AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this one early and of the ~35 HDDVD's I own, it's the only one that takes this long to load. After about 90 seconds of it "reading" the disc the player will then read "HD DVD" for another 30 seconds, followed by "Play" for another 30-45 seconds and then eventually load into the menus.

I'm guessing it's probably too early for most to check (and even then, it's a movie most will not buy), but I figured I'd ask before I go through trying to exchange it and only find that the same problem is happening.

EDIT: If it matters, I'm using the HD-A1

·
Registered
2,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofdec7 /forum/post/0

I found this one early and of the ~35 HDDVD's I own, it's the only one that takes this long to load. After about 90 seconds of it "reading" the disc the player will then read "HD DVD" for another 30 seconds, followed by "Play" for another 30-45 seconds and then eventually load into the menus.

I'm guessing it's probably too early for most to check (and even then, it's a movie most will not buy), but I figured I'd ask before I go through trying to exchange it and only find that the same problem is happening.

EDIT: If it matters, I'm using the HD-A1

Yes, Weinstien movies take awhile to load on the A1. On the other hand they load quickly on the A2 and Xbox as far as I know.

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
how about a review?
also ive read that it is normal with weinstein movies even though none of mines take longer but i really dont pay attention i usually pop in the movie and make some popcorn and then go back to the movie

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah ok, didn't know that!

I just tried Clerks 2 and had the same issue

I never really pay attention to how long it takes since it's usually been at about the same length. This one (and now "these two") just seemed as if they were defective because they were taking so long.

As far as a review goes: I bought the DVD on its release date (and 2 days later it gets announced on HDDVD!) The movie gets a lot of negative comments thrown at it but I actually found it to be interesting and very entertaining. It had a few scares in it and the audio was great on the DVD. I'd give it about a 3.5/5 -- I was disappointed in the ending as it all just seemed to stop and left me saying "What? This isn't really over already, is it?" -- other than that I did enjoy it.

I havent had a chance to watch the HDDVD yet but after just doing a quick quality check I was a bit disappointed. The movie looked good on DVD and the upgrade seemed minimal on HDDVD. The movie uses very dull/muted colors and is shot almost entirely in dark scenes so there is a bit of grain. I just didn't get the great sharpness that I've seen on recent movies like Crank and Transporter 2. It does have a TrueHD soundtrack which should be fun to listen to, but I can't really recommend it as a 'double dip' for the slight quality increase. For someone who hasent seen it yet, check out the trailer or rent the movie to see if you like it since (as I've found out) it's not for everybody.

·
Registered
316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofdec7 /forum/post/0

I havent had a chance to watch the HDDVD yet but after just doing a quick quality check I was a bit disappointed. The movie looked good on DVD and the upgrade seemed minimal on HDDVD. The movie uses very dull/muted colors and is shot almost entirely in dark scenes so there is a bit of grain. I just didn't get the great sharpness that I've seen on recent movies like Crank and Transporter 2. It does have a TrueHD soundtrack which should be fun to listen to, but I can't really recommend it as a 'double dip' for the slight quality increase.

Pulse has a TrueHD soundtrack? Thats news to me.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Yes, it definitely has a TrueHD soundtrack. The packaging doesn't indicate it but it's there.

I watched it last night and it looks exactly like what I remember seeing in the theater. As the OP states, the movie has a very muted color palette. The image is very sharp but it doesn't have that 3-d look of other movies... not sure if it's just the wait the film was shot or if its the avcmpg4 codec that it uses.

The soundtrack has some serious bass in places, particularly around the 1:13 mark during a prolonged scene in a computer lab. I thought my ears were going to burst. The TrueHD soundtrack itself is good, but I think it will disappoint if you try to compare it to something like Batman Begins. Again, this has to do with the sound design of the movie (I think).

There's something wacky that I like about Pulse even though it's panned by most.

BTW, seemed to load just fine on my XA1. I did have a few 1-2 second stuttering issues throughout the movie though.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had the problem with long loading times. I also had to change from the TrueHD track, to the regular DD+ track, because I had some problems with some skipping/freezing. Changing to DD+ seemed to cure it. BTW, first HD DVD I've had any problems with. Boring movie, though.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Did they include the (original) alternate ending? Apparently, when they made the movie, they ended it along the lines of the original Japanese version. Unfortunately test groups found the ending too depressing, so they went back and changed it. I haven't seen this yet, but my copy is being deliovered today.

J

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
OK, I just watched this last night. Yes, the movie was filmed with lots of dark scenes and blue lighting, butit did seem somewhat sharp, but not spectacular. I liked the movie more than I expected to, but then, I liked the original too. In fact, I think watching the original goes a long way to help understand this movie. And for the record, the True HD track did bottom out my sub.

J

·
Registered
3,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey /forum/post/0

Am I really the only one who does not experience problems or increased load times with Weinstein titles?

I didn't have any problems, and if the load time was slower, it was only by a couple of seconds-same with Matador too.

J

·
Registered
105 Posts
yeah, i picked this up yesterday and watched it last night. i was suprised about the TrueHD track when i saw it on the menus. i put that track on, and a few minutes in, it started stuttering (at first i was worried, then i thought it was part of the film) and a few minutes later, it froze up on a menu. BUT - my player also locked up the other night when i was watching Superman II from Netflix... argh...

i was worried about the long load times, but it seriously didn't seem to take much longer than all my other HD-DVDs... which on my A1 is about forever.

waiting for that 3G player to come out someday...

pretty good movie. i was surprised. not as good as kurosawa's (kiyoshi), but not bad for an american remake (which is saying a lot, since i'm very picky about my horror films).

·
Registered
2,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey /forum/post/0

Am I really the only one who does not experience problems or increased load times with Weinstein titles?

I wouldn't know, I only have Matador from Weinstien and have only played it in my Xbox360 and have not had a chance to run it on my A1. That said it seems the only people having issues with Wienstien movies is the A1 family. Probably meaning their is a benifit with going from the NEC drive to the Toshiba. I am getting 2 more tonight and one tommorow. One of them will certainly make it into my A1 this week.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topweasel /forum/post/0

I wouldn't know, I only have Matador from Weinstien and have only played it in my Xbox360 and have not had a chance to run it on my A1. That said it seems the only people having issues with Wienstien movies is the A1 family. Probably meaning their is a benifit with going from the NEC drive to the Toshiba. I am getting 2 more tonight and one tommorow. One of them will certainly make it into my A1 this week.

I've got an A1, and no real problems.

J

·
Registered
2,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J /forum/post/0

I've got an A1, and no real problems.

J

Again, I wasn't saying that all A1 family players have this problem but that this problem is a problem that only A1 family users seem to have.

It would be interesting to see if problem is something that only affects certain production cycles of the A1 players.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.