AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase a Motorola DCT5100 w/ Firewire? I tried searching the whole forum here for an answer but I couldn't find a similar question.

My cable company (Insight) uses the DCT5100 for receiving HD programming but the boxes they have do not have Firewire output. The box just has a label on the back but there is no port there. I have the JVC 30K recorder and want to record HD programming (like HBO, Showtime) but need the 5100 w/ Firewire. I am using a MyHD card to record OTA programming and then to output via Firewire to my JVC recorder.

I have spoken with various people at Insight and was surprised to be told that if I could purchase a 5100 w/ Firewire on my own that they would do whatever they do to get it to work on their system.

However, I can't find any place that sells these boxes. Are they even available to regular consumers and if so can anyone direct me to one of these places? I tried contacting Motorola directly but I haven't received any response yet.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
This website FAQ indicates that Firewire will probably not be supported on this platform (see down towards the bottom), but if the HD cable PNP MOU gets codified by the FCC and cable MSOs have to supply Firewire-capable STBs to customer on request as specificed, that could change pretty quickly!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/miatasm/HT/5100FAQ.htm

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveStrorm
However, I can't find any place that sells these boxes. Are they even available to regular consumers and if so can anyone direct me to one of these places? I tried contacting Motorola directly but I haven't received any response yet.
Things to consider:

- To allow a 5100 w/Firewire to work, a significant software upgrade must be implemented at the cableco head end. It's very unlikely any cableco would do this for a single end user.

- To my knowledge, not one cableco in the US or Canada has ordered a 5100 w/Firewire from Motorola. This is solely due to concerns from content owners and the MPAA.

- I've only heard of one cableco in the US that offers it's customers an opportunity to buy a 5100 at retail, as opposed to renting one, and again, I strongly doubt a Firewire equipped version exists at the retail level.

- I have an extremely strong suspicion that even if you did get a hold of a 5100 w/Firewire, the upper management at Insight would over rule the "various people at Insight" you have spoken to, and not allow the Firewire to be activated.

Let me do a little research & find the details on the 5100 retail info.

Also, you could look into Shaw Cable in Canada. They sell the 5100, perhaps you could special order one with Firewire. Here is the list of retailers for Shaw, http://www.shaw.ca/Tmplt2.asp?PageID=306

they offer HDTV in Vancouver, Calgary and Saskatoon, so that’s where I would try.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Ok, after an extensive search, the winner is:

Cox Cable in Omaha, NE has customers buy the HD STB from the Nebraska Furniture Mart, 800-359-1200.

The last reports I found said they had sold the HDD-200, and were waiting on the Moto 5100. Call 'em.

·
Registered
45,617 Posts
Oh, please let us know if you have any success with your plan.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
Ok, after an extensive search, the winner is:

Cox Cable in Omaha, NE has customers buy the HD STB from the Nebraska Furniture Mart, 800-359-1200.

LOL :p :p :p

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ken H,

Thanks for all that information! Well, it sounds like a wild goose chase, but what the hey. I will let you know how it goes.

BTW, what kind of upgrade are you saying the cable company will need to do for the Firewire to work with the 5100? This sounds like where I may get stuck if I can get the box.

Also, I contacted Insight's customer support department via e-mail to ask about getting the box w/ Firewire. Their c.s. department forwarded my question to their "head end" department (whatever that is). That is where I was told if I could get the box, they would program the card or something and give me the codes to make it work on their system. I suppose if I do get the box and Insight won't follow through to get it to work, there is always eBay to recoup at least some of the money.

Oh . . . amillians . . . . thanks for the link to that FAQ page. Some interesting info there.

·
Registered
45,617 Posts
Also have learned Cox in Phoenix lets customers buy the 5100, but I don't know where/how.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Ken,

There are a number of local retailers, including Best Buy, that sell the 5100 for use with Cox Communications. I don't believe they offer the firewire model for sale, but I could be wrong. Cox in Phoenix is so far behind the ball that I would doubt the technology would be installed on their end to allow this STB to work. To show their ineptness, despite the contract with ESPN-HD, Phoenix has yet to offer the channel (although they announced it will be available in May).

·
Registered
45,617 Posts
Maybe you could buy the 5100 as is and get Moto to add the Firewire, for a price? Just thinking out loud....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.