Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this post is misplaced…

When viewing NYC TWC DTV channels using s-video, all background and some foreground images on my Samsung TSK2792F pulse (shift back and forth), rapidly. TWC has replaced the cable box, checked the signal, and is unsure how to proceed. The pulsing does not occur on NTSC channels, nor does it appear using composite connections. It is also unique to digital cable and does not happen with DVD or VHS. Any suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated. Perhaps an incompatibility between the Explorer 2100 and my set?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Sounds like bad horizontal sync. Have you tried a different S-Video cable?

------------------

HiDefDave

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Welcome to the forums, sg12. I'm a bit confused about the terms you use:

DTV. This is "digital TV" to Time Warner, which they also call digital cable. It's simply compressed standard NTSC channels (about 10 of them in the space of one analog channel). You can read more about TW's digital cable here . It has nothing to do with HDTV.

You can view both the lower-numbered analog cable channels and the higher-numbered digital-cable channels (NTSC) with your 2100 digital cable converter via the S-video, composite, and RF outputs into your TV.

The pulsing you describe can only apply to NTSC channels because that's all your 2100 converter decodes. (If you're trying to tune in the two HDTV channels, CBS and HBO, Time Warner NYC transmits, please indicate that's the case. These of course are 'true' DTV. Tuning these channels doesn't involve your 2100 converter at all).

If you plan on viewing the additional HDTV/SDTV channels TWC NYC also sends out in 256 QAM format, you'll need to rent a 2100HD converter. Bob Watson at TWC's corporate NYC office (212-598-7363) has been arranging 2100HD installations. Hope this helps. -- John

Edited Add: Just searched out your set's specs. Should have done that first. You have an 'extended-definition' digital TV, which converts 480i to 480p (interlaced to progressive), but it's not an HDTV set. The deinterlacing circuits should treat 480i (non-progressive) signals from your converter the same as those from your DVD player. If your feeding in a progressive DVD signal, and it's stable, that suggests you have a malfunctioning or poor-quality deinterlace circuit in your set.

[This message has been edited by John Mason (edited 07-26-2001).]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies and sorry for my novice errors. After testing three new SA2100 boxes (all of which produced the same pulsing effect), I was convinced that the television was at fault. Still, without my knowledge, TWC set up another service appointment to exchange the converter. By chance, the tech brought only an SA2000 -- which eliminated the pulsing. Though not entirely equivalent (there is no screensaver function for the Music Choice channels, for example), I am very much relieved (and have since confirmed that the pulsing is also absent on at least one other SA2000).

John, I do still have a question regarding HDTV on my particular set, however (which will hopefully justify this post's placement in this forum): though marketed as an EDTV monitor, the set accepts 1080i input (see http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/013675.html for mention of this). A more recent model, the TSL2795HF, is marketed as an HDTV monitor though both units share identical functions, manuals, etc. Can you explain what the difference might be (a Samsung representative was unable to) and is my set not, then, HDTV capable? While we're talking standards -- can any 4:3 direct view really be marketed as HDTV at all given their often discussed limitations. Thanks and sorry for the length of the post.

I think I can answer part of my own question. EDTV monitors are "supposed" to accept all 18 digital formats. But the new HD model still only displays 800 lines horizontal and so does mine. How can this be anywhere close to HD standards?

[This message has been edited by sg12 (edited 08-14-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.