Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I've decided to bite the bullet and buy a projector (second hand, I'm not a millionaire) to round out my HT setup. My #1 requirement is that it will handle Australian HDTV. To my understanding the Aus standard is similar to ATSC 1080i except that we use 50Hz rather then 60.

From my understanding that means the projector needs to be able to scan lower (around 28kHz) but the bandwidth requirements would be slightly lower then ATSC HDTV.

I've done a bit of research and searching on ebay to see what I might be able to get to do the job and it seems like my only option will be to import a projector (unless someone can recommend a seller here in Australia I should contact). I've currently enquired to a few sellers about the Sony VPH-1272Q and one seller regarding a Sony G70.

The Sony G70 is obviously significantly more expensive but from my understanding the 1272 may not do HDTV, at least not to the same quality as the G70.

The G70 at about US$4k is definitely the upper limit of my budget.

Anyway, I look forward to some expert opinions/feedback.

In summary, keeping in mind I want a projector that will last me at least 5 years (preferably 20) and do Australian HDTV ([email protected]). Line doubled HDTV would be a bonus if at alll possible:

- Should I save my money and go with a 1272, or some other projector?

- Should I go all out and buy the G70?

- Should I spend a few months shopping around for the best buy on the G70 or another projector in that range?

Thanks

Jon

·
Registered
89 Posts
If the crt time for g70 is less than 2000hr, and for the price of 4K, it's a bargain. I just bought one used with new tube for just over 7K. It's awesome in performance and can meet all the requirement you need. This machine is known to be

quite reliable. Just go for it! It's a 8 incher, well above 1272!

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have owned several projectors. My last unit was a 1272 with about 3000hours on it, and it produced a good picture.

I have owned my g-70 for about 6 months and absolutely love the unit. I am very glad that I made the switch, and it was worth every penny. It cost about 7k with low hours.

The 1272, although good, does not even come close to the g-70 in terms of PQ, brightness or flexibility.

Forget about the 1272 and save for the g-70!:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CRT hours on the G70 is 2652

Is that a concern? Obviously it's a factor in the cost but beyond that...

I had assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the CRTs on the G70 would be rated at 10,000hrs?

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
As long at the tubes don't shown signs of burned in image problem then 2600 hours isn't a problem. New tubes are about $900 each and a retube of the G70 in a few years will virtually give it the same performance as a new unit. My G70 has about 2000 hours and looks quite good.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Low hours CAN be a problem when the previous owner did not alligned the projector correctly.

Meaning when looking at the fosfor, remove the lens units (on the G70 only 4 screws) and look at the fosfor. When the wear is exactly in the middle to the borders, the projector is save to buy.

When you see for example a small wear area or an area that is shifted to an extreem limit you will see that in your picture.

With small wear the projector was previous mounted too far away, and the fosfor is not used optimal, will result in lighter areas at the left and right and top and bottom.

When it's oneven, you can expect lighter areas at the borders of the picture.

Greetings from Holland,

Frank

·
Registered
504 Posts
I agree that 2600 hours should not be an issue. Call the Sony service center closest to the projector, they may have some history if it has been repaired.

I HIGHLY SUGGEST that you check the CRTs' thoroughly, I have seen units that do not show burn when looking at the CRTs', but show on a pure wight projection. Have the seller put up a pure white screen, or a sky scene from Vertical Limit, and use the RGB size buttons to run the pic to the limits...then you can see if there is any damage.

The issue with burn is not only the burnt image, but the lack of color balance and focus.

Look twice, buy once! :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish it was that simple. It's in another country and would cost me AU$1000 or more to go check it out.

I do have a friend I trust who has agreed to check it out for me though. I'll have to make up some detailed instructions (I have the Installers/Operators manuals for it) to let him know what I'd want checked.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I presume we're talking about the place in Melb with the G70 for $14K AUD? If so, I'd suggest you seriously consider the NEC XG 75(1a) that they may have as well. That unit is basically an XG 135/110 - it just has a lower maximum scan rate.

Frank is right when he suggests removing the lenses of these units to visually inspect the CRTs. This is the absolute easiest way to inspect for burns and usage wear. Do not believe what you are told. Believe what you can see!

If the owner makes the claim of 'no burns', I'd insist on having the lenses off and making a visual inspection. If he declines this - and still claims no burns - I'd walk and start looking elsewhere.

Eventually you'll find just what you're looking for :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hehe No I'm not. I wouldn't have to spend AU$1k to check that one out and couldn't afford to spend that anyway.

The one I'm hoping to get should work out around AU$9-10k by the time I ship it in and pay tax on it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The G70 is a very good projector, quiet, bright, good resolution/bandwidth support. Probably better than my 1292, definitely quieter.

To check condition of tubes get the guy selling it to set the projector to project the white warmup screen. When looking at the projected image you will see the off-white wear area of the CRTs. Colour ranges from just visible/light yellow(light wear) to very dark yellow/brown colour(very bad wear). You can also turn both brightness & contrast down to 0 and with sunglasses look into the tubes and see the wear, blue tube should show the most. Expect a slight amount of wear with those amount of hours, if the projector has not been abused it should look quite good. Shame your not in Brisbane, it is normally easier to show this stuff in person.

Even though the G70 has a very high RGB bandwidth, I don't think it's resolution support is quite high enough for 1080p - line doubled HDTV. The 1292 & G90 can do 1080p. I haven't seen the difference myself, so not sure if you should worry.

HDTV will still look good, actually HDTV looks good even on 12xx series.

One thing to note is that with a higher end projector like G70, you will have to feed it a nice high resolution image. It will make scan lines etc very noticable. Recommend HTPC for high quality DVD & TV(eventually HDTV when we get cards) or line doubler/scaler or progressive scan dvd player etc.

I'm surprised you haven't found a reasonable projector in Aus for a reasonable price. I picked up my 1292 for a very reasonable price, a few reasonable Sony projectors about, but don't know of any G70 PJs going for good price here at the moment.

Have you seen www.projectorspecs.com for info on Sony CRT projectors, manuals etc. And of course search this forum.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
The white warmup screen on a G70 may not show crt wear; this can be resized so that is does not fill the crt phosphor. The suggestion to display a full white test pattern (signal generator, AVIA dvd, etc.) and crank the size out to the max is the best one for this.

William

·
Registered
510 Posts
The G70 will do 1080P and very beautifull (but you WILL have to do a very good job on focus).

When comparing my PSM-1 to the HT-PC, I was trying different settings on the HT-PC to match the 1200P of the Cinematrix.

I went all the way up to 1920x1080 (on a geforce and ATI), and converged this to my best, and used this to compare the two products, and I must say I never saw a better picture from the HT-PC than at that resolution, so the G70 will get to 1080P.

(still prefer the PSM-1 by the way :D).

Greetings from Holland,

Frank

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.