AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New headset in the works!

Quote:
A promising 5.1 headset with a unique, albeit unorthodox, design.

by Scott Lowe

January 5, 2009 - Just when we thought we had seen it all when it comes to gaming headphones5.1 surround sound, active onboard preamps, dedicated control systems, etc.a company comes along with a design that innovates rather than replicates. As is usually the case for most new and interesting electronics, the latest innovation in gaming tech is coming out of the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. Unveiled as part of the usual pre-show press release blitzkrieg, the Psyko Audio Labs 5.1 Gaming Headphones for PC were given this year's CES Innovations Design and Engineering Award, which recognizes the most groundbreaking products appearing at the show.

What makes the Psyko Audio Labs 5.1 PC Gaming Headphones so special? Well, if you were to pick up a pair, you would quickly realize that the surround channel drivers are nowhere to be found. That is, of course, because the Psyko Audio Labs 5.1 headphones' center, front left, front right, rear left, and rear right drivers are all built into the headband. Unlike anything we've encountered before, the Psyko 5.1 Gaming Headphones utilize physical channels built into the frame to guide the directional audio from the headband drivers to carefully placed areas of the ear cup. The benefit of having the drivers outside of the ear cup, as Psyko puts it, is to "give users natural, not simulated, surround sound."

Additionally, Psyko claims that the Psyko 5.1 headphones do not require any additional channel calibration beyond the default setup. The physical sound guides, appropriately titled PsykoWaves, are designed to position, level, and distance the surround channels to the optimum levels. While the theory certainly seems simple enough for directional audio, Psyko were clever enough to keep the subwoofer drivers inside the ear cups for better bass response. Although the Psyko's primary marketing point is the out-of-box perfection promised by its unique design, the system will also come with a dedicated 5.1 amplifier with bass and volume controls. Little is known about the amplifier as it stands, however, it will serve as the connection hub with three 3.5mm (1/8") plugs for 5.1 PC connections for front, rear, and center/subwoofer connections, and one 3.5mm (1/8") microphone jack.

In addition to the PsykoWave Guide design, the Psyko 5.1 PC Gaming Headphones have another unique feature that set them apart from other products we've seen recently; ear cup vents. Users can choose between comfort and privacy with the Psyko 5.1 PC Gaming Headphone's pivoting ear cup vents, which maximize ear flow for prolonged gaming sessions at the expense of sound-proofing.

The Pysko 5.1 PC Gaming Headphones will be making their debut at CES 2009, and will be hitting stores later this year for $299.99.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Looks cool, but I don't know how you could hook this up to a PS3. And, I don't think my Onkyo has the means to drive 3 1/8" plugs, either, let alone the mic jack.

Is there something I'm missing?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee /forum/post/15472170

Looks cool, but I don't know how you could hook this up to a PS3. And, I don't think my Onkyo has the means to drive 3 1/8" plugs, either, let alone the mic jack.

Is there something I'm missing?

All your Onkyo system would need to do is deliver the audio to the Headphones dedicated 5.1 Amp. (toslink maybe) They didnt bother to show pics of it or list the specs. But from what I gather you are going to HAVE to HAVE it in order for the headphones to work. Personally I'll take my money and spend it on other things. A GOOD set of 2ch headphones will give you an excellent sound stage that will allow you to tell what direction the sound is coming from. But to each his own.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
These made me puke a little in my mouth.

They'll be giving Bose a run for their money on marketing vs. quality.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
What? You don't have ears on the top of your head?

Weirdo.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm not buying nice headphones again until they make some with cat-proof cables. My poor poor ax360s

and why no spdif connection? they don't mention one, so I don't think these would be great for ps3 unless you like using 5.1 headphones for stereo only.

·
Banned
2,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/15472429

These made me puke a little in my mouth.

They'll be giving Bose a run for their money on marketing vs. quality.

All I could think when looking at that picture is "those are so XTREME!!" LOL. And then the name Psyko just takes the cake. Brilliant. Speakers on the top of my head? Why - just why?

Psyko, Bose and Monster should all get together and have some sort of overpriced mediocrity party.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Why!? Honestly who is buying crap like this? Seriously if you're going to dump $250+ into a pair of cans then BUY GOOD CANS! (Estimate based on similar snake oil products like these I've seen in the past) For the amount of money you'd spend on something like this you could buy a very nice pair Sennheiser, Grado, AKG, or Ultrasone headphones. I paid $240 for a pair of Ultrasone Proline 750s; they sound absolutely phenomenal and the driver placement and open soundstage make it pretty easy to figure out what direction a sound is coming from. I don't need any fancy headphone receivers that input optical and output three freaking 1/8" cables either.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtChurch /forum/post/15474290

Why!? Honestly who is buying crap like this? Seriously if you're going to dump $250+ into a pair of cans then BUY GOOD CANS! (Estimate based on similar snake oil products like these I've seen in the past) For the amount of money you'd spend on something like this you could buy a very nice pair Sennheiser, Grado, AKG, or Ultrasone headphones. I paid $240 for a pair of Ultrasone Proline 750s; they sound absolutely phenomenal and the driver placement and open soundstage make it pretty easy to figure out what direction a sound is coming from. I don't need any fancy headphone receivers that input optical and output three freaking 1/8" cables either.

Who.. The same folks who buy Bose, and Dr Dre's Beats by Monster. Thats who. I too use my Ultrasone Pro 750's for gaming, they do have a very good sound stage for gaming. And pretty good for music too.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkit /forum/post/15473325

I'm not buying nice headphones again until they make some with cat-proof cables. My poor poor ax360s

AKG K240S have user replaceable cables, as do many other hifi headphones. Sure it's not cat proof but is a good alternative.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts