AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a similar setup? Panasonic PT-42PD3-P with RCA DTC100 & Mediacenter or HTPC. I have been studying for weeks, my brain hurts. I am open to any suggestions for a display with this setup. Please help.

·
Registered
491 Posts
spc - What's the question? How is it hooked up?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Welcome aboard spc...I have a HTPC hooked up to my Panny via the VGA port. I have a MyHD card installed in the HTPC and the PQ is absolutely stunning. Do you have any other specific questions?

·
Registered
491 Posts
The 42 EDTV Panny (5uz - consumer) with a ATI 8500 128MB video card/MyHD combo hooked up via vga....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a RCA DTC100 HD DTV box which uses a 15 pin VGA plug & also a mediacenter pc. I don't know weather to use the panney vga plug for the dtc100 or the pc. I can buy BNC type connectors for the dtc100 which I think the PT-42PD3-P accepts & hope would work. Just don't know what the PQ would be.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I think most have said that vga is a slight improvement from component - the only "issue" may be the lack of aspect control via the componenet connector. I honestly don't think that there would be too much of a drop off in quality if you hooked up the STB via BNC and had the HTPC hooked up via VGA...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Slarsky. Anybody know where I can get a panny 42ED or HD manual online? I can't find one.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Ahh, the great debate. That really depends on your preferences and your main uses. If you're going to be doing alot of computer usage, I'd go for HD as the 1024x768 matches the pc res nicely. If the main stay is movies and SD signals, you might want to look at the ED. It tends to do the same or better job on those signals as they're closer to its 850x480 res and there's less scaling to do.

General rule of thumb, you'll be happy either way you. go.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any difference in the TH-42PWD4UY & the TH-42PWD5UY besides the manufacturing date? 2001 (4) 2002 (5)

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Another possible issue. Some people have reported a problem with visible "seams" or "lines" in the picture with they try to feed HDTV into the Panny ED via the VGA port. I saw these using a DTC-100 when I first got the plasma, but was able to make them essentially dissappear by diddling the vertical size control. Some haven't been as lucky, and some have never seen them in the first place. so it's a variable problem. (I don't believe I've ever heard anyone report the "seams" problem with the HD set.)

The problem is that Panny says the VGA input on the ED plasma is intended for and optimized for computer input. Running HDTV into it is not something they officially support. So, if you run into this problem with your set, they won't help. You could do a search of this forum on those topics and read all about it.

Panny engineered these sets to run PC in via the VGA port and HD via those BNCs, either as component or RGB. To do that with the DTC 100, you have to get either a VGA-to-RGB breakout cable or a VGA-to-Component transcoder. Everyone who's reported on doing it this way says the PQ on both sources is great.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was going to use a vga to bcn's cable for the dtc100 & vga for the PC. I read that will work with some displays. I would rather stay away from a transcoder. Anyone tried this on a panny? Any good sources for the cable?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.