AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know ...we always dedicate a thread to good games around here...and I feel this game is getting slept on....Hell I just got it myself.

and all im trying to say is man...im blown away how good this game is...this thing should rake in awards...why MS dropped exclusivity on this one I don't know...cause it was a HUGE mistake.

This is the most creative, most imaginative game I've played on a long time....and its just fun playing it. The worlds in this game are amazing. this thing looks so good on a HDTV with the intense color palette it uses its not even funny.(In side edgars head??? OMG ..no spoilers...but you will see what im talking about when you get there.

And the gameplay rocks...always trying something different..and they all blend together well surprisingly.

The characters are witty and extremely likable. This game is funny without being too corny.

Psychonauts gets top scores from me...I can't say enough about it. Don't sleep on this game. Platformer of the year?? without a doubt. And I don't even like platformers that much. Game of the year??? definitely good enough for that too IMOP.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraiser
why MS dropped exclusivity on this one I don't know...cause it was a HUGE mistake.
Probably because of the fact that they anticipated it wouldn't sell very well, which it hasn't(on either system)

However, I agree, this game is definitely an excellent title that a very unique style and solid gameplay. It is too bad its not getting more recognition than it has. Another Beyond Good and Evil I guess...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to guess it hasn't sold very well because it hasn't been marketed very well...

nobody really knows about this game...and thats a sign that the marketing team has failed...or never even tried to begin with....the budget for marketing this prob is none existant...and thats just dumb..cause this game could be a money maker...

and unfortunately word of mouth donesn't work to well on these "different" type of games...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
From GAF

Quote:
project length: 4.5 years

lines of code game: 166,781 in 381 files in C++, Game Script: 332,650 in 2,433 files in LUA

lines of code tools: 81,260 lines in 445 files in C++/C#, 11,318 lines in 51 files in Python.

peak team size: 42 full time, 5 contractors

hardware used: xbox devkit, dual xeon 2.66 GHz, 1 GB RAM, Nvidia 6800 GT

software used: maya, photoshop, premiere, lua, python, emacs, visual slickedit, XACT, perforce, visual studio .net, monimoni wiki, bugzilla, bink, xbox XDK
And it costed $11.8 to make. Sucks to be them.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraiser
I'm going to guess it hasn't sold very well because it hasn't been marketed very well...

nobody really knows about this game...and thats a sign that the marketing team has failed...or never even tried to begin with....the budget for marketing this prob is none existant...and thats just dumb..cause this game could be a money maker...

and unfortunately word of mouth donesn't work to well on these "different" type of games...

I'm sure marketing is part of the issue. However, the budget for marketing is fairly slim with it being a brand new game with no licenses or name recognition. Let's face it, the game is a platforming game, which are games that typically don't do well on XBOX.

Releasing on PS2 was definitely a good decision, but chances are Psychonauts is falling victim as a lot of games before it have, that it got lost in the shuffle with so many other similar games available on the PS2. The PS2s big platformers are Jak, Ratchet and Clank, and Sly Cooper. While Psychonauts deserves to be up there with them, again, those other games are coming out with their 4th installment and are fairly well known, which means its an uphill battle for Psychonauts.

I am curious why it didn't come out on the GC though. Seems like GC and the PS2 contain most of the target audience Psychonauts is aiming at.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yep, psychonauts is definately a cool game. But bad timing and no publicity definately plague it. Perhaps there should have held it and worried about making a X360 title.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
The platformer genre is in a bit of a lull. Look at Ratchet and Clank and Jak, by far the most popular platformers this generation and you see they are leaning more heavily on direct action as the series go on.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Another supporter of the game here! Great game.

I saw one commercial and then read some great reviews so I bought it. A ton of fun.

One problem. About a week after I bought Psychonauts I got Xbox Live hooked up...Now I can't stop playing Halp 2 on Live. Sorry Psychonauts, you'll just have to stay on the shelf for a little while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.