AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So me and my buddys were downstairs playing Xbox 360 when my Panasonic PT-AE900U just turned off after 15 minutes of use. We saw a flash of rainbow and then a black screen. I don't even have 300 hours logged yet and it wasn't used for over a year while I was in Iraq. I've used about 50 hours since I've been back. The temp light and lamp light aren't illuminated but the green power light comes on right away. It doesn't go through it's warm up phase, just a constant green light and no image, the fan isn't running either. It's almost like its locked up, the remote doesn't respond either. I have in hooked up through a monster 3600 power center and there was no surge. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? I called Panasonic and they said someone will get back to me in 2 to 3 days. Could it be the bulb so soon? Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm really stressing about this. Does anyone have and ideas? I hate to order a new bulb and it still not work.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I had a 700U for a couple of years and now a 900U for several months and nothing like that has happened to mine yet. I would freak out about it, too.

Luckily, I bucked most people's advice the first time around with my 700U and bought the $300 extended warranty, which accounts for why I now have a new 900U replacement at no charge (the problem with my 700U was nothing like your problem with your 900U) and would probably get an AX100U or another new 900U at no charge if my current one totally fizzled out over the next couple of years.

I don't suppose your warranty is still in force. When you hear back from Panasonic...or call them again, let us know what they said. If it's anything like my experience with car problems, sometimes it's a cheaper and simpler fix when you get absolutely nothing when you turn the key than when it sputters and limps along over an extended period of time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well Panasonic was no help. I talked to the techs today and all they did was refer me to a service center they recommend. The guy there wanted $120 for a diagnosis plus shipping both ways. After researching everything I could about my problem online I took it up to a local servie shop and paid the $60 for them to look at it. I should know what the problem is by Tuesday. I'll let everyone know what happens.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyguymp /forum/post/14208510

I'll let everyone know what happens.

i wish when people say this they would actually follow up. theres so many of these threads about odd problems that could help others if the op would come back and post his findings...........

eh, sorry....venting

·
Registered
1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/16223999

I am having this exact problem with my ae900u. Did you ever find out what was wrong? Please let me know.

I agree it'd be nice if the OP reported his findings. That said, it sounds like a main board failure.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
There's been a couple of reported issues with that unit. A bad power supply, or a faulty auto iris unit have been the culprits. It would take a repair shop to figure out which, if it is either of those.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so I'm finally responding. Anyways the tech said it was the main board and wanted $275 for the part and $200 for labor. I said screw that and sold it on ebay as is for $275. We were playing for a while the day before and the air filter was a little dirty but not anything over excessive, so I think it fried the board from overheating. I'm just going to wait for the AX-200 replacement in the fall. I have my 65 Mits DLP in front of my 120" screen, it is so ghetto rigged right now but functional.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts