AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have developed a yellow spot recently. After doing some reading, I thought that I had burnt polarizers and was getting ready to send in for service. However, if there is the possibility that it is a dust blob, I would be willing to investigate that.

The blob appears in the general area and approx. size of the attached picture. Of course, it is not that bold or pronounced and the color fades at the edges. It appears yellow on a white background and it appears nearer to black on a dark blue background.

Is it possible that this could be a dust blob (given the size, it never occurred to me). Are there troubleshooting steps I can take to determine if it is a dust blob?

Thank you!

·
Registered
34 Posts
im almost sure this is not a dust blob. Sounds more like the optical block only guessing but i have the same on my sharp projector.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
A real picture would help, but it does look like a burnt blue polarizer. If it is under warranty send it in. Otherwise you can open it up and check for yourself (if you're that type like me).

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocan /forum/post/15966244

im almost sure this is not a dust blob. Sounds more like the optical block only guessing but i have the same on my sharp projector.

That is what I would have said too!!

DMG

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. That pretty much confirms my fears. I think I know where I went wrong and it was really dumb. I changed a bulb a few months ago and didn't change over the filter. The projector probably has close to 3000 lamp hours on it now in total on the 1st filter. Not good! When I noticed the yellowing in the center of the screen, I did some searches and thought it might be a burnt polarizer. That's when it dawned on my that I never changed the filter. It's a pity too....the thing was so easy to change. When I took out the old one, it was definitely dirty enough to restrict airflow and cause overheating. Blah....guess I'll send it in.

Anyone have any idea of what the repair might be? I know it costs $130 just for the authorized service center to look at it, but that cost goes towards the repair.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, if were talking hundreds as in 3-400, it may be worth while. If were talking hundreds as in 500 or more, then I'll just get a PT-AE3000U instead. The thing is, they can't give you an estimate until you send in the unit....so it looks like I'm, going to have to pay them $130 to tell me it's going to cost $X00 to fix. Frustrating!!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
They have to replace the entire optical block. You're looking at several hundred dollars, maybe even upwards of $1000...

·
Registered
609 Posts
KCWolfPck

Like rickster904 said, if it is not under warranty, get the Service Manual and learn how to open the PJ to check the blue polarizer. If it´s burned, you can buy a replacement part for: one hundred dollars? If the blue LCD is burned, then TF Ghost is right.

If you don't have the manual, PM your e-mail and I will send it to you.

Fernando

·
Registered
1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferbal /forum/post/15975572

KCWolfPck

Like rickster904 said, if it is not under warranty, get the Service Manual and learn how to open the PJ to check the blue polarizer. If it´s burned, you can buy a replacement part for: one hundred dollars? If the blue LCD is burned, then TF Ghost is right.

If you don't have the manual, PM your e-mail and I will send it to you.

Fernando

Good call, Ferbal. I should've been clearer. If you send it in Panasonic will replace the entire optical block, even for something simple like a burned polarizer. A DIY fix would definitely be the way to go (assuming it's the polarizer).

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
You need to open the pj, take out the polarizer and see for yourself. A burnt polarizer will have a brownish 'stain' the same size as the yellow stain you see on the image. A good polarizer has uniform color.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I found a post where someone posted a picture of a burnt polarizer. The only problem now would be finding a place that sells the part. I found a place that sells the whole optic block ($1395). The only listing I could find for the polarizer said "discontinued".

I think I'm getting closer and closer to just getting the PT-AE3000U.

·
Registered
609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCWolfPck /forum/post/16001263

Yeah, I found a post where someone posted a picture of a burnt polarizer. The only problem now would be finding a place that sells the part. I found a place that sells the whole optic block ($1395). The only listing I could find for the polarizer said "discontinued".

I think I'm getting closer and closer to just getting the PT-AE3000U.

Look here:
http://www.pasc.panasonic.com/ePartr/

·
Registered
609 Posts
I don't have the AE2000 Service Manual here in my office.

But, for the AE900:

TEEC0040 POLARIZING PLATE/IN (BLUE) 51.84 dollars

TKGP5284 POLARIZING PLATE/OUT(B) 79.31 dollars

TKGP5285 POLARIZING PLATE/OUT(B) 79.31 dollars

Hope that helps

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok. I'd like to bring this thread back for some confirmations. I've learned a lot since my last post and want to convey that information in this thread.

I was able to locate the service manual and I've identified the part for the blue polarizer as Part Number TEEC0050 (Blue Polarizer Plate).

I've located a seller for this part located at this link. The cost is $100.40.

I have taken actual pictures of the spot in question and am posting below:

Based on the above information, is it fair to say that a handy person equipped with a service manual could repair the image quality for the cost of the part linked above? The reason I ask is because I have sold the item on eBay and the seller seems alarmed by some of the content of this thread....which is understandable as this thread was missing a lot of information.

Thank you for your opinion.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCWolfPck /forum/post/16112507

Based on the above information, is it fair to say that a handy person equipped with a service manual could repair the image quality for the cost of the part linked above? The reason I ask is because I have sold the item on eBay and the seller seems alarmed by some of the content of this thread....which is understandable as this thread was missing a lot of information.

Thank you for your opinion.

Yes, assuming it's a burned polarizer and not a burned LCD panel.

EDIT: What exactly is missing from this thread?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF Ghost /forum/post/16112937

Yes, assuming it's a burned polarizer and not a burned LCD panel.

EDIT: What exactly is missing from this thread?

Thank you TF. For sake of argument, can a burnt LCD panel be replaced without replacing the whole optic block?

What was missing was that I found a place that stocked the polarizer plates. My last post indicated they were discontinued. Also, I posted actual photos, rather than a graphic representation.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCWolfPck /forum/post/16113463

Thank you TF. For sake of argument, can a burnt LCD panel be replaced without replacing the whole optic block?

What was missing was that I found a place that stocked the polarizer plates. My last post indicated they were discontinued. Also, I posted actual photos, rather than a graphic representation.

Ah! I thought he was saying the answers provided were lacking...

From my understanding you cannot replace a single LCD panel, you have to replace the entire optical block.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts