AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question, but...

What should I be worried about if I'm considering mounting a pulldown screen (like a Da-Lite Model B) in front of a window?

I know fabric screens are fairly transmissive; does this mean that I'd need to have some sort of blackout shade between the window and the screen? Are there any other pulldown screen materials that would allow me to get away without an extra shade?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I saw this done once is a very expensive house--the screen slid down in channels on either side to completely block all light from the window.

I think you would need a screen with a backing of some sort.

One easy solution would be a pulldown shade on the window behind the pulldown screen.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You are right to be concerned. I have a Da-Lite B hung in front of a great room window. I have used both Matte white and Cinema Vision fabric. From across the street you can clearly see what is being projected. The Matte white is thicker material and thus dimmer. But it still is too tramissive. We hang black fabric behind this screen and privacy is restored.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking for a compromise solution - opposite to the other considerations described here: I would like to make a pull-down screen to go over a window with the INTENTION of being able to see the projected image on both sides!

We have a patio on the other side of the window in question, where we sit on most summer nights. So it would be good to flick the projector to "rear projection" and watch the movies from there.

However, I suspect that we should have two screens in front of each other - one for inside (front) viewing and one for outside (rear) viewing....

Any opinions?

Cheers,

Joe

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
I have a Firehawk pull down (actually it's an Electriscreen). The screen material feels like a very soft rubber boat (sorry for this comparison :D). I doubt that any light could shine through.

_____

Axel

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I have the HCMW screen in front of a window with blinds. You can't see what's on the screen from the street, but the problem is, if the blinds aren't closed 100%, you get the light (in the daytime) going right through the back of the screen to interfere with the picture. Keep that in mind.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rfoye
You are right to be concerned. I have a Da-Lite B hung in front of a great room window. I have used both Matte white and Cinema Vision fabric. From across the street you can clearly see what is being projected. The Matte white is thicker material and thus dimmer. But it still is too tramissive. We hang black fabric behind this screen and privacy is restored.
Heh, and suddenly the neighbor kids were sitting on your front lawn watching your window with popcorn in hand... You could at least have run an outdoor speaker to them :)

- Cryo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.