AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on buying a Panny 65" plasma---either the G25 or VT25. 3D isn't a deal breaker for me so I can live with the G25 assuming it's specs are exactly like the VT25 sans the 3D support.

Should I wait til Panasonic announces their plasma lineup at the CES in January or should I pick up a plasma before the end of the year?

I'm thinking that Panasonic's plasmas will have fixed the black level issue in the 2011 models as well as have a much improved PQ over 2010's VT25s. I know there will be quite a price difference, but if the PQ is head and shoulders above today's models then maybe I'll wait.

Help me decide or if you've got inside info, let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd assume the next step in hdtv's is going to be more HD/Smaller tv frames

I've heard some talk of panny coming out with 1" thick plasmas, but I'm unsure of the real probability of that happening....

I have a strong feeling though we'll see 1440p tv's in January. Now that 3D has hit, "Ultra HD" or something is the next marketing deal.

Depends if you are an 'early adopter' with new tech. You want the coolest new stuff? Wait.

You want to enjoy what has proven to work now... like seeing a solid base of reviews, and high Purchase volumes.. then buy now, and upgrade when the new drops down in price.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not really an early adopter so 3D isn't a must for me. I'm just looking for great PQ (including black levels) within my budget and I don't know if next year's Panny plasmas will be leaps and bounds better than today's Pannys.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I would wait. LG halved their black levels this year and Samsung black levels dropped a bit too. I would wait to see what they come out with... hopefully the knowledge that other plasma manuf's are improving PQ by strides will encourage Panny to fix their black level issues.

·
Registered
415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 /forum/post/19547965

I believe its more like 2160 and they're calling it quad HD.

I don't see the point at the moment. It just doesn't seem practical. Some stations are just adopting 720p/1080i HD right now. I dont see "quad HD" for around a decade.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
The lack of leaks about the CES show is interesting. It almost seems there is nothing new in technology this year.

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
I would wait, but the 65" size for the VT25 replacement will likely not be available until summer (based on the way they have rolled out their top-of-the-line displays every single year).

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/19548702

I would wait, but the 65" size for the VT25 replacement will likely not be available until summer (based on the way they have rolled out their top-of-the-line displays every single year).

But won't they show them off at the CES show?

·
Registered
15,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 /forum/post/19552843

But won't they show them off at the CES show?

They may show off the technology, but won't be available for purchase for quite a while.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
it's so close to CES.. I'm waiting to see what's announced although I realize it will be 3-4 months after CES at best till you might see some of these sets. If I dont see anything worthwhile..it will be a 65VT25 or a 63C8000 for me.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"I have a strong feeling though we'll see 1440p tv's in January."

You are wrong.

The only thing you might see is a 2160 prototype. There will be no "higher than HD" products in 2011. And I doubt there will be any in 2012 either.

·
Registered
193 Posts
When do the newer models actually get release by manufacturers into stores? Is it the same for all brands?

Just curious as if price was an issue then timing purchases with newer models would offer some good clearance prices on older models.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/19548702

Nope; in '10, Panasonic released all of their VT25 line in the last week of May. AVS Forum has posts, from that time, by early owners of these TVs, even a 65.

·
Registered
193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 /forum/post/19555342

Nope; in '10, Panasonic released all of their VT25 line in the last week of May. AVS Forum has posts, from that time, by early owners of these TVs, even a 65.

So March or April might be a good time to look for deals.

What about Samsung, when did they release in 2010 and 2009?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts