AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I was thinking about buying the Da-lite HCMW 106" or greater. However I have been hesitant due to this "ripple" effect. I was wondering, if the "ripples" became too annoying, is it possible to cut the screen away from the housing and then stretch it over a frame? Has anyone done this successfully before?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Yes, it is a fairly easy job or should I say that it is no more difficult than Blackout cloth.

Ddog!!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for you responses guys. I won't feel so bad spending the money on the screen now.

How did you make the frame? Is there somewhere I can go for the design? I'm not very good at constructing stuff, so I'd need a "Building Frames for Dummies" type instructions.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I was just going to post a similar thread. I have a dyi screen that I am interesting in replacing with a High Power. From some searching, it seems like getting the Da Lite Model B would actually be cheaper than getting just the fabric with grommets by about 40%. does not really make a lot of sense, but seems like a decent savings.

my screen frame is just made of 1x2s and L-brackets. Its pretty simple - just a rectangular outer frame with two braces in the center for support. I secured the backout fabric with a staple gun and a ton of staples - not sure if this would be the best way to attach the high power fabric.

I was thinking about maybe attaching velcro strips to the screen fabric which would then rap around the frame and attach to the back. Any suggestions on other attachment methods?

-jeff

·
Registered
217 Posts
Jeff,

I am thinking about doing the same thing with my DIY screen. The way I made my original was to "sandwich" a Parkland Platics sheet between to 1" x 4" wood frames with L-brackets in the corners. The front frame is covered in a heavy black cloth I got at Wal-Mart. I stapled the Plastic Sheet to the back side of the front frame and then ran screws all the way through at the corners to attach the two frames and make the "sandwich". I then ran a couple of extra pieces of 1" x 4" evenly spaced vertically on the rear frame to make the whole thing a little sturdier and less likely to warp. It looks great and people who come over are always surprised that I made it and it is not store bought.

I was thinking of using the same method with the High Power fabric out of the Model B. However, first I am going to hang the Model B over my existing frame and see how it looks by itself. If it looks pretty decent I may just use it that way and then I will have two screens if there is ever a movie that I thought might look better on the Parkland.

To those of you who have done this, (ddog, Brian Corr), did you do it because the Model B does not look good by itself?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you guys have any photo's of your frames?

Also, what is the difference between Model B and Model C?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Size and weight are the biggest difference.

A model B weighs in about 30 lbs. and max size is 8 feet in width.

A model C weighs in about 60 lbs. and max size is custom to whatever you needs are.

Also the casing is bigger in the model C by about 6 inches or so.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BSN
Size and weight are the biggest difference.

A model B weighs in about 30 lbs. and max size is 8 feet in width.

A model C weighs in about 60 lbs. and max size is custom to whatever you needs are.

Also the casing is bigger in the model C by about 6 inches or so.
Other than the size of the screen, what are the advantages of Model C? Is the quality better? Are there less ripples? What I'm trying to say is... Is Model C worth the extra money?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.