AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am now considering between the PT-AE4000U, the 8500UB, and the LG CF181D.

My projo will be hung from the ceiling, and, obviously I am not going to put a cap over the lens after every use. I keep hearing about all of the dust problems that the Pannys have, and I am wondering how much of an issue this really is.

Does the Epson not have that issue?

Should I install a dust filter in my room to suck the dust away from the ceiling?

Money not being a motivating factor for any of these Projos, which is best?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Don't run it upside down. there really is no compelling reason to run it upside down anymore. The lens shift allows it to be run right side up close to the cieling.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does that make a difference? Upside down vs. right side up? Should that eliminate a lot of the dust concerns?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
I can only assume this based on my impression of the configurations where dust has happend.

My room is not good, and I have the AE1000 for many years now, not one dust issue. But since lens shift has gotten so flexible, I never install upside down any more or use a mount, I just drop a shelf from the cieling.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I own an AE4000, and previously an AE2000. I never cleaned the filter, and never had a dust blob. Both were mounted on a wall shelf. I have over 6,000 hours on 4 different PJ's, and have never had a real problem with any of them. People who don't have issues, don't post that on forums, so all you see is what people complain about.

Art

·
Registered
440 Posts
I had a AE3000 for 425 hours before jumping to the AE4k. No issues. I got a blob on the AE4K in less than 200 hours. It wasn't hard to fix. I've always kept it on a shelf but now I put a dust cover on it between uses. I think the difference is I used the AE3K more often than the AE4K. But it is a theory like anything else.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I had the AE900 (850 hs), the AE2000 (800 hs) and now the AE3000 (500 hs). All upside down ceiling mounted. Only 1 dust blob (AE2000) and it was because I cleaned the filter from the wrong side. I easily fixed that. The 8500UB owners seems to have had less dust problems, but they have reported qc problems (>$3000 forum).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts