AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally pulled the trigger after months of lurking, two purchases that never made it home, and maddening hours of research.

Finally came down to the new 50A10 or the JVC 52inch DIla (86 series).

Cabinet size limited a lot of my choices, and the key for me was for the base of the TV to fit on a 44 inch wide stand. Screen size was to be 50 minimum (11 ft viewing distance). Eliminated Samsung, Mitsu, and other DLP's, along with Panasonic LCD, Hitachi and others.

Didn't want big old side speakers on the set, going in my HT. So, that eliminated the 55 sony. I still don't see any point in big old speakers on the side.

New Mitsu LCD's have WAY too much Screen Door Effect. I'm going to have to live with it on the Sony.

The new Mitsu DLP's are looking to have street prices of about 3k for a 52 DLP I suspect. Part of me wanted to hold out, but with Plasma dropping in price at that point I'd step up another 500 and go plasma. I really wanted to stay around or below 2500 bucks.

Toshiba DLP's look good picture wise, but the speakers were a deal breaker. Just too wide.

So, down to the JVC and Sony.

JVC does look good, New Sony looks great also. But with the Sony I felt much more confident in going without a warranty over the JVC. I really felt I HAD to get an extended warranty with the JVC while with the Sony I know so many folks with them without problems I felt I could save a good 400 bucks.

Plus I had a coupon at CC for 10% off on TOP of sale prices, and with 5% back in rebates the 50 Sony ran me about MSRP for the 42!

The JVC would have ran me about 175 more, then I felt like the warranty was a must buy.

Hopefully at 11 feet I won't notice the Screen Door effect all that badly. If I do it will likely be the JVC (really nice job with JVC on the all black cabinet). It was a tough call, but in my world the JVC would have been almost 600 bucks more, and I didn't feel that it was 600 better, in fact it is more about trade offs with both sets and for 600 bucks no way.

Plus, 30 days to really decide. Can't beat that.

SURE wish Sony was doing a 55 with the Dynamic Iris (it works well in my testing) and the smaller cabinet...

·
Registered
836 Posts
The Dynamic Iris doesn't always work fast enough from bright to dark scenes when the scenes change fast. Many eople have turned this feature off and many members have stated that the blacks looked as good on the A20 series with out the Iris vs. the A10 with. I also considered the JVC and thought the Sony bested the set for PQ. The JVC had many problems with light engines in the first run of set so I think you made a great deciscion. I have the A20 in a 60" and the box pixels are only visible on bad feeds when you're close to the set. DVD and HD feeds are stunning.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGiant
Cabinet size limited a lot of my choices, and the key for me was for the base of the TV to fit on a 44 inch wide stand. Screen size was to be 50 minimum (11 ft viewing distance). Eliminated Samsung, Mitsu, and other DLP's, along with Panasonic LCD, Hitachi and others.
Just one question:

The Samsung HLR5078 DLP is the same width as your Sony 50A10, was here another reason it was excluded?

:confused:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I was slightly concerned about lip sync.

However, the main reason is that while the cabinets are the same, the sony, like the JVC and new mitsubishi's have that smaller "foot" on the bottom of the cabinet that is narrower than 45 inches (top of my cabinet).

While not a huge issue, it gives a cleaner look to it when the cabinet is wider than the stand, yet the foot of the stand easily fits on the base.

Small factor, but one that was important to me (and my wife).

Again, no question that if the 55 didn't have those big honking speakers, then that is what I would have bought.

Put that 55 in a cabinet like the 50 (iris or no iris) and that would have been the winner I suspect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.