AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 300 for almost a year now, I was looking though another thread, and saw that the 500 is being sold for the same price at a warehouse club that I bought my 300 for.

I guess my question is, people who have SOLD their 300's to get 500"s, what did you sell them for, I guess I would like to get an idea of how much mine might sell for. Nothing specific just how much and how long ago.

My wife might let me upgrade our projector if I could sell it for about what we paid for it.

Help

· Registered
2,687 Posts
I considered the 300 but just bought the 500 new instead. You're just not going to get that much for your 300. You'll be doing very good to get 65% of your original purchase price even if it's in mint condition.

· Registered
627 Posts
As a 300U owner, I would caution against upgrading to the 500U just because the price is lower now that the AE 700 is available. Ask yourself the question, "What can the 500 do that my 300 cannot. While some have said they notice a difference in the resolution, others said they cannot tell the difference.

When I purchased my 300U I figured that it would project DVD's at their full potential until the HD DVD's arrived (which will probably be in late 2005 at best). I use my 300U to watch HDTV broadcasts, which look remarkable even with the 540 lines of resolution the 300U is capable of.

I am going to wait a few more years and let the 1080 models arrive with better contast, perhaps longer lasting bulbs, etc. Until then the 300U is doing a great job for me. I have had mine for about 18 months now.

It you want to upgrade, perhaps it would be better to wait another year and get an AE 700 at a closeout price.

· Registered
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Willard
I am going to wait a few more years and let the 1080 models arrive with better contast, perhaps longer lasting bulbs, etc. Until then the 300U is doing a great job for me. I have had mine for about 18 months now.

I am in the exact same position as you (except I had mine for 2 years now)and agree 100% with everything you said. If this was my first projector, however, I would probably go with a new 500, 700 or Hitachi TX100.

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
decisions, decisions, decisions,

You guys have brought up a couple of great points. My wife, could care less, about upgrading, she thinks the picture is just fine. I have been lurking around here for a couple of years so I know all about the great next thing, which is bad, seeing that most of us always want the great next thing. and there is usually nothing wrong with what we have. I just don't know.

· Registered
287 Posts
I have a PT-L300U too - going on 16 months and am still excited by the picture every time we turn it on. There are a number of threads you can search for about people that upgraded from the PT-L300U to the PT-L500U with some very interesting feedback and comparisons. There's one in particular (forgot who posted it, but you can search for it) that was pretty definitive and his conclusion was it wasn't worth upgrading - the difference was incremental at best.

Now, going to a 700 may be a more significant difference. Also, if you need HDCP you will have to upgrade as well (but there are some products out now that supposedly make your non-HDCP DVI input HDCP-compatible). I don't use my 300 at all for web browsing and other PC stuff since the lower rez is a drawback for those purposes. So, the increased resolution of the newer models would be a factor if displaying PC output for those purposes is important to you.

Bottom line for me: The PT-L300U continues to perform amazingly for DVD and HDTV viewing, which covers 100% of our uses. Brightness, contrast and lack of screen door effect have been totally acceptable for us since day 1 with this product. I will wait for significant improvements in projectors to reach the

· Registered
627 Posts
I agree somewhat with terpsfan about getting the AE 700 if it is your first projector. The 720 line resolution will perform well with both HDTV and the new high definition DVD's (whichever one wins the format war). Since it will be some time before the AE 700 is obsolete, the DVI HDCP capability will be important with both DVI and HDMI source outputs. The lens shift feature found only on the AE 700 might also be a big help in certain installations. I believe the 500U has DVI HDCP, but I could be wrong.

For me it will be a total upgrade when high definition DVD is established. I will need to replace the projector, the DVD player, and possibly the receiver in order to switch the DVI or HDMI sources. Also my ATSC tuner that only has component output might also have to be replaced.

But then again that is half the fun of having a home theater.

· Registered
2,061 Posts
"upgrading" from the 300u to a 500u at this time is pretty much a waste of $$$ for HDTV and DVD. Now if you want to play PC games, i guess it might be useful, albeit very costly an upgrade as stated above.

Quote:
Originally posted by Terpsfan have a PT-L300U too - going on 16 months and am still excited by the picture every time we turn it on. There are a number of threads you can search for about people that upgraded from the PT-L300U to the PT-L500U with some very interesting feedback and comparisons. There's one in particular (forgot who posted it, but you can search for it) that was pretty definitive and his conclusion was it wasn't worth upgrading - the difference was incremental at best.
I believe the member name is "Jacksonian". Do a search... good reality check for those with the "upgrade" itch.

YMMV.

· Premium Member
13,810 Posts
Many of us made the upgrade. As I've said before, if you watch a lot of HD it's worth it. If you don't, it's not.

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You guys are awesome,

I read though some of jacksonian's threads, he and others make a great point, If I'm satisfied,(and I am) leave well enough alone. I just bought a zenith upscaling dvd player, that I can use through component, and dvd's look great and Comcast hd is also nice to look at so I guess i'll leave well enough alone. FOR NOW :)

BUT, Terpsfan, mentioned something about device that can make a 300's dvi port usable (hdcp compliant), does anyone know what he might be talking about?

thanks

· Registered
25 Posts
I plan to upgrade my 300u when a 1080 with good brightness/contrast comes along at $2k range. One plan is to move the 300u in the bedroom on a smaller screen, maybe even rear projection.

· Registered
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by househusband36
BUT, Terpsfan, mentioned something about device that can make a 300's dvi port usable (hdcp compliant), does anyone know what he might be talking about?
This product might do the trick.... but I'm not sure if it just passes HDCP content through or if it actually decodes the stream so that a non-HDCP DVI input on the projector can display it.

http://www.digitalconnection.com/pro...deo/ddd12p.asp

... at $299, I think I'll spend that money toward a new projector in a few years rather than attempting to make the old projector HDCP compatible.

· Registered
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by househusband36
Looks like that might work, but I also found dtronis ds-21r which I think might work better
URL link to this solution? Google search on "dtronis ds-21r" comes back empty. Thanks.

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Morning Kei,

I'm looking for a dvi-d switch or selector or something that I can use to make my Panasonic 300's dvi port which is not hdcp compliant, useful. It seems that you might be the person to speak with. I have been on your web site but I'm still not quite sure what I'm looking for. If there is nothing oh well

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

The following link is to the DVI distribution amp which will decrypt HDCP before going to the display:
http://www.digitalconnection.com/pr...ideo/ddd12p.asp

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks like kei is the person to talk about this, she says it should work, thats good enough for me. Now my problem is do i pay 299 at digital connection or 230 at pacific custom cable. what to do what to do.

· Registered
2,079 Posts
Quote:
Now my problem is do i pay 299 at digital connection or 230 at pacific custom cable. what to do what to do.
Or you could just buy a Momitsu DVD player for $230, which enables you to hook up to a non-HDCP compliant projector!

Oops, I just gave you another decision, didn't I?

· Premium Member
13,810 Posts
Except that it's not his DVD player he needs to be compliant...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.