AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this possible? I was looking in my SR-HD5 and it has the same connections as the SD1 for the 1394 port. I have an SR-SD1 sitting around collecting dust. What about the firmware? Would it work? Right now the firmware is 5085 (not connected to a dish). Lemme have your suggestions...

Trevor_2k

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
It would be an interesting experiment! Though I doubt the HD5 firmware suports using the 1394 port, then again one never knows till one tries. If the firmware does recognise the port, as I recall it only will work with one particular brand/model of D-VHS VCR that is dicontuinued ( mits I belive ).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DTC mac
It would be an interesting experiment! Though I doubt the HD5 firmware suports using the 1394 port, then again one never knows till one tries. If the firmware does recognise the port, as I recall it only will work with one particular brand/model of D-VHS VCR that is dicontuinued ( mits I belive ).
probably the source code for the firmware contains a section like this:

void config ()

{

if (supoort_cable_monopoly==true)

{

allow_multiple_antennas = 0;

}

else

{

allow_multiple_antennas = 1;

}

if (afraid_of_lawyers==true)

{

enable_black_bar_option = 0;

}

else

{

enable_black_bar_option = 1;

}

if (planned_obselescence == 1)

{

enable_1394_upgarde = 0;

}

else

{

enable_1394_upgrade = 1;

}

}

however the folks at Mits have failed to recoginize the following piece of code that appears nowhere in the firmware, but which rather firmly exists in the mind of many of us here at AVS and doubtlessly at large.

if (!enable_black_bar_option || !enable_1394_upgrade

|| !allow_multiple_antennans)

{

customer_loyalty = 0;

}

·
Registered
192 Posts
But seriously. I took a look at the SR-SD1 that I also have gathering dust, and sure enough it does have a firewire port! Now I suppose the first question to consider is whether or not this port does anything to begin with, even in the SR-SD1, else maybe it's just vaporeware in that box also?

I plugged the receiver into the wall and hooked up a firewire cable to my PC, and voila - absolutely nothing. Tried doing an "add new hardware" scan in Windows XP - hoping that Windoze would at least detect the device as some kind of unknown device or better still as an SR-SD1 receiver. That would at least be encouraging, even if only to see a message asking for a floppy or CD with appropriate (though non-existant) drivers.

No such luck. So the question remains: Does the port do anything at all? If I had a D-VHS deck would I be able to do something with this receiver, even if it is only standard definition?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.