AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the Pioneer VSX-520-K at Best Buy the other day. I got the Pioneer home and set everything up and my speakers have never sounded better. The only problem is that now my sub is severely lacking. I've gone through the receiver's menu and messed with the settings but nothing seems to help. I have the sub hooked up with just a generic coaxial cable. The sub i have is an older Aiwa.

Any help?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
It will help diagnose if you describe the speaker settings being used. Large/small, crossover, gain trim.

Also, what sound modes are you using, stereo, PLII, discrete 5.1, etc.

How was the system calibrated? Automatic or SPL meter with test tones?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not the OP, but I'm having the same issue, new -520, hooked to a pair of old Infinity SM112's and a powered Radio Shack sub, no output to the sub in any mode. Speakers are set to Large, subwoofer is set to Plus, crossover is set at 100hz (but have tried it at all three settings) Sub and cable worked fine on previous receiver. Have not gotten as far as trying to calibrate everything, still waiting on a additional component cable for my PS2. Any ideas?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis
Not the OP, but I'm having the same issue, new -520, hooked to a pair of old Infinity SM112's and a powered Radio Shack sub, no output to the sub in any mode. Speakers are set to Large, subwoofer is set to Plus, crossover is set at 100hz (but have tried it at all three settings) Sub and cable worked fine on previous receiver. Have not gotten as far as trying to calibrate everything, still waiting on a additional component cable for my PS2. Any ideas?
I guess Plus mode means the mains run full range and the sub is added in parallel. But still might be useful to try setting the mains to small, just to see.

Also, does the Pioneer have an internal test noise generator that includes the subwoofer output? If so, any noise present?

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler /forum/post/19652975

I guess Plus mode means the mains run full range and the sub is added in parallel. But still might be useful to try setting the mains to small, just to see.

Also, does the Pioneer have an internal test noise generator that includes the subwoofer output? If so, any noise present?

According to the documentation, there is a test tone generator, I'll give that a try when I get home, and the Plus setting is for the following: "Choose the PLUS setting if you want the subwoofer to output bass sound continuously or you want deeper bass (the bass frequencies that would normally come out the front and center speakers are also routed to the subwoofer)."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.