AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this comparison doesn't really matter anymore since it's getting hard to find the L200 and if you are going to buy and entry level Epson it would probably be the Home 10 instead of the S1. Regardless after seeing Li On's positive comments, I decide I had to comment and maybe others can feel good about their L200 / AE200 purchase. For what it's worth, my comments are only my opinion are not intended to cause any argument with S1 owners.

I had bought an X1 last January and returned it only because of rainbows, lucky for me it ended up saving me around $1000 as well.

I bought my L200 last July. Just before I bought it the Epson S1 came on the scene with rather rave reviews from Projector Central. (It annoyed me me that they didn't bother reviewing the L200). After reading their review I wondered if I should get the S1 instead because of the MLA and apparently drastically reduce screen-door. Both projectors are / were basically the same price.

I ended up with the PT-L200 for, in my view, three fairly significant features

- contrast ratio 1:700

- native aspect ratio 16:9

- component video (without requiring a breakout cable)

This weekend I have had the opportunity to compare an S1 with my L200.

How should I put this nicely? Although the S1 ultimately was not bad, screen door on my L200 is definitely much less noticeable than on the S1, the difference in contrast ratio was quite apparent and boy do I like the color my L200 produces! I do run my L200 slightly defocused, however I found it difficult to produce an acceptable image with a slight defocus on the S1; it seemed to be either in focus or out.

The S1 was a little too noisy for my liking and I prefer the build quality of my L200. I won't bother talking about the S1 remote.

I guess from the reviews I read, my expectations for the S1 may have been set too high. What I'm really happy with is after having experienced with both the X1 and S1 I can honestly say I'm really happy with my L200.

That is for now, let's see what the next couple of years brings.

I would say for those who have an issue with rainbows and want / need a 4:3 aspect ratio, the S1 probably is a good choice. No zoom is a bit of a pain though.

I should note that my 16:9 screen size is 77" and viewing distance is 11'.

Also, my only source is DVD at this time. I tested the S1 with composite video and S-video inputs from a DVD player and used a HTPC to try to get the best image possible.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
I thought the 200 so good I almost "upgraded" from the AE100 shortly after I bought the 100. Even now, for a few hundred dollars, I'd almost do it, since the L300 and others would cost me lots more unless I find a used L300 which I have not yet. The L200 isn't as hard to find as you might think. I did an internet search and there are a fair number of retailers across the US who seem to have them. I've seen it advertised for as low as $995.00! I'd almost go for it myself and give a friend my AE100 for less and wait for my real upgrade for the next gen of 16:9 960P LCD PJ's.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.