AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have read the sticky thread and searched about quite a bit but haven't been able to find an answer to my situation that is exactly on point; if it's out there in the forum, and I've failed to locate it, I apologize in advance.

Current set up: Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000s up front, ProCenter 1000, ProMonitor 800 rears, ProSub 1000.  Denon 1913 AVR.  fronts are hooked up through the sub, utilizing its crossover and leaving the LFE output on the AVR free.  (I know most folks say the AVR's crossover will do a better job than the sub's, but I've tried it both ways, with the proper small/large settings for the fronts, run Audyssy, had the cover knob properly adjusted on the sub when using LFE, etc.  This is the set up recommended by the Def Tech when pairing the ProMonitors with the ProSub, and I don't understand why, but it just sounds better than using the LFE; bass was very muddy otherwise)

Room size: 14' x 17' and 9(?) ft ceilings.  HOWEVER, the rear of the room is an open stairwell and an archway open to the dining room (which is open to the kitchen, which is open to the laundry room....), and another wall has an opening to a hallway.  Basically, there are only a couple of doors in the whole house, so technically (if I understand how that is all figured), the area to pressurize is probably something absurd, like 10k+ ft3.

Budget: $800 is stretching it, but would be less painful if I were to part with the ProSub.  Could perhaps rationalize another upgrade some long way down the road.

Desired outcome:  More low-end when watching movies, as well as tighter, more musical bass on the low kick drum and bass guitar, etc. when listening to music.  Ideally, I would like a system that excels at both movies and music, but music is more important, given that something has to give with existing room and WAF constraints. 

Aesthetics/placement: Finally, the sub needs to be reasonably attractive, as WAF and room-related constraints continue to play a large role (I'd have been on my way to building a PSB 5.x Image system with towers up front in a dream world, but I digress).  Also, placement will be limited; Current sub is about 9 feet in front of/on opposite wall of couch that is MLP (sub is to left of center).  New sub could go there, or next to current sub; otherwise, would need to be in front left or back left corner.

Question: I want to know what is the best use of my audio-purchase dollars:  sell the slightly used ProSub 1000 (get, what, maybe $300, give or take shipping?)  and get a sub that will reach down lower?  Or leave the ProSub in place to handle the mid-bass, and connect a second ported sub to handle the absolute low end? (Had also considered getting a 2nd ProSub and hooking one each to the L and R channels, but do not believe this will address the system's current shortcomings).  Folks at SVS recommended the PB1000 to go with my speakers, but given the dimensions I'm working with and to future proof a bit, I was thinking of either the PB2000 or PC12-NSD.  For what it's worth, Hsu recommended the VTF3 Mk4.  I am open to other subs, but Hsu and SVS seem to be universally well regarded, and the SVS return policy/free shipping is very attractive to me.  Selling the Def Tech Sub would also open the possibility of a sealed sub (SVS SB2000?), but it seems like this might be overmatched by  the size of the room

Sorry for the wall of text, any advice is appreciated.  I will try to upload layout and/or pics if requested, as well as answer with any info I left out.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I would do two things:

- upgrade to the ProCenter2000

- upgrade your sub (selling it will give more budget to get a better new sub)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240  /t/1525584/purchase-advice-replace-prosub-1000-or-add-2nd-sub#post_24561736

I would do two things:

- upgrade to the ProCenter2000

- upgrade your sub (selling it will give more budget to get a better new sub)
Thanks.  I had almost immediate (slight) regret at not getting the PC2000, but room above the TV is somewhat limited (5 inches?), and more importantly, replacement would mean patching and re-mounting the mounts to accommodate the different mounting distance (I emailed Def Tech and they are different).  Since it's mounted on masonry, I'm not looking forward to doing that, so the 1000 sticks for now.

Any more specific thoughts on the sub upgrade?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts