AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at 55' and 60'' LED LCD tvs. I would like it to be between $600-$1000. My main concern is picture quality. I have no need for Smart or 3D functionality (although it seems everything in the range has smart capability, whther you want it or now). Also, the room I am putting it in, is pretty bright and has multiple windows, so I would like something that performs well under those circumstances. I would prefer the refresh rate to be 120htz...

So far Ive been leaning towards 2014 models. VIZIO M552i-B2 55-Inch , LG Electronics 55LF6000 55-Inch and Sharp LC-60LE660 60-Inch Aquos seem to offer what im looking for, but Its tough to differentiate the differences.

Any advice would be aprrciated!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did I post this thread in the wrong place.

If so I apologize. i am new to the forums.

If i should post this somewhere else, I would appreciate some direction...THANKS!

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Don’t buy a 55 foot screen. That is way too big. :)

If you really want good picture quality then you are eventually going to want 4K. The 4K won't make the 1080p look worse. It will just allow you to enjoy true 4K when the content increases.

There is only one current model year TV that is 55”(inches), with 4K, good upscaling, excellent contrast, good bright room capabilities, near perfect input latency, and good motion interpolation. That is the new 2015 Vizio M55-C2.

http://www.vizio.com/tvs/mseries/m55c2.html

It is $948 at Walmart right now. If you don’t want to buy it there then use this photo to get Best Buy to price match it when they get their stock in sometime later this week.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
It is bad time to be buying right now. A lot of changes. 2K to 4K, HDR, WCG, HDMI 2.0, Super MHL etc. Your budget is on the low end for a 55-60" display, but I would wait for September and try to pick up a 2015 Vizio 60M or 55P. They are at least 4K and are full array with local dimming for improved blacks.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
The best of that bunch is the Sharp 60" 660u without quesiton. Its a good choice. I think I saw this on sale at Best Buy today.

The other 2 you listed will have less than stellar black levels. Avoid.

Others 2 consider the 2014 Vizio M602i and Samsung 55" 55H6350 & 60" 60H6350...both of which may be found on clearance these days.

Sharp 60" 660u
Vizio 60" M602i
Samsung 60" H6350
Samsung 55" H6350

All 3 60" use Sharp panels. The 660u panel is superior to the Vizio. Slightly later generation X-Gen ASV non-Quattron panel. Not sure about the Samsung 60" H6350.

The 55" Samsung will have a Samsung S-PVA panel. Also top notch.

The Vizio will have superior Local Dimming backlight for the best black levels.
The Samsung & Sharp will have superior color reproduction.
The Samsung will have superior motion resolution.

These are nuanced differences. All 3 will give you above average image quality. If money is a primary concern. Find a deal on one of these and jump on it.

I know the Samsungs are on sale at Best Buy currently.
You may find a refurb deal on the Vizio at Walmart.com.

·
Registered
729 Posts
It is bad time to be buying right now. A lot of changes. 2K to 4K, HDR, WCG, HDMI 2.0, Super MHL etc. Your budget is on the low end for a 55-60" display, but I would wait for September and try to pick up a 2015 Vizio 60M or 55P. They are at least 4K and are full array with local dimming for improved blacks.
Majority of Panels this year on the mid-high end are compliant with HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 full bandwith 18Gbps, which is all you need for HDR/WCG. Now granted, I will agree between Dolby Vision, QDF-Samsung proprietary tech Nano Crystals and the like, it does get pretty confusing. Ultimately they will be doing the same thing though.

I'd say 2015 is THE YEAR to upgrade if you can't wait any longer for your Audio/Video needs. Any improvements in the next 2-3 years won't be significant enough to matter, as BT.2020 is 5 years off easy since we are just now getting DCI-P3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow- Thanks for the info!

Thank you to everyone for giving such great feedback. Im looking into all recommendations. While Taking into consideration the comments in regard to 4k, I went looking in Best Buy and PC Richards today.

PC Richards had a Samsung UN50HU6950 - 50in 4k with 60hz refresh for $875...Seems like a really good deal, but the fact its 60hz scares me a bit...No sure how 4k translates with refresh rate...Also, its smaller at 50in, but the 55"+ in 4k are out of my range...

Also, they had a Samsung UN55H6350 for $715, which also seems like a real good deal...

Any input on these options?

And if I could find a 55 foot tv, I would mount it to the side of my house!!

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Id go for the extra 5 inches and get the 6350 for $100 less. It's a solid all rounder, above average performer. Great for anything you throw at it.

Here are some good reviews.

Rtings

Lee Niekirk

Here is a review of the 40" version of the H6950

Lee Niekirk

Go for the 50" if you want to use it as a computer monitor. If not, Id go with the larger 6350.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The new 55inch 2015 Vizio M Series which has the new HDMI 2.0 and 4k is $1000 on Amazon right now. If you buy 4k make sure to get a set with the latest stuff. I am not sure the 2014's have hdmi 2.0 and the latest stuff.

Reactions: EscapeVelocity

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Also, its smaller at 50in, but the 55"+ in 4k are out of my range...
I gave you an example of a great NEW 55" 4K TV completely within your price range. Best Buy should have that TV in stock this weekend and you can probably get them to price match it with the picture I posted.

·
Registered
170 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts