AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are redoing our family room and because of some strangeness in the layout, the shelving/cabinet where the TV will be located can be only 16" deep. We had been planning to use a Panasonic PT-40LC12 there because it was the only reasonably priced alternative that would fit in a space that shallow. Now Gateway has come out with a $2,999 Plasma, and we're considering it. In many ways, a plasma will solve a lot of problems. Note that a Panasonic plasma is probably out of our budget. We know how much nicer the Panny is (as we already have one in our bedroom). This set will be primarily be used by my kids. Here, were it not for the problems with the cabinet, we would be buying a Sony Wega CRT set at 1/3 the price of either of these. They will mostly be watching NTSC, although we do have a ReplayTV that does 4:3 progressive scan. So what should we do, stick with our original plan or go with the Gateway?

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Gateway got pretty bad reviews but I saw it mounted in a gateway country store on the wall and it looked pretty good.I passed on buying it and am waiting on the next generation of plasma from panny that I hope will have a tuner and speakers like the gateway.Their are just too many people giving great reviews to a panny set not to go in that direction.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FWIW, the PT-40LC12 is NOT a plasma set, but a LCD based rear projector.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I don't like the 40LC12, but for the kids, I think it is the best choice. I don't know how old they are, but most kids may not be trusted with a plasma.

I think the Gateway is overall a better choice in most circumstances, but perhaps not this one.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
I don't know how old they are, but most kids may not be trusted with a plasma.
Because of burn-in or something else?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I bought the panny 40" lcd rptv for day to day use...put the plasma in the theater only room. The pq of the plasma kills the panny! But, the lcd rptv is perfect for the kids...no burn-in issues and it works great for console gaming.

Regards,

Ricky

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Yes, because of burn-in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was considering the Panasonic PT-40LC12 LCD as well because of burn-in, but I read that the projection bulb had to be replaced about every 3,000 hours and the bulb costs $300. The 3,000 hours translates into about 8 hours of viewing a day for a year. So I figured that in about 2 years of viewing, I would be up to the price of the Panasonic TH-42PWD5UY plasma.

Doing the "back of the envelope math"- assuming the TH-42PWD5UY plasma has a lifespan of 30,000 hours (or 10 years) based on Panasonic's claim, over the same amount of time I would have to do 10 bulb changes for the PT-40LC12 LCD for an additional cost of $3,000. Of course this assumes I keep either tv for 10 years, that bulb prices remain at $300, and no present value discounting for the finance types. :D

I don't know about you but I can do without the extra hassle of buying and changing bulbs. :) Instead, I'm wrestling with choosing between the Panasonic D5UY and the Sony Grand Wega 50".

BTW, lucky kids to be having such problems as choosing between plasma and LCD.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I honestly dont think ill have my panny 40" lcd rptv for more than 3-5 years. Technology just changes too rapidly now and by then this tv will be way outclassed by whatever is available at that time. I dont mind having to make a bulb change once.

Regards,

Ricky

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.