AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using a fixed projection screen (Da-lite Permwall 92x52, 106" diagonal) for the last 2.5 years. I have used it with my PLV-Z1 as my only TV in the house .

Due to my projector getting very poor lamp life, I'm considering limiting the use of the projector to nights only. I have very limited space in my house, and no other room than the current one, which has no floor space available for anything big like a CRT.

I'm considering taking down the 106" permanent screen, putting a smaller screen, such as maybe a 37" LCD or up to a 50" plasma, as those now cost less than $3000 ; then having a pulldown projection screen that I can use at night to get the big picture . The screen would pull down and hide the plasma or LCD (which would of course be off at that point).

Has anyone ever considered toying with this option ?

Will the pull down screens be far enough in front that they will stay flat and hide the plasma or LCD ?

Is this a crazy idea or what ?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I think it is an excellent idea. I bet there are a few people who do this very thing, since the dual home theater seems to be very popular (regular tv for daytime viewing, and PJ/screen for nighttime viewing.

I don't do this exact thing, but I have a DIY roll-down screen that comes down in front of some large windows in my tv room. My old CRT TV is off to the side in the corner.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So how far in front are those pull down screens ? I guess they would have to be at least 6" from the wall in order to be set in front of an LCD or plasma + wall mount without touching them, thus making the projection screen uneven.

Would the pull down screen need a special mount to set it forward a few extra inches ?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Why not use a ceiling mount on the screen? You could use drop rods if you have a very high ceiling. This is something we considered doing in our room.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I've seen bottom up screens from one or two manufactures. You do wind up with the case on the floor. Either that or moving it in to use and moving it out to storing it away. I saw an eposide on HGTV. Designer's Challenge IIRC. They put a TV in the entertainment unit. Then mounting at the top of the entertainment unit, housed an electric screen. It was hidden in the moulding at the top of the unit when retracted. Really neat! My HT is planned with a smallish RPTV (42"?) and a pull down screen in front of it for the CRT FP PJ. I'll chose an RPTV to avoid burn in when the kids play video games.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain
I have a vaulted ceiling, not flat, so a ceiling mount isn't an option for me.
Stewart has a product called the wall climber. They have an AVI animated movie showing it in a high vaulted ceiling application. I know this is the DIY section but just FYI. :D

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PAW,

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAW
Stewart has a product called the wall climber. They have an AVI animated movie showing it in a high vaulted ceiling application. I know this is the DIY section but just FYI. :D
Would you mind providing a link to the specs and to that AVI ?

I couldn't find it on the Stewart web site .

(I'm afraid it's probably out of my price range, but I'm still curious ;))

Thanks.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Madbrian, I'm researching and am in the process of doing this very project. I'm finishing up an old dresser that I'm converting into an entertainment unit. I will then mount my 42" plasma above the unit. Afterwards, I will mount a screen, not sure with size yet since I will be moving my PJ. Currently I running a 76" screen but may move to a 92-96" screen once then PJ is moved back. I believe this is a simple project and I am being budget conscience. I plan to simply build a cornice type of box with crown molding to house the pull down screen that will be above the plasma. Another member has a nice setup very similar to what I will do. He has lights in the moulding but a screen would also work, see the attached pic.

Very easy to do, What will hold my project up is wire management, long cable runs that I have to hide (concrete ceilings suck).

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That setup looks impressive. But it looks like the projector screen would also pull up in front of speakers ? Isn't that a problem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by launche
Madbrian, I'm researching and am in the process of doing this very project. I'm finishing up an old dresser that I'm converting into an entertainment unit. I will then mount my 42" plasma above the unit. Afterwards, I will mount a screen, not sure with size yet since I will be moving my PJ. Currently I running a 76" screen but may move to a 92-96" screen once then PJ is moved back. I believe this is a simple project and I am being budget conscience. I plan to simply build a cornice type of box with crown molding to house the pull down screen that will be above the plasma. Another member has a nice setup very similar to what I will do. He has lights in the moulding but a screen would also work, see the attached pic.

Very easy to do, What will hold my project up is wire management, long cable runs that I have to hide (concrete ceilings suck).

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain
PAW,

Would you mind providing a link to the specs and to that AVI ?

I couldn't find it on the Stewart web site .

(I'm afraid it's probably out of my price range, but I'm still curious ;))

Thanks.
HMMM!!! I don't see it on their website either. I KNOW it's in their CD catalog. Here's the url

Stewart Catalog Request

·
Registered
355 Posts
As I said this member has lights not a screen, just trying to give you a visual. But specific setups would be modified accordingly. You could simply place the speakers just outside where the screens edge would be. I personally don't like my speakers crowding the plasma, so I would surely put them 1-2 feet to either side of the screen. So a 42" plasma is just over 3ft wide, adding 1-2 ft to that for speakers gives you a 6-7 ft wide spread which I believe a 76in 16:9 screen would fit right into. Once again your setup will determine if this is feasble. Obviously the bigger the screen, one may not want their speakers too far apart if wall mounted. Another option depending on your setup and equipment would be to have the speakers just above or under the screen (which is the method I think I will use) If you use speaker stands it wouldn't be an issue to move them to the side a few feet when you drop the screen. I don't know your setup but I've already done the rough plans and this option will work for me. It's VERY do-able, especially if your setup is for HT only. This member's pic has a plasma behind the screen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.