AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony receiver that I use for my 7.2 theater, brand new. I have set it up, but as soon as I turn it on, I get a loud hum from my subwoofer (only have 1 right now). I tried everything, but finally sent the receiver back in exchange for a new one figuring mine was defective. Got the new one and set it up tonight, plugged it in, and... SAME THING. This time I just started unplugging things until I got to the source. Any time ANY HDMI cable is plugged in, I get the hum. Doesn't matter which HDMI cable, any of them will do it. My sub cable does not run along side any of the HDMI cables. I don't know where the interference is coming from. I just touch any HDMI cable to and HDMI port on the receiver and the hum comes on the sub. Strangest thing I've ever seen.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
32,849 Posts
I have a Sony receiver that I use for my 7.2 theater, brand new. I have set it up, but as soon as I turn it on, I get a loud hum from my subwoofer (only have 1 right now). I tried everything, but finally sent the receiver back in exchange for a new one figuring mine was defective. Got the new one and set it up tonight, plugged it in, and... SAME THING. This time I just started unplugging things until I got to the source. Any time ANY HDMI cable is plugged in, I get the hum. Doesn't matter which HDMI cable, any of them will do it. My sub cable does not run along side any of the HDMI cables. I don't know where the interference is coming from. I just touch any HDMI cable to and HDMI port on the receiver and the hum comes on the sub. Strangest thing I've ever seen.

Any suggestions?
Do you have a cable box connected to this system? If so, disconnect the cable companies coaxial cable and see if the hum goes away.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Subwoofers can have weird problems like this because they are frequently on a different circuit from everything else. If the subwoofer is on a different circuit, try running an extension cord and have the sub plugged into the same outlet as everything else. If the hum goes away, the problem is likely due to having different ground level voltages on the two outlets.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Subwoofers can have weird problems like this because they are frequently on a different circuit from everything else. If the subwoofer is on a different circuit, try running an extension cord and have the sub plugged into the same outlet as everything else. If the hum goes away, the problem is likely due to having different ground level voltages on the two outlets.
+1

And if you do find this to be the culprit, this ground loop isolator is working for me: http://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-1-Noise-Isolator/dp/B000K50HJE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts