AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am assuming the worst with my 3000U. It DOES need a new bulb since I reset it twice so it has around 5k hours on it, but it is doing that thing where you turn it on, it shows the logo for 5 seconds and then it shuts off requiring a "hard reset" if you will. No lamp or temp warning lights. So I could spend 300 hoping its the bulb or not.

Back when I bought the 3000u brand new, it was common to pay over 2k to get a 1080p projector. Now there are so many 1080p under 1k. So I was wondering since I only have 700 saved and I could probably scrounge up 300 more, is there a projector that either has the same picture quality or greater than the Panasonic AE3000U at the 1k price point?

My throw is 12 feet, my projector will be on a shelf center with screen. Screen is 92'' and light is controlled. 3D would be fine, but i feel it is a fad and if it is I'd rather buy a better looking projector without 3d. The only feature on the 3000u I use is the frame creation mode. I think mode 2 looks soooo smooth. mostly used for movies and gaming.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
The bottom line answer is that while you can get good looking entry level images, but your placement and the use of CFI means there are no equivalent products for the money.

The entry level 1080p models (ignoring 3D or not) are mostly DLP. The Panasonic AR100 or Epson 8350/8345 models aren't as nice as the AE3000 even though they offer the lens shift you need, they don't offer the overall image quality and don't have CFI.

In fact, CFI really isn't around on many of the cheaper models.

But, the DLP projectors do produce a very nice image for the money... yet none of the cheap ones have lens shift which helps you out and none have the zoom range of the AE8000, so you would need to be aware of your 12' throw with a 92" screen.

While there are quite a few sub $2,000 projectors which can hit this distance and size:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=300&p=2000&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=12&i=d&is=92&sort=pop&sz=15

...the number with vertical lens shift is much lower...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=300&p=2000&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&vls=1&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=12&i=d&is=92&sort=pop&sz=15

...and basically none of the cheaper ones will match the AE3000.

If you can raise the projector to be above the top of the screen, the Optoma HD25 is certainly going to produce a very good image. Keep in mind DLP looks a fair bit different than LCD, and the 2x color wheel may introduce RBE which could annoy.

It still is the sweet spot at about $2,000-$3,000 for a projector which has good lens shift, good features, and a excellent image. Cheap solutions look good, but narrow down placement flexibility and typically have a bit of compromise. Heck, even nice projectors tend to have a bit of compromise somewhere. Most often it is input lag for the gamers out there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated  /t/1522497/pt-ae3000u-replacement#post_24482114

The bottom line answer is that while you can get good looking entry level images, but your placement and the use of CFI means there are no equivalent products for the money.

The entry level 1080p models (ignoring 3D or not) are mostly DLP. The Panasonic AR100 or Epson 8350/8345 models aren't as nice as the AE3000 even though they offer the lens shift you need, they don't offer the overall image quality and don't have CFI.

In fact, CFI really isn't around on many of the cheaper models.

But, the DLP projectors do produce a very nice image for the money... yet none of the cheap ones have lens shift which helps you out and none have the zoom range of the AE8000, so you would need to be aware of your 12' throw with a 92" screen.

While there are quite a few sub $2,000 projectors which can hit this distance and size:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=300&p=2000&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=12&i=d&is=92&sort=pop&sz=15

...the number with vertical lens shift is much lower...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=300&p=2000&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&vls=1&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=12&i=d&is=92&sort=pop&sz=15

...and basically none of the cheaper ones will match the AE3000.

If you can raise the projector to be above the top of the screen, the Optoma HD25 is certainly going to produce a very good image. Keep in mind DLP looks a fair bit different than LCD, and the 2x color wheel may introduce RBE which could annoy.

It still is the sweet spot at about $2,000-$3,000 for a projector which has good lens shift, good features, and a excellent image. Cheap solutions look good, but narrow down placement flexibility and typically have a bit of compromise. Heck, even nice projectors tend to have a bit of compromise somewhere. Most often it is input lag for the gamers out there.

ok Frame creation and placement aside \i can drop the screen or lower the shelf to make it level with the bottom or top of screen./ And i forgot i moved so my throw is about 15 feet now. Is the picture quality equal to or greater on say an Optoma HD25-LV or an Epson 2030 than the AE3000U since we are 4 years later in development?

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
The 2030 is probably similar, or not as good. The HD25 will look better IMO. Unfortunately, without them side-by-side, it's hard to say how much the difference is between a good $3,000 model from a few years ago and a entry level model today. DLP entry level is really strong in overall quality.

A huge issue is your throw distance though. 15' to 92" is well outside the 'normal'.

You've dropped from 32 projectors (12' to 92") to 6 projectors (15' to 92")

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=300&p=2000&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=15&i=d&is=92&sort=pop&sz=15

None of which fit your budget.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts