AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Just yesterday, i had my projector and pull down screen installed. I only have an entry level BenQ projector so didn't want to spend a fortune on a screen, i got this one which i thought was decent, not too cheap.

http://westcoasthificannington.com....pulldown-120-inch-16-9-projection-screen.aspx

Now overall it is good but i do definitely see the V shaped waves on it. I actually can't notice them at all when watching content, it's when it's turned off or when i have my HTPC mediaportal menu with lots of lines of text that i notice the waves.

Is this normal for an out of the box non tab tensioned pull down screen ? i know after time they can develop waves

Am i expecting too much ?

Now i believe waves are caused by lack of tension on the sides, so theoretically, if two people were either side of the screen gentley holding it taught, there would be no waves ?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Yes, you are expecting too much. I have a 100 elite electric and it has some waves to it with some edge curling. After a while you just won't care about it and besides I do not notice it during normal movie watching, only some panning scenes.

·
Vendor
NX7 + ST130, Firehawk & Black Diamond + Marantz 8012 + Def Tech 9080s +more.
496 Posts
Hi guys

Just yesterday, i had my projector and pull down screen installed. I only have an entry level BenQ projector so didn't want to spend a fortune on a screen, i got this one which i thought was decent, not too cheap.

http://westcoasthificannington.com....pulldown-120-inch-16-9-projection-screen.aspx

Now overall it is good but i do definitely see the V shaped waves on it. I actually can't notice them at all when watching content, it's when it's turned off or when i have my HTPC mediaportal menu with lots of lines of text that i notice the waves.

Is this normal for an out of the box non tab tensioned pull down screen ? i know after time they can develop waves

Am i expecting too much ?

Now i believe waves are caused by lack of tension on the sides, so theoretically, if two people were either side of the screen gentley holding it taught, there would be no waves ?
Unfortunately that will be the vase with many inexpensive non-tensioned screens. Most people don't mind it if it's not noticeable when watching content on it - when it starts to affect the image quality then it is time for concern.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have a brand new, used 3 times Favi electric screen. It too got the V shaped wave in it after it's first use, but like everyone elses, I can't see it during content. Unless the angle is exact the screen looks flat. Being wrinkle free seems like bigger deal than being free of slight waves.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My manual screen had waves the first day Iopened it up. At first I was concerned, but they are not noticeable when I am watching movies. I guess you get what you pay for, I only spent like $200 for my 120"

·
Registered
19,074 Posts
My manual screen had waves the first day Iopened it up. At first I was concerned, but they are not noticeable when I am watching movies. I guess you get what you pay for, I only spent like $200 for my 120"
You don't see the waves on video panning across the screen? It's true that tensioned screens are quite a bit more expensive. Hopefully I'll have mine for many years of enjoyment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I guess you get what you pay for, I only spent like $200 for my 120"
My $3000 159" Da-Lite tensioned electric screen had waves in the lower R corner from day one. Tension needs to be applied about 12" from the bottom to make them go away. But what is even worse is that this screen was made with adhesives that make the screen tacky/oily on the back. Raising the screen transfers this to the viewing surface.

I also have a $1000 150" Elite electric. It developed waves after a few months. Unfortunately, I found that raising the screen causes the waves to turn into wrinkles.

My $400 100" Elite pull-up has no waves or wrinkles.

I am happiest with the $170 screen material I bought off of eBay which is taped to the wall with blue painter's tape behind the 150" Elite and masked to 2.35:1. This material is fiberglass backed and does not have any wrinkles or waves.

I may cut off both electric screens and tape them to the wall and use manual masking for HDTV and scope.

Experience may not be the best teacher, but it certainly is the most expensive.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Guess I just really got lucky when I purchased a Focupix 16:9 120" electric NON-tensioned screen from htdepot.com over 4 years ago for about $450 delivered. I was convinced it's the same screen as the Favi.:confused: Anyway, it's never had a wrinkle or a wave and still operates fine. It DOES have a bit of "curl-in" on the sides but you can only see it by looking for it from the side. Sorry to see that some others have purchased the Favi and have waves.:( That was my back up for if/when the Focupix develops a problem.

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts