AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after much hemming and hawing (not to mention a long wait for the right plasma at the right time at the right place) I pulled the trigger today on a 507UY from VA (DVI blade from PC since they actually have them in stock and at the same price as VA)!

It should be here by the end of the week. They are using a DHL subcontractor similar to all other accounts I've read about VA shipping, will update the post if things go awry.

Sooo, not only do I get to retire the 36"XBR400, I don't have to move it to my new place- hazzah! My back is already thanking me.

My poor, poor credit card though... oh well, at least I get the points and the warrenty extension. :D

And now I get to cross my fingers the whole week it a) arrives intact and b) has no dead or stuck pixels. Hope I didn't just jinx myself there (even though the more I talk to dealers the more I think they will take care of me if it goes ill).

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Nice, super congrats on your purchase! Be sure to give us a mini-review and post some pics when you get it! :D

Some threads for reference to assist you, these refer to the Panny 6 series ED set, but they should prove somewhat helpful.

Out-of-the-Box acceptance test , to help prepare you for the proper steps to take when the big box shows up,

42PWD6UY Settings File thread to give you an idea of other users settings,

Are you seeing the FULL image you paid for!? , which is _Michaelangelo_s thread to assist in overscan,

Don't forget "Hammer's Settings of Extreme Visual Bliss"

And last, but absolutely not the least, be sure to check out the "Steaming Rat," or "Rich's Method For Achieving A More Realistic Image... to assist in your calibration process.

Enjoy your new plasma! :D

-JR

·
Registered
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by orogogus
I pulled the trigger today on a 507UY from VA
Damn! Yet more violence! Will it never end?!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Ordered mine yesterday for a Thursday delivery as well :) Thanks to Bruzzi and this forum for all the help. I'll post my impressions on thursday night.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I ordered one last night as well, should arrive Friday! I should have waited until my new credenza comes in (early December) since now I have to move my 36" XBR CRT to another room without its stand that has casters; but I couldn't wait. That bad boy is heavy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm getting ready to order mine! Just trying to work out the logistics of wall mounting, hiding the cables behind the wall, making sure its high enuff so the 2 year old cant touch it! My 12 year old 52" Pioneer RPG bit the dust so now I'm ready! Question, what do you guys do with your old (or maybe not so old) sets??

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Put it in the paper classifieds or I've always had luck selling my older sets to people at work. Maybe you could post an ad on the bulletin board at work if they have something like that. It's always worked for me.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirka
I ordered one last night as well, should arrive Friday! I should have waited until my new credenza comes in (early December) since now I have to move my 36" XBR CRT to another room without its stand that has casters; but I couldn't wait. That bad boy is heavy.
I have to admit, not having to move the old TV was a huge motivator, so I hear you!

But in my case, I gave it to my parents.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
I've got my 50HD7UY coming tomorrow(thursday). I got the mount package at Visual Apex but now I don't think I want it since I found a nice Sanus mount VMPL50B that looks much better than the one I ordered from VA and has this "virtual tilt" feature that lets you just tilt it by grabbing the top of the TV. No reaching behind and spinning knobs. Problem is, if I order a new mount, I don't think it will be delivered before the weekend, then what the hell will I do. Lean it on the wall? I'm kinda pissed I didn't think the mount through before I ordered. Any one have the Sanus mount?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I just got my 50phd7uy on Monday. For everyone who has one on order or is about to order one: you are definitely not going to be dissappointed. This thing kick's the proverbial butt of my last plasma who's major name brand I shall refrain from revealing in order to protect the feelings of those who have one.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL. Nice.

Unit is near, should be delivered tomorrow post-noon. I'm taking the day off to wait for it ... so close!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JuiceRocket

42PWD6UY Settings File thread to give you an idea of other users settings,

Are you seeing the FULL image you paid for!? , which is _Michaelangelo_s thread to assist in overscan,

Don't forget "Hammer's Settings of Extreme Visual Bliss"

And last, but absolutely not the least, be sure to check out the "Steaming Rat," or "Rich's Method For Achieving A More Realistic Image... to assist in your calibration process.

-JR
JR is absolutely correct. Read the settings posts (and Bruzzi's FAQ) because the out of box video settings for my 50in 7uy was unacceptable. Tweaking per the posts above made significant improvements.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, panny arrived this afternoon (had a snafu with the shipping that caused a day delay). I was supposed to be there to inspect it when it arrived, but 3rd party shipper didn't call ahead of time... luckily my roommate was there and signed for it, however, she didn't inspect for damage... so when I arrived home I went ahead and uncrated and inspected... no problems, glass intact and not scratched.

Went ahead and started to look for screen defects (after playing with things to get oriented and find a white screen... had to settle on the sweeping white bar / screen saver, but whatever it works). Sadly, my TV has two defects. :( They are however, odd as far as I can tell. (BTW anyone have a good way to get a white screen without hooking the thing to my PC?)

1) I thought I had a dead sub-pixel (looks to be blue because I can see the green and the red on either side of the black space). But the weird thing is I can see the dead space even when the TV is off (or has no signal). If you look closely at the screen, it has alternating rows of grey (plasma pixels) and black lines (the infamous screen door). Well this particular guy is in the row of grey (obviously) but I can clearly see where there is a missing grey spot- even when the TV is off/unpowered/no signal.

To me this is odd, since I'd think a dead pixel would be indistinguishable from a regular pixel when the system is off?? VA thought that was weird too, never heard of it before.

I was wondering if maybe this is some kind of supposed to be there thing (like the ground wires on a Sony CRT)? It's almost directly in the middle of the TV horizontally and about 1/3 of the way top from the top vertically. Anyone else have something like this??

2) Almost directly below the dead pixel (for lack of a better description) and slightly to the right, in the bottom 1/3 of the screen there is what I'm almost sure is some sort of dirt or particle between the outer screen and the plasma pixels. It obscures the pixels behind it (which light up) and when I look at it from an oblique/low angle (relative to the orientation of the screen) I can clearly see it floating in space. It's not on the screen since I can't clean it off, so I'm pretty sure about it being sandwiched in there somehow. Matt and VA joking suggested it's the blue sub-pixel from above that fell out and ended up there. :p I was moderately amused by that thought.

Anyway, I hope to get these issues resolved with a new screen, but again the hassle element rears it's head. But I'd still like to know in my head that I have a perfect screen- especially one that I paid $5k for.

Oh that reminds me, before the set was delivered VA put up an AVS package on their website (which I got with the stand) which would have saved me $100 on my order (this is literally two days after my order and before the TV was delivered). Matt is looking into if they can refund me that $100, which would be sweet on top of getting a new screen. Here's to crossing my fingers on the new one and that they also agree these defects are returnable (pretty much already sure of that after talking with Matt at VA).

Unfortunately I'm going to Japan tomorrow for a week, so I can't talk to the guy at VA that handles quality issues until then. On the plus side, there is 30 days to settle that stuff, so we'll work it out when I get back from Japan.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.