the way the inches are measured. the bigger the screen the bigger each inch will be. I read in an ad for a 70" or or somewhere around there that you could fit 4 42" screens in the same space.
That's right. 84" has 4 times the screen area of a 42". However, if you double the viewing distance, you also lose 4 times the screen area/viewing angle again. So my comparison should be correct, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepinton
Number of pixels and pixel pitch would also have to be factored in. An additional consideration would be the number of people who can simultaneously be "wowed". Also, you have greater opportunity to improve the audio experience with more space.
Good post. Let's forget about audio and the number of people. And let's say the 84" has the same resolution as the 42".

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb
What's wrong with 84" at 8'?
Nothing, if you like that viewing distance. My question is: Is there a difference in wow effect/immersion/view quality/whatever between watching a 84" from 8 feet and watching a 42" from 4 feet?

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Red
The closer to the screen you are, the more flaws in the picture you see and the more fatigue can set in. Additionally, you want to be able to see the whole picture without moving your head like at a tennis match.
True, but you're missing my point. This is not one of those "how far should I get from my 50" plasma" threads. Could you please reread my question and try to understand why I mean? If I've not explained it well enough, please let me know, then I'll try to make it clearer. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi

Is there any difference in "wow" effect? If yes: Is it more because of psychological reasons or are there scientific physical/biological/whatever reasons, too?

Or in other words: Does it make sense to shell out big cache to buy a monster big display when then having to move the sofa back? Or does it make more sense to buy a smaller display and move the sofa nearer to the screen to save money while getting the same effect?
Yes, there would be a difference in the "wow" effect, probably due to how the eyes perceive space and depth.

Let's take your analogy further.

21" LCD at 4 feet.

10.5" LCD at 2 feet.

Watch a 10.5" portable DVD screen at 2 feet, then a 42" plasma at 8 feet.

Night and day difference.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkkds
An 84" display would be 4 times as big as a 42" display, however (due to the inverse square rule, if you're familiar with physics) being twice as far away would result in the same viewing angles (wow factor). So the effect should be the same, assuming his eyesight is not a factor.

That being said, I don't know who makes an 84" plasma.

:D

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have a 1.5" headmounted LCD, a 17" LCD (used at 6') and a projector with a 10' image (used at 14'). I am 'wowed' by all of them, for different reasons. The headmounted LCD is sharp and clear without glasses (I am nearsighted) but it is disorienting to have the screen move with head movements. The 17" LCD is bright and sharp for casual watching, but the change in viewing angle is bothersome with normal activities, and viewing angle isn't good for more than two people. With the projector, viewing angle is great for several people or activities anywhere in the room, but too dim for daytime viewing. Good sound is definitely a part of the 'wow' experience - the speakers on smaller TV's just can't produce it. I use my home stereo system for ALL audio.

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock65
Yes, there would be a difference in the "wow" effect, probably due to how the eyes perceive space and depth.
That's exactly what I'm interested in! So 1:0 vor "bigger is better".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchester
So the effect should be the same, assuming his eyesight is not a factor.
So you vote for "same". Current voting: 1:1.

Any more votes anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donrussell
it is disorienting to have the screen move with head movements
You're quite right. That's a real problem with such small displays. But it shouldn't be a problem with 42"+. So what is your vote for my original question (42"+ vs. 84") and why?

·
Registered
671 Posts
I think you should just go to the showroom and look at the different size sets there at various distances. That should give your eyeballs the answer you're looking for. Personally I find sitting back further can give the screen image more of a graphic value (forest vs trees), but it varies with the content.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yes, Madshi there is a bigger Wow-Effect with twice the screen diagonal at twice the difference. I do not know why, but it defies the obvious math which says it should be the same.

I think it is a matter of not being able to fool yourself by simply sitting closer to a smaller set. If the setting where to change, then maybe.

Try to compare looking at an 84" at the end of your room versus looking at a 42" half as far away AND inside a cutaway doll house modelled to look like your room scaled down by a factor of two or even three. Then maybe you could get a Wow-Effect before they take you away...

There are many optical illusions for altered perspective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzo_illusion

·
Registered
46 Posts
Quote:
That's right. 84" has 4 times the screen area of a 42". However, if you double the viewing distance, you also lose 4 times the screen area/viewing angle again. So my comparison should be correct, I think.
Good point, i forgot to take that into acount. :eek:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Then there's the potential (as some have reported here from sitting too close to a large screen) for motion sickness. No foolin'

So, where do you sit in the theater? I personally like about two-thirds of the way back, just a little above center. But there are folks who are way up front, as well as other who immediatedly go as far back as they can get.

Bottom line: Disregard all the math. YOU decide what pleases your eyes most.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I beleive the WOW factor has as much to do with the surrounding visual cues as with the picture. If you are in a pitch-dark room, the screen-size/viewing distance relationship may be relatively constant (provided image distortions are eliminated). But we usually can see other items in our viewing environment, such as doors, shelves, furniture, artwork etc, which bring our perception back to reality, and prevent a 42" screen from looking like an 84" regardless of viewing distance. Consider those stereoscopic virtual reality goggles that were a hit with gamers a while back; a two-inch screen less than 2 inches away from your eyes and yet totally immersive, only because the goggles eliminated any peripheral non-content visual cues.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Quote:

I would say, get the 84" plasma, but sit 8 feet away for the biggest wow factor.

:eek:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Here's one theory for why the experience might be different... different focal lengths. When you watch your 42" at 8', your eyes are adjusted to focus at 8'. If you turn your head to watch your 84" at 16', your eyes refocus. Two things change: the focus of each eyeball, and the parallax adjustment, or the relative angle of the eyelines.

The brain uses those two adjustments to get a sense of distance, and thus size. I'm guessing that means the 84" will seem bigger despite the fact it occupies the same arc, because our brain knows it's way bigger. Complicating that, though, is that we're not looking at a static image, but a dynamic picture that does its best to convince us it has great depth... so I'm not sure how much subjective difference there would be once you're involved in viewing.

I'm no ophthalmologist, but intuitively it seems to me the eyes adjust proportionally more to changes at near distance; i.e. they adjust more for a shift from 1' to 2' than from 9' to 10'. So the difference between 8 and 16' may not be that dramatic.

Just random thoughts... thanks for the interesting thread!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.