AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been following the AVS forums closely regarding the Panny PT50LC13 and am potentially interested in one. I think they have just come out in Canada and was wondering if anyone has seen one here yet. Futureshop has it listed online at $4799 CAD. Anyone else seen it around listed cheaper than this? And anyone have any ideas on how much room retailers have to move on the is item in CAD dollars?

thanks, Graham

·
Registered
130 Posts
The MSRP is $5299, but you know that wasn't going to hold up with the new 50" Sony coming out at $4999.

Panny price

I haven't seen one on display yet... you must be in Toronto.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't seen one on display yet... you must be in Toronto.

No, I'm in Edmonton. I haven't seen one yet either, but I was searching for one online. I don't know if they've made it to stores yet though. I went looking around at the beginning of the month asking about the tv. I might as well have been speaking Greek as no one had a clue what I was talking about (Best Buy, Futureshop etc.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
The PT50LC13 is on display in Toronto right now (I have seen at least 3 stores selling it).

2001 Audio/Video had an ad on the weekend with the set priced at $4500.

·
Registered
237 Posts
They're just making it into stores. Was in one GVA location (Burnaby) and they just got it in last week.

Was in Calgary yesterday for business. The FS at... geesh, I dunno it was NW Calgary (just off Crowchild Trail) had it set up and running the FS promo loop.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just bought a PT50LC13 from future shop here in ottawa. It's being delivered on wednesday.

All the future shops in town have em on display now, and some of the mom and pop outfits....

good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was in at the Futureshop last night looking at it. The deal was $4799 with the 5 year service plan (does not cover bulb) included, in addition to a $480 Futureshop gift card. I tried (not very hard) to get him to drop the price $480 on the tv and can the gift card but he didn't want to go for that. I didn't bite.

I'm waiting for Visions to get it and see what they can do. I like the fact that they offer lifetime (as long as the tv is still under production) price protection and will roll the extended warantee into a store credit after the term expires if you don't use it. To me both of these are highly attractive incentives to buy there and deal with the creepy Visions salepeople. Hopefully they stock it.

A&B sound (western Canada only) will be getting floor models in selected locations, but it will be a special order item only.

Best Buy doesn't even have the TV in their system (as of 9/24/03). I find this strange considering that Futureshop (which they own) already has it on the floor.

hope this helps the fellow Canucks, Graham

·
Registered
237 Posts
AFAIK Visions does not carry Panasonic. Visions is a nasty, nasty place. IMO of course :)

The stores always look like a tornado went through them, and they seem to have an inordinate portion of the store dedicated to car audio. Anyways, I was looking at a DLP in one of the stores, and I told the guy (who was a total prick) that I was pretty serious about getting one.

He answers my question like making a sale is the last thing he wants to do -- like he's got better stuff to do. Then when I'm done, I stick around, walk around a bit, come back to the DLP. He comes up and asks (in a brusque manner) why I'm still in the store!

What a wonderful way to make a customer feel comfortable on a big purchase!

Anyways, the lifetime price protection is neat, but doesn't apply to clearance prices, limited quantity items etc. So IMO if you buy a model at the beginning of the model cycle you might derive some benefit in the middle of the year (prices usually drop a bit) but you don't get clearance pricing.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
They have it at Stereo Plus in Orleans (East end Ottawa) for around the same price as Future Shop. I went there looking for the new Hitachi because Hitachi's ad in the Citizen said (implied?) they carry it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Graham,

The sticker price on this set at FS in Qc city is 4800CAD.

A salesperson offered it to me for 4800CAD(taxes included) or 4200CAD plus taxes. This 4200CAD sale price is not really a bargain, as it is equivalent(after exchange rate conversion) to the US list price of 3000USD.

Mike50

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This 4200CAD sale price is not really a bargain, as it is equivalent(after exchange rate conversion) to the US list price of 3000USD.

Mike,

Sadly, I don't think it works quite like this. After talking to many people about this issue, I came to the understanding that it is a matter of economies of scale. The US market typically has more buying power and as such items are cheaper there after conversion, relative to Canadian dollars.

On a positive note, I bought the PT50LC13 here in Edmonton today at Futureshop for $3950. Evidently they dropped the price $800 because they heavily advertised a Sony model that they never received, and as such they were offering the Panny at a comparable price. It is my understanding that the "sale" is only for 1 week. I simply couldn't pass up the price at $3950. In addition they offer the same financing as Best Buy, which is no interest, equal payments for 24 months. Unfortunately I have to wait until Thursday for them to deliver it...almost too long to bear!

graham

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I had a look at the PT50C13 at Future Shop on Ogilvie Rd. in Ottawa.

They had it hooked up to the Sammy HD931 DVI out playing LOTR 2 Towers. I thought that was cool because I haven't been able to find even a Sammy DLP hooked up to the 931 in Ottawa.

The problem was that it was set up in an aisle and I couldn't get farther away than 3'. It might have looked great from 8'-10' but looked like crap from 3. That was a disappointment. As well, I had the wife along and it thus failed the wife test. Fortunately, she's a quality control tester by profession. She went around to all the other RPTV sets on display and stood 3' away. Most of them didn't fare much better. (so they all failed the wife test :D )

What I'd love to find is a store with the Sammy DLP, GWIII, Hitachi and Panasonic all with the same source right side by side. The ability to switch between HD, DVD and SD on all sets at once would be nice too. What are the odds of that happening?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.